Caked Bore

Caked Bore

This is a discussion on Caked Bore within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; OK, I found that the bore of my XD is caked with I assume lead. Caked may be an over statement, but it's a good ...

Thread: Caked Bore

Caked Bore

OK, I found that the bore of my XD is caked with I assume lead. Caked may be an over statement, but it's a good description. I like to think I am pretty good about cleaning my gun, but evidently that is not the case. So, that brings up two obvious questions:

1: How do I clean it, so far I have had little luck.

2: How do I avoid it in the future. Is this from round nose lead bullets?
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Yes, from round nose lead bullets. Try soaking the barrel with WD-40 overnight, then a good brushing.

lead build up

There are any number of comercially available lead cleaners out there, BUTCH'S BORE SHINE at Brownells

I have had good luck with this in the past shooting cast bullets

Some others are
    Ed's red (I believe there is a home recipe for that floating around)
    Montana 50bmg
    Even hoppes and a bore brush but the others will cut it much faster.
    I like to try to stick with solvents and patches but have had to in the past resort to using losso bore paste on a barrel mop to remove some really bad fouling in the throat area of a 22-250 but That is always my last resort.
    As a side note a god quality brass patch jag matched to your guns caliber is you friend not just those hoppes plastic patch hoops that come in that basic kits. It will push the patch against the bore evenly and clean much more effiecently BRASS JAGS & LOOPS at Brownells

What kinda bullets are you shooting and are they lubed,are you casting your own and if so you do not want to use pure lead as it is too soft and will lead up your barrel quick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you really have a serious leading problem, a Lewis Lead Remover will work wonders.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Copper chore-boy scrubber pads, cut a bit off, and wrap it around a brush. Works wonders on getting the lead out.

Make sure it's not steel with a copper coating... a quick check with a magnet will insure you don't ruin a perfectly good barrel.

If you're getting thick leading, quickly, you need to look at the ammo you're using. Leading can be drastically reduced if the load is matched to the hardness of the bullet. Too soft a bullet over too heavy a charge will lead up quickly, as will too hard a bullet over too light a charge.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Copper chore-boy scrubber pads, cut a bit off, and wrap it around a brush. Works wonders on getting the lead out.

Make sure it's not steel with a copper coating... a quick check with a magnet will insure you don't ruin a perfectly good barrel.

If you're getting thick leading, quickly, you need to look at the ammo you're using. Leading can be drastically reduced if the load is matched to the hardness of the bullet. Too soft a bullet over too heavy a charge will lead up quickly, as will too hard a bullet over too light a charge.
    Armscor Precision 9mm, 124 Gr. lead Round Nose
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I use Break Free Bore Foam. It will break up the lead deposits and the copper from jacketed ammo. The foam turns blue as it encounters the deposits and after 15 mins, you can swab out the entire chamber and bore and it will be good as new. It has worked great for me. I use it on all of my handguns and my AR-15 too.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links