WD-40 for maintenance?

This is a discussion on WD-40 for maintenance? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Tom G I have a g 19 and WD40 is a good cleaner for the sticky stuff but it is not a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WD-40 for maintenance?

Wink Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I have a g 19 and WD40 is a good cleaner for the sticky stuff but it is not a lubricant. If your gun gets real wet it is a good product for displacing water.
    Again, this is a YEAH, BUT situation. True it displaces water, BUT there are better products designed specifically for firearms and add metal preservatives and lube as well.

For example:
    1. Birchwood Casey makes "SHEATH"
    2. MPH System Specialties makes "STRIKE HOLD"
    3. Gun Slick makes GUN SEAL.

I have used all of these and they are all so good, I don't particularly favor one over another. Right now, I have all of them in my inventory. I seem to have a group of Gun Slick products so I guess I'm using them in concert, but it really is pure happenstance.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

WD-40 for maintenance?
    For maintenance? In a factory? Sure....I do maintenance in a factory, but still rather not use WD-40 unless it's all I've got. Lots better things...lubricants/preservatives. WD-40 on a gun? Never!

WD-40 has many uses...the best here in FL has been to wipe the front of the car down in May and September...with a little WD-40 on a cloth. This make the removal of 'love bugs' (those in FL know about that problem) rather easy.

However, I would not select it to use on my firearms. There are far superior products designed for the cleaning and lubrication of weapons. Perhaps in an emergency, but not as a regular cleaning and lubrication agent on MY guns.

OMO

Stay armed...stay clean and lubed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I am in a hurry I use WD-40 and a Boresnake for cleaning purposes only. Otherwise I use Ed's Red and brake cleaner. As for lubrication, I use molly grease on the rails and Mobil 1 on everything else.
    bonis nocet quisqus malis perpercit

Brake cleaner cleans real good.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Administrator
    The solvent in WD-40 evaporates away and then just leaves a thin film mineral oil trace.

Any PH neutral oil that blocks out moisture and air will prevent rust and corrosion from forming on metal.

That having been said there are modern synthetic lubricants that are far more "slippery" and "friction reducing" than mineral oil and will stay put better and longer.

So while there is technically nothing wrong with WD-40 there are more effective gun oils out there these days that are specifically tailored to firearms.

I really like WeaponShield CLP but, Gunzilla is getting rave positive reviews from everybody that tries it.

I use Hoppes No. 9 and rem oil on all my guns. I have used WD-40 on my 870 when it got submerged in a saltwater marsh. I did however clean it with rem oil when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAdams View Post
    I've been using WD40 for about 30 years as well. No problems, no rust and no sticky residue. The finish on my guns are also like new.
    Same here...........Blueing looks great year after year of hunting, shooting, and carrying in the rain and snow.

I use to use it on my guns, but then I noticed the ejector rods on my revolvers would not move freely. There was a gummy residue that made them stiff and stick in the open position. I now use either Militec-1 or Hoppes oil.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Exclamation Best Evaluation Process In The World

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    I now use either Militec-1 or Hoppes oil.
    Yeah, I tend to watch what the troops use. I discovered Militec-1 by accident after a buddy in the sandbox told me they offer FREE samples and also have a special program whereby civilians can buy from the factory and have the product shipped directly to their loved one "in-country." I like to support industries that support the troops.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I use WD-40 to help clean dirty guns because of its solvent qualities, but I think of it like this: A gun, especially a pump or semi-auto has reciprocating parts like an engine. Would you run WD-40 in your cars' engine?

I use gallons of WD-40 myself on all kinds of things, but I only use it to clean my guns and wipe them down. For lubricating I use Castrol Syntech.
    You use engine oil for your guns? I use Castrol Syntec German formula in my GTO, but I used Spec 308 and Spec 357 on my Glock. 308 for the slide rails and a drop of 357 to rub down the outside of the barrel and the inside of the slide. A total of two small drops of the 357 and 308.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I've never used it on guns, always heard it left something sticky behind. I noted in the Wiki entry it mentions that. I see that the main components are mineral spirits-which I use to clean up really filthy guns-and mineral oil, which is a much lighter lubricant that I would want to run in a high round count gun or that I trust to stay on a holster gun. But, for light stuff, like maybe .22s, maybe it would be okay. But again, the whole "sticky residue" puts me off.
    If it works for you, then it's okay for you...hard to argue with that.
    I was told by a gunsmith that it leaves a residue on a gun that will cause problems in areas like the trigger group. I'd use something made for the purpose like Essox (sp?) - slickest stuff known to man.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you read Wikipedia's article on WD-40, you will find that of all it's intended purposes listed, firearms maintainence is not one of them. It was intended to be a water displacing penetrating lubricant, which it does well, too well. So well in fact, that I wouldn't stake my life on it. With so many products designed specifically for guns, why use WD-40?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    WD40 will leave a residue and gum up if not cleaned completely out once in a while. Locksmiths worn against it for this reason. Perhaps your cleaning habits avoided this. Should you take a chance?...

I use Mobile 1 motor oil after reading about it in several different locations. It is slick stuff and is designed for heat and abuse. I could tell a definite difference right away. Cost effective too as you only need a drop at each lube point. A quart will last a long time and it won't 'run off' in short order like thinner oils sold just for guns. I used to spend a minute fortune on REM-OIL. I foresee the Mobile 1 lasting me at least a couple years.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I'm in the camp of pgrass101, but I first use Hoppe's powder solvent, then WD-40 to pick up the remaining solvent and anything the solvent missed, then wipe it all down with Hoppe's gun oil. Of course, I like cleaning and tinkering with the pieces. I don't mind taking 15 minutes to do the multi-step process... some folks would consider this borderline obsessive-compulsive... haha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links