3-in-1 oil

3-in-1 oil

This is a discussion on 3-in-1 oil within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've been using the same can of 3-in-1 oil for at least 30 years. And it wasn't a new can when I acquired it - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 3-in-1 oil

3-in-1 oil

I've been using the same can of 3-in-1 oil for at least 30 years. And it wasn't a new can when I acquired it - it has "1968" on the side.

Some time back I ran out of military-surplus gun oil and tried the 3-in-1, liked it better, and kept using it. I finally ran out, and my wife brought home a new plastic bottle from the Wall-Mall. I carefully pried the applicator off the old metal fan and refilled it from the new bottle.

Oddly, the 45-year-old oil had a very strong odor; the new stuff has only a very slight odor. 3-in-1 used a lot more citronella back in the old days, particularly for it to be that pungent after 45 years...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I've been using the same can of 3-in-1 oil for at least 30 years. And it wasn't a new can when I acquired it - it has "1968" on the side.

Some time back I ran out of military-surplus gun oil and tried the 3-in-1, liked it better, and kept using it. I finally ran out, and my wife brought home a new plastic bottle from the Wall-Mall. I carefully pried the applicator off the old metal fan and refilled it from the new bottle.

Oddly, the 45-year-old oil had a very strong odor; the new stuff has only a very slight odor. 3-in-1 used a lot more citronella back in the old days, particularly for it to be that pungent after 45 years...
    Let us know how it smells in 2059, when it's time for refill #2.
    halem1, cn262, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I guess I must have been in a coma for 4 or 5 decades, but I did not know 3 in 1 oil was still available! I grew up with a can of 3 in 1 that we used for everything around the house. I'm going out and buy some today; thanks for the tip OP!!!
    fredg53 likes this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I used 3-in-1 oil for years before I started using Frogube and Fireclean, more as an experiment rather than finding a better product. 3-in-1 oil is not a great rust preventitive compared to other gun products but is a fine lube.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    When I was still a kid, I started using 3-In-1 oil for lubing my guns after I had filched all the Singer Sewing Machine oil out of my mother's sewing machine cabinet. I can still smell that strong 3-In-1 odor in my mind which reminds me of fooling with my guns in my bedroom at home.

Actually, I didn't much care for the odor. It did lube well though. I like light oils.
    msgt/ret, OldVet and ccw9mm like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    I guess I must have been in a coma for 4 or 5 decades, but I did not know 3 in 1 oil was still available! I grew up with a can of 3 in 1 that we used for everything around the house. I'm going out and buy some today; thanks for the tip OP!!!
    It's funny how some of the "old standards" have been forgotten. I was looking for Naval Jelly a month or so ago and nobody - not even the guys at the hardware store. I finally Googled it, saw that it was still around, saw a picture of the package and then found it. It used to be that everyone had a clear bottle of the pink gel, just like they had at least one red and white 3-in-1 oil can and one can of WD-40 (which is the only thing that most people still seem to have). Another sign of getting old I guess.

I still use 3 in 1 oil on my firearms as well as sewing machine oil. Its inexpensive, no fancy super duper do everything blather, and it works. Soaks into my parked 1911's and stays there. It works as designed, its a lubricant, not a bore cleaner.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hdhnict's Avatar
    I use it too. Works fine for weekly/monthly lube jobs. I wouldn't recommend for long term (use Vaseline for that).
    Use it for resizing rifle brass too. Wipe on, wipe off, resize.

Best thing about it, clings to bare metal really well!
    I tend to use isopropyl alcohol as a final cleaner/degreaser, then lube.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I don't carry to deter crime. I carry to defend myself!

Senior Moderator
    Once I figured out that WD40 was not worthwhile as a lubricant (about 30 years ago) 3-In-1 has always had a place on my workbench.
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Considering the length of time it takes to turn dinosaur poop and leafs into oil 30 to 50 years doesn't sound like a long time.

The can will probably dissolve before the oil is no longer good.

Oops, I forgot they changed to plastic bottles now for 3in1 so the bottles will last half the life of the oil.

3in1 is a mainstay in home ownership.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    When I was still a kid, I started using 3-In-1 oil for lubing my guns after I had filched all the Singer Sewing Machine oil out of my mother's sewing machine cabinet.

Did much the same thing, myself. The Singer oil was first, then the little bottle of 3-in-1. Ahhh, the memories ...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pretty sure 3 in 1 is mostly 30 weight auto motor oil, but can not remember the brand at this time. I have been pleased with Aeroshell 50 weight drippings out of the airplane oil changes.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

VIP Member
    I have always loved the way 3 in 1 oil smelled as far back as when I was about eight years old. I used to use it on my locomotives.
    oldnfat likes this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I'm old but not old fashioned, I use Mobil1 for lube.

Like the OP, I've got an old can of 3 in 1 I still use occasionally. Not very often, as it does stink to high heaven. Never used it on my weapons, but would if that's all I had.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links