Gun got soaked(with water), now what?

This is a discussion on Gun got soaked(with water), now what? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; So far this hasn't happened to me yet anyway, but it is raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock right now. It got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Gun got soaked(with water), now what?

So far this hasn't happened to me yet anyway, but it is raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock right now. It got me thinking, how does a non-gunsmith clean a gun that was soaked or immersed in water. I do not want to fully disassemble it as I am not a gunsmith and do not trust myself to do so. I can field strip per manual but that is as far as i feel comfortable going. I currently carry a Shield 40. Thanks.
    Last edited by techieccw; May 9th, 2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarification
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

What type/brand "gun"? I just gotta ask.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    What type/brand "gun"?
    Sorry, I currently carry a Shield 40.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

You're limited in your ootions. If it got wet you gotta get all of the water off and out of it. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner then it's a simple process. Getbtje obvious water, field strip and drop it all in.

If not, do the same and drop it the while gun in a bowl of rubbing alcohol for a few minutes. Take it out, sling out the loose alcohol and let the rest drain/evaporate then relube everything.
    Kennydale likes this.

Dry it off good ( maybe even stick in a bag with rice or silcon packs ) taken down as far as you can .. Then clean and oil .. You should be good with that gun ... I mean if you tossed in salt water then maybe have a gun smith rip it down but normal water I say just stick in a bag of rice and go from there
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Dry it off good ( maybe even stick in a bag with rice or silcon packs ) taken down as far as you can .. Then clean and oil .. You should be good with that gun ... I mean if you tossed in salt water then maybe have a gun smith rip it down but normal water I say just stick in a bag of rice and go from there
    Being that I rarely travel outside of Kansas, I thinkI should be safe from salt water. Thanks!
    DarylCoda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    Being that I rarely travel outside of Kansas, I thinkI should be safe from salt water. Thanks!
    That is what you do with cell phones and water so I would guess it would work the same with a gun .. Again I would say it depends on how much water and how long and what type .. A splash on it whip it off ,fish it out of a murky lake I would have a gunsmith work on it
    techieccw likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    I don't know. A lot of pools are salt water based.
    Ianthin likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Well, I know that you can at least field strip it for basic cleaning, so we can rule out the barrel since you can clean and lube as usual, and the slide rails as well.
    I would be concerned mainly with the internals like the striker and the striker spring along with the magazines and the magazine springs, maybe the trigger spring since those metal parts will be more susceptible to rust in a short amount of time. I'm just going to run a few things by you that you might want to try. Some may sound silly, but you never know.
    Buy a ten pound bag of white rice and throw the pistol into the bag full of rice to wick out the moisture. Pack your pistol in desiccant bags. BC makes a product called Gun Scrubber (it's a blaster aerosol can), it's a cleaner and dries/evaporates quickly, it will also remove most if not all of your favorite lubricant as well. CLP comes in a large aerosol can too, without the tube in the spray button it's a blaster also, since it is a Clean lubricant and Protectant, I think it's not recommended to get that (lube) in the firing pin or striker channel. There is also a product called Rust Prevent and from my experience it is also a basic lube but not long lasting lube (not actually intended for that). Most semi autos these days are really easy to break down for a detailed cleaning (this is what I would actually recommend) even if it's watching a youtube video.
    Anyways, FWIW. I've been fishing in the middle of the White river with my G27 completely submerged many times, but I have detail stripped it for cleaning afterward. I don't know if I'd actually take my P220 into the drink and feel as comfortable afterwards.

Note: It takes me too long to type out a good response, so anyone who has already posted before me, I'm honestly not copying or reiterating what you've already posted for answers. Just FYI
    msgt/ret and techieccw like this.

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar
    mine are lubed, when they get soaked i just field strip them, towel them off and blow compressed air through them, relube and put it back into its holster.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    mine are lubed, when they get soaked i just field strip them, towel them off and blow compressed air through them, relube and put it back into its holster.
    Re-lube is key and getting that lube where needed. Compressed air contains water vapor, and a tiny amount of compressor lubricant. A lot of leather holsters also retain moisture, so if putting into a leather holster for storage, I'd make sure the pistol was completely dry. (link to forum content) Leather holsters causing rust?
    techieccw, SIGP250 and Doorman55 like this.

VIP Member
    WD-40 = Water Displacement - Formula 40

I know we don't usually recommend WD-40 for guns, but this is the perfect application for it.

Other than that, I would ask what kind of water?

Rainwater - WD-40, or some other water displacing spray
    Flood water, Lake water - Gunsmith, for complete tear down.

Believe me, if it's been in flood water, you really don't want to be exposed to whatever may be in your item.

As said previously, re-lube generously.

All in all, it's not really a problem unless the gun has been immersed.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    What I would do. Soak it for half an hour in Clean water then Blow dry it with a hair dryer. Then field strip it and Spray the internals with Break Free letting it soak in for about an hour. Followed by a Good cleaning and a Bigtime Lube using Hoppe`s Ultra gun oil. Then checking up on things weekly for a Month for any rust. Good Luck!!.
    ccw9mm and SIGP250 like this.

Clean it and move on it is no big deal. WD-40 is a Water displacer that is it's claim to fame . When we used Corrosive ammo we cleaned the weapons in hot soapy water first.
    USM1976, Doorman55 and Eric357 like this.

Fresh water rinse, rubbing alcohol soak, store in rice, relube and reassemble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links