S&W Shield 9mm slide lock loose

This is a discussion on S&W Shield 9mm slide lock loose within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Wonder if anyone else has had this problem, I have a 9mm Shield with two hundred rounds through it. I went to clean it and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: S&W Shield 9mm slide lock loose

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem, I have a 9mm Shield with two hundred rounds through it. I went to clean it and the slide lock would not operate properly. I finally got the slide off only to find the slide lock lever loose and not secured inside the gun. I am extremely disappointed since thus is basically a new gun. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Could you post a pic? I have a Sheild 40 with about 200 - 250 rounds with no problems.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

I wish i could. Unfortunately it takes two people to get the slide off. I will try to get a pic later. Good luck with your Shield.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I have a Shield 9 and the take down lever is very stiff to rotate to the downward position if that's what you mean.

I've had mine for over a year and a half and the only issue I had was a rust colored fungus began growing on the mag release, causing it to stick. I took it out and smoothed it with emery paper. Now I take better care to wipe the release more frequently.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

This is the opposite of complaints I have head,most complain that the slide stop/release is too stiff.
    The easy way is always mined.

I know. I read those too. I didn't have problems with that at all. And I was shocked today when I couldn't get the slide to lock back. I will call Smith and Wesson customer service first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    I've had mine for over a year and a half and the only issue I had was a rust colored fungus began growing on the mag release, causing it to stick. I took it out and smoothed it with emery paper. Now I take better care to wipe the release more frequently.
    Same here.

I wish that was all that was wrong. A disabled carry gun shakes your confidence in the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by gruffman27 View Post
    I wish that was all that was wrong. A disabled carry gun shakes your confidence in the manufacturer.
    I don't think any of them have 100% perfect guns but some have better reputations than others. Most people I have encountered have no problem with the Shield and I am one of them. I hope you get it worked out.

Their customer service is top notch and you have a life-time warranty.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Thanks for your support. That's what I have heard about their customer service. I hope so. I will of course keep everyone posted, particularly their explanation of what they found.
    techieccw and hick63 like this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    All gun makes have problems from time to time. Your confidence need not be shaken over one issue.
    techieccw likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    I wish i could. Unfortunately it takes two people to get the slide off. I will try to get a pic later. Good luck with your Shield.
    I've had 3 Shields and so I don't understand this statement. How would it take two people to get the slide off? You don't need to pull the slide back to remove it. Make sure the magazine is out and there is no round in the chamber (pull the slide back to look and then let it go forward. Rotate the take down lever and then pull the trigger and the slide will come right off. It is safer obviously if you can use the sear release that pushes down when the slide is locked back but it is not necessary to take the pistol apart. I don't like pulling the trigger on guns to take them down but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Maybe my wording is not correct. The take down lever as you call it or the slide lock lever or whatever you want to call it was non-operational. The slide could not be locked back. I might could have pulled the trigger and removed the slide but I did not try that. I had my son hold the slide back (because it would not lock back) and I pushed the small lever, the sear deactivation lever, down and was able to remove the slide. That's when i found the

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links