Cleaning SS pistol

Cleaning SS pistol

This is a discussion on Cleaning SS pistol within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hi all, I just got a S&W model 627 in matte SS in .357. (my first SS handgun) I put about 50 rounds through it ...

Thread: Cleaning SS pistol

Cleaning SS pistol

Hi all,
    I just got a S&W model 627 in matte SS in .357. (my first SS handgun) I put about 50 rounds through it and was trying to clean it and the powder stains seem to be really tenacious to the SS. I tried my normal nitro solvent which helped but there are still discolorations on the outside of the cylinder and around the barrel/frame areas.
    Is there a special cleaner I need to use on matte SS? Is this discoloration "normal" on matte SS? It almost looks like the metal is permanently stained.
    Any help is appreciated.

I have this same problem with my polished SS revolver. In the past I was always able to get the stains off scrubbing with Hopps #9 but it takes some time. I also would be interested if there is a easier way.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I use BreakFree Powder Blast. It comes in a spray can and is orange scented. I use it on all of my firearms. It may take a little elbow grease to remove the powder burn residue but usually works fine.

**Use at own risk**

You may want to try a little *Brake cleaner or as a final resort, *Carburetor cleaner. Spray the cleaner on the corner of a rag or use a Q-tip, carefully wipe the area affected. This should remove the residue.

*NEVER use these cleaners on a gun that has a blue or black finish. Carburetor cleaner WILL remove your guns finish. Do not get Carb cleaner on anything plastic.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

#9 and the brass bore brush and a tooth brush will do the job. that's what i use on my model 60.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Would there be anything wrong with going after the fouling with a brass bristled toothbrush?

Administrator
    Would there be anything wrong with going after the fouling with a brass bristled toothbrush?

No Problem. Sometimes I just use a bronze bore brush as a scrub brush.

I recommend picking up a lead removal cloth...it'll clean the powder residue right off, as well...just keep it away from any blued pieces (ie, sights).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I recommend picking up a lead removal cloth...it'll clean the powder residue right off, as well...just keep it away from any blued pieces (ie, sights).
    +1 on the lead cloth

These work better than any of the solvants and elbow grease. A couple of wipes and it's gone.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I use microfiber cloths to clean all my guns, bar the barrels and hard to reach places.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Gunzilla breaks the bond of carbon, It removes carbon off the firearm better than anything nelse. It's also made from plants and it safe. No offensive odor, No ammonias.

I have a stainless colt 1911. I was amazed on how clean the firearm look after using Gunzilla.

Gunzilla
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Ok I just ordered the 8 oz spray if this is as good as you say I will have to send my daughter a bottle too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, I'll get another bottle ready to send.....lol
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Thanks for all the responses. Since posting I bought one of those "lead removal cloths" and it really does work. I think I'll get a bottle of the Gunzilla too.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    Well, I'll get another bottle ready to send.....lol
    Get 1 more bottle ready along with some Copperzilla.

I had to pay Arizona Tax so does that mean you are actualy the source of this stuff.

I have a couple thousand cast or swaged bullets on the shelf cause I got tired of getting the lead out. If this works as advertised you will have a number of new customers from my neck of the woods.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I am just a dealer. I met the owner in AR during the World SWAT challenge.
    I started Gunzilla and liked it so much I started promoting it to my CCW students. It was just easier to become a dealer when my CCW students wanted to get some.
    It's also the only think my officers use on thier duty weapons, which are Kimbers.

Links