.357-.38 spl. Fouled cylinder problem/maintenance

This is a discussion on .357-.38 spl. Fouled cylinder problem/maintenance within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; The .357 magnum is new to me. I know that it will shoot .38 spl. too. I've read that there would be a problem firing ...

The .357 magnum is new to me. I know that it will shoot .38 spl. too. I've read that there would be a problem firing .357's in the gun after firing the .38 spl. rounds due to the shorter length. My question is, how many rounds of .38 spl. would I have to shoot for there to be a problem? And, shouldn't a normal cleaning remove any fouling or build-up in the end of the cylinders? Any help in understanding this, and proper maintenance information would be appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    What you heard is right, or at least it is with my Ruger GP100.
    Tooh it to the range a few weeks ago, fired 50 rounds of .38 special and then switched to .357. I had a tough time getting the .357 rounds into the cylinder all the way due to the ridge that formed in the cylinders. I ran a brush through the cylinders and it helped but when I started cleaning it I could still feel and see a ridge. It came out with a good cleaning, brushing it pretty briskly.
    If you're going to fire both rounds, just fire the .357 first, and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    The .357 magnum is new to me. I know that it will shoot .38 spl. too. I've read that there would be a problem firing .357's in the gun after firing the .38 spl. rounds due to the shorter length. My question is, how many rounds of .38 spl. would I have to shoot for there to be a problem? And, shouldn't a normal cleaning remove any fouling or build-up in the end of the cylinders? Any help in understanding this, and proper maintenance information would be appreciated.
    You should clean your chambers well after practicing with 38Spls. I use a chamber brush which you can get at Midway or Brownells. I've shot 38s in 357 Magnum revolvers for some 40 years without any problems.

just clean it before you change to 357mag.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

not a big deal...just keep it clean. I've never had an issue with mine and there have been times when I've shot a couple hundred rounds of .38 before switching to .357.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    As long as the revolver is cleaned after each shooting session, it should not be a problem. Heat will be a problem before fouling buildup.

Is there a difference between a bore brush and a chamber brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Is there a difference between a bore brush and a chamber brush?
    Just the size, the chamber brush being a bit larger. Actually I have used 40 cal bore brushes in the 357 chamber for lack of a chamber brush.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    just the size, the chamber brush being a bit larger. Actually i have used 40 cal bore brushes in the 357 chamber for lack of a chamber brush.
    thanks.

I think the type of bullet will make a difference,a lead bullet will create more buildup quicker than a jacketed bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I used to use something called a Lewis Lead Remover. It was a rod with a brass screen and rubber plug at one end. Sort of a brute force way of dealing it. Very quick and effective.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Interesting..... I've never had the problem and I've shot as many as 200 rounds of .38 and then went to .357's and shot a 100 rounds of them, without any issues at all. Out of 5 revolvers, I've never had the issue.

Links