WD-40 for maintenance?

WD-40 for maintenance?

This is a discussion on WD-40 for maintenance? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hello, it's great to be part of your forum, thank you. I've been using WD-40 for more than thirty years to lubricate my guns. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WD-40 for maintenance?

WD-40 for maintenance?

Hello, it's great to be part of your forum, thank you. I've been using WD-40 for more than thirty years to lubricate my guns. I have heard only negative comments and warnings about WD-40. All of my guns function flawlessly and the finish on everyone of them is like new. I have never experienced any of the negatives described by so many others, to include any contamination of primers. Does anyone use WD-40 as I do, and if so, have you experienced any negative effects? I keep asking myself if there is just a lot of bias out there for some strange reason I don't know about, otherwise, why haven't I had any negatives to talk about in all these years? Sure would appreciate some input.

Sorry no answer, but it is good to start the day by learning something (for me anyway).

WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never used it on guns, always heard it left something sticky behind. I noted in the Wiki entry it mentions that. I see that the main components are mineral spirits-which I use to clean up really filthy guns-and mineral oil, which is a much lighter lubricant that I would want to run in a high round count gun or that I trust to stay on a holster gun. But, for light stuff, like maybe .22s, maybe it would be okay. But again, the whole "sticky residue" puts me off.
    If it works for you, then it's okay for you...hard to argue with that.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I haven't tried WD40 and honestly I have no intension of trying it.
    Do a little experiment at home and you'll see why.
    Take a piece of metal, it can be anything, spray it down with WD40 and let it sit where it will collect some dust and dirt. Let it sit there for about 5 or 6 days. Now take a clean white cloth and wipe it off.
    See that sticky residue on the cloth? If something leaves a sticky residue behind that sticky residue will collect dust and dirt. A gun gives off a lot dust and dirt when it's fired.
    Here's another experiement go to the range and fire at least 50 rounds, come home and clean the gun. This time use Break-Free instead of the WD40, then go to the range and shoot 50 more rounds, come home and clean the gun. Compare how much gunk comes off the weapon between the two cleanings then decide if you still want to use the WD40.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I've been using WD40 for about 30 years as well. No problems, no rust and no sticky residue. The finish on my guns are also like new.

WD 40 is a great lubricant on everything... Except firearms. Get a good gun oil like Remoil or break free. These are designed for firearms and will give you the best results.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

i have used it for many mango seasons on everything. also guns. on the safe queens i take them out and give them a shot of wd40 down the barrel twice a year. over the last 30 plus years i do sometimes get a sticky residue in the action. but a cleaning before the safe queens go to the range and all is ok. is there better out there? don't know.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I've heard yes and no..... I would say no b/c why not use something that was made exactly for you gun..... I use BreakFree CLP (Clean, Lubricate and Protect metal). It works really well and its not abrasive on any finish that I have ever used it on. Its all I use.... and maybe just a couple drops of gun oil on areas where metal is really rubbing against metal.

I use WD-40 to help clean dirty guns because of its solvent qualities, but I think of it like this: A gun, especially a pump or semi-auto has reciprocating parts like an engine. Would you run WD-40 in your cars' engine?

I use gallons of WD-40 myself on all kinds of things, but I only use it to clean my guns and wipe them down. For lubricating I use Castrol Syntech.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    I use WD-40 for cleaning but wipe the gun down and then oil it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

In emergency situations only.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I have used it and never noticed a residue of any kind. Not to say it doesnt happen though.

Rem Oil or CLP for me.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I appreciate all of the replies, thank you. Again, this is a great forum, I'm glad I found it and can be a part of it.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I use it all the time for cleaning, not the best lube though. Some people love it, others hate it. WD-40 is not as bad for you as many of the other cleaners, but still wear gloves.

Yup, I’ve been using it for cleaning for about 25 years now and have had no problems. Is it the best thing in the world for cleaning? Probably not, but it works well and does not cause any problems. I do, however use a couple of drops of regular gun oil or Break Free to lube the slide and barrel before shooting.

I would never try to convince anybody that it is a good product to use for cleaning a gun, but on the other hand, I take issue when somebody tries to tell me that my 25 years of first hand experience is “just wrong”.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links