Complete slide clean?

This is a discussion on Complete slide clean? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; How many rounds do you shoot through a pistol before you break down the whole slide to clean? I've never done it and the most ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 9 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By urge
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By TheBigWanad
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By dangerranger
  • 1 Post By Freedz
  • 1 Post By Will34
  • 4 Post By rammerjammer
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: Complete slide clean?

Complete slide clean?

How many rounds do you shoot through a pistol before you break down the whole slide to clean? I've never done it and the most round count i have through one of my pistols is about 1k. A friend of mine said he usually breaks it down after about 700 rounds. I never see this talked about so not sure what the consensus is.

Senior Moderator
    A complete slide breakdown is further than most manufacturer's recommend the end user performing. Most manuals specifically state not to break down the slide.

IF you feel the need to do it, either make sure you know what you are doing, or take it to a gunsmith for such a cleaning. Don't be the guy who goes to the gunstore with your gun in parts in a baggy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

On my primary carry, my Glock 19, I take down the slide every 500ish rounds, sometimes more, sometimes less. Since I carry it so often I do field strip it after every range trip. Usually every 200 or so rounds I break the frame down. Clean out the trigger bar and connecter to keep the trigger smooth, since powder between the bar and the connector grits up the trigger.
    Sledge likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Depends on the gun and ease of teardown. The 1911 I shoot in a few matches each month gets wiped and lubed after each match, but a detail teardown and cleaning maybe 2-3 times a year. The Kahr that gets a lot of carry use these days has only had the slide torn down once in 6 years (and it didn't really need it).
    Sledge likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

way past what I do.
    Sledge likes this.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I disassemble my Glock slide about once a year for cleaning. With my lessor amount of shooting, I've found very little gunk inside the slide. The working inside the frame as all readily accessible to a good blast of gun cleaner spray without disassembly.
    Sledge likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Everytime I clean my 1911, it's too easy.
    Sledge likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

With carry guns, once a year they get a complete tear down and cleaning. This allows me to get all the pocket lint and grit out of them. Range guns only if I think they need it. Hunting guns every 4 or 5 years. [They don't get shot much and are only carried while actually hunting].

In 2008 My dad gave me a Remington Sportsman 58 shotgun that he had bought new in 1958. I took it home and stripped it down and cleaned everything out. The trigger and forend were full of paper fuzz from shooting paper shells. The next time I saw him I asked how often he had taken it down? He said That was the first time! It had never had a problem. He had only ever cleaned the barrel, gas piston, and exterior. So they can go along time. DR
    Sledge likes this.

If i feel they need that much cleaning I put the whole slide in my ultrasonic for a few minutes. Comes out clean as a whistle. Lil bit of lube and its ready to roll again.
    Sledge likes this.

I field strip, clean and lube my pistols every time I shoot them. Instead of breaking down the whole slide, I spray some Brakleen into the striker channel to clean it out. Hunting rifles are thoroughly broken down and cleaned/lubed at the end of every hunting season.
    Sledge likes this.

I field strip my semi-autos but have never done a complete tear down on any of them.

I would be one of those guys walking into a gunsmith with baggies full of parts.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Take apart the slide to clean? Never. I'll send it back to SIG or a gunsmith and replace extractor/springs/firing pin every 25k rounds. Seriously, if your slide requires cleaning you need a different gun.

During regular cleaning, I'll shoot some break-free/hoppes, followed by gun scrubber and clean gunk out, but never take apart
    Sledge likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Take apart the slide to clean? Never. I'll send it back to SIG or a gunsmith and replace extractor/springs/firing pin every 25k rounds. Seriously, if your slide requires cleaning you need a different gun.

During regular cleaning, I'll shoot some break-free/hoppes, followed by gun scrubber and clean gunk out, but never take apart
    Yep... what I do , that gets anything out of there and do that every time I'm shooting it, and blow it out with some air. Reoil, then it's ready. Never had an issue of any kind. It dissolves anything and everything ... out of there.
    Sledge likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The 3 glocks I shoot regularly (500+ rnds/month between them) I do a complete tear down when I feel like it. Have never found them excessively dirty. Guess I am to lazy to do it every time. I know people that do. Easy enough. My PT809 is field strip only too many little parts to lose and are not available for aftermarket purchase.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links