Cleaning Magazines question

This is a discussion on Cleaning Magazines question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Should I be doing anything to clean my magazines other than wiping them down from the outside occasionally? I've read that you should never lube ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cleaning Magazines question

Should I be doing anything to clean my magazines other than wiping them down from the outside occasionally?

I've read that you should never lube the springs or anything as that will attract more dirt.

What's your magazine maintenance routine?

The spare mag that I carry in my pocket gets broken open often to get the dirt and other crap out. I run a patch of #9 followed by dry patches. I wipe down the spring and follower. My other mags get open once or twice a year for cleaning.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Every once in a blue moon, I disassemble them and spray with brake cleaner. Than I wipe them down and reassemble. No lube/oil.
    Ianthin and StormRhydr like this.

VIP Member
    I give my carry mags a cleanup every 6-8 weeks. Range mags maybe once every 6 months, just to be sure. Don't oil any of them.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    My mags probably get less use than others, so I break them down about once a year unless they get really filthy for some reason. I clean them out with spray cleaner and wipe them dry inside and out. I apply a very light spray of dry lube and wipe them with a clean cloth. Same with springs and followers. No liquid lubes are used. In between break downs I just wipe them clean.
    chp1911 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm sort of a clean freak so I use #9 to wipe each part of the disassembled magazine down - about every third range visit. My firearms get cleaned after every range visit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreadnought View Post
    Should I be doing anything to clean my magazines other than wiping them down from the outside occasionally?

I've read that you should never lube the springs or anything as that will attract more dirt.

What's your magazine maintenance routine?
    There is usually a detent at the baseplate, you push it in and slide the base plate off and be careful of the spring ejecting. Pull them apart and clean them out with solvent and wipe them dry.

VIP Member
    I have never done much to dress up any magazines, occasional lipstick for special occasions. That's about it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I clean mine about every third outing. I would say "trip to the range" ,but it is 40 miles to the nearest range. I just step out of the back door ,or take a short drive to the farm where we built a makeshift range. Only have about 1000 yards ,but it will just have to do until we can clear more ground.

I understand no oil, but how about a silicone rag? I have been wiping down all parts of everything with silicone for many many years now with no ill effects thus far...

Just a quick wipe on wipe off with Frog Lube here. I'll get out a brush if needed.
    Slice11 and BamaT like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

Some mag springs are directional. You can see the difference between each end. Make sure you put them back the same direction they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by backinblack View Post
    I understand no oil, but how about a silicone rag? I have been wiping down all parts of everything with silicone for many many years now with no ill effects thus far...
    Makes sense to me. I would use the rag to lube/clean the spring. No need to do anything to the tube other than wipe it with a clean, lint free rag, but i don't think you're hurting anything.
    Psalm 144:1

I glued the extender piece to to the base plate on the 8 round mags for my shield. Needless to say those aren't coming apart. Other mags maybe once a year if I'm feeling extra motivated.

I clean and "Lightly" oil my mags. They need rust protection just like any other metal part. My carry and range guns mags I use a dry lube on them. it drys to a thin wax, and does not pick up dirt and grit. And I blow them out with compressed air after each use. DR
    StormRhydr likes this.

wash out with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner, blast out and dry with compressed air
    mags in storage get a shot of WD40 (or equivalent) after cleaning, but they get cleaned & dried before use
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links