Which cleaning kit for 9mm Shield? Opinions

This is a discussion on Which cleaning kit for 9mm Shield? Opinions within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; There are so many cleaning kits out there and I narrowed it down to 2. I only have one gun and I'm not concerned with ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CalCarry
  • 2 Post By photoman6
  • 1 Post By CalCarry
  • 1 Post By Texas40

Thread: Which cleaning kit for 9mm Shield? Opinions

New Member Array aholeinthewor1d's Avatar

There are so many cleaning kits out there and I narrowed it down to 2. I only have one gun and I'm not concerned with having tons of extra stuff I won't need or use. Both of these kits seem to be very good quality compared to all the really cheap kits.

https://deweyrods.com/product/38-357...l-cleaning-kit

Classic Box Kit ..38-.357 Cal. / 9mm Pistol

price isn't a concern and neither is the cleaner that comes with one of them. I read all the debates about cleaning rods. Seems some people think stainless rods have more of a chance of harming the barrel and that brass is better because it's softer. On the other hand you have the people who says they only use brushed stainless rods and that softer rods (brass or aluminum) will get grit/dirt imbedded in them if you don't wipe good after each pass which can also scratch/damage the barrel.

I know if you are careful either should be fine just looking for opinions. Do I need the jag and bore brush..they are only $2 a piece to get them separate. thanks

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    I use brass rods with brushes and solvent, then swab it a few times and then use a boresnake a few times.

Since I've switched to froglube for most of my firearms I can do it in the living room if there's something good on the tube.
    Kennydale likes this.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by aholeinthewor1d View Post
    There are so many cleaning kits out there and I narrowed it down to 2. I only have one gun and I'm not concerned with having tons of extra stuff I won't need or use. Both of these kits seem to be very good quality compared to all the really cheap kits.

https://deweyrods.com/product/38-357...l-cleaning-kit

Classic Box Kit ..38-.357 Cal. / 9mm Pistol

price isn't a concern and neither is the cleaner that comes with one of them. I read all the debates about cleaning rods. Seems some people think stainless rods have more of a chance of harming the barrel and that brass is better because it's softer. On the other hand you have the people who says they only use brushed stainless rods and that softer rods (brass or aluminum) will get grit/dirt imbedded in them if you don't wipe good after each pass which can also scratch/damage the barrel.

I know if you are careful either should be fine just looking for opinions. Do I need the jag and bore brush..they are only $2 a piece to get them separate. thanks
    For handguns, I like the ones that have all the parts (rod, brush, slotted tip) contained within a hollow handle.

Here's an example:

Amazon.com : Hoppe's No. 9, 9-Piece Pistol Cleaning Kit : Gun Cleaning Kits : Sports & Outdoors

But...you will probably need a good scrub brush like this as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-III-Black...l+cleaning+kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    For handguns, I like the ones that have all the parts (rod, brush, slotted tip) contained within a hollow handle.

Here's an example:

Amazon.com : Hoppe's No. 9, 9-Piece Pistol Cleaning Kit : Gun Cleaning Kits : Sports & Outdoors

But...you will probably need a good scrub brush like this as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-III-Black...l+cleaning+kit
    I actually almost purchased that but I'd like to stay away from the multi piece rods. I won't be cleaning anywhere but at home

Distinguished Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I use a cheap rod and brush and Frog Lube. That is all I need after buying the Frog Lube kit with paste, brush, and microfiber cloth. Q Tips and pipe cleaners and an old tooth brush help too.
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left"

Clint Eastwood

I just use a bore snake. We only shoot jacketed rounds so our bores stay perfectly clean.

so my old toothbrush, long pipe cleaner and handkerchief is no longer any good?
    Crescentstar and jumperj like this.

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    so my old toothbrush, long pipe cleaner and handkerchief is no longer any good?
    Not without Froglube! JK!
    Crescentstar likes this.

There are no magic lubricants or cleaning systems despite the marketing efforts made. You will do well with a brand name combo cleaner/lubricant like Break Free or similar and a 9mm Bore Snake. That with a rag and Q-Tips will clean your Shield very well. I am fastidious about cleaning my guns and although I own all sorts of cleaning kits and supplies, I usually only use a Bore Snake, some patches and Q-Tips along with a rag. Works for me and has worked for the last few decades.

You may also want to get a non toxic and odorless cleaner like M-Pro 7 along with a dedicated lubricant. I started getting blisters with some products so witched to the milder cleaners and use either a grease or oil lubricant. Whatever is on sale. :) Never had a failure due to a dirty or under lubricated gun in 45 years and that is in combat and competition too. :)

I understand most people saying to piece something together..that's why I picked out those 2 kits..exactly what I need and no extra junk.. and the quality of both is far better than the other kits. It's mainly the debate of rods holding me up. Also i was going to go with gunzilla for cleaner/lube but people say if it sits a while it gunks up. So most likely going with weapon shield.

Looking for pros/cons or opinions just between those two kits

A bore snake and a few swabs is all you really need.
    Not much to cleaning a shield. I do my 40 with a bore snake and swabs in no time. Then lube the spots indicated in the OM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sportymonk likes this.

This is my kit for all of my Glocks and my Shield:

- Small cloth squares cut from an old tshirt
    - Ballistol
    - old toothbrush
    - Bore Snake
    - Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
    - Lucas Red n Tacky grease
    - Generic gun mat
    - Q tips

I use Ballistol to clean, run Gunslick in my bore then when satisfied with the outcome I dry the inside of my bore and apply a light coat of Ballistol in the barrel. I take a Qtip and run a small amount of Lucas red n tacky along the rails and inner roof/walls of the slide as well as the barrel.

This setup has never failed me and even converted a few friends of mine once they got over the smell of Ballistol lol... I found the best results with the foaming bore cleaner as it will turn blue in the presence of carbon buildup. It really does work.

PS- you can always buy a large 16oz can off eBay or Amazon and save your winded sprayer which is 100% compatible and screws on no problem. Or, you can do like I also did and buy a small empty 2oz plastic spray bottle from Walmart and fill it with Ballistol so you can keep it handy when needed in your range bag.

I am sure the OP has long since gotten his cleaning kit but here is my Hoppes cleaning kit along with my new S&W M&P Shield 9mm. $12.95 and actually I returned the original in a plastic wrap container moments after ringing it up as I spotted this kit for the same price with a plastic box to keep it together in. The ammo is all 115gr except the upper left box which is 124gr which I thought I would try some. Which cleaning kit for 9mm Shield? Opinions-img_3764.jpg

Also here is my step father's old S&W 44 Special revolver. Which cleaning kit for 9mm Shield? Opinions-img_3766.jpg

Sponsored Links