Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

This is a discussion on Lubrication: Grease or Oil? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I currently use Miltec for my weapons at home and in my M4 - seems to work fine. I have heard a great deal of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

I currently use Miltec for my weapons at home and in my M4 - seems to work fine. I have heard a great deal of good things about grease. My only concern is that with an M4 in a place like Iraq/Afghanistan, grease will probably attract more dust/dirt/etc. Stateside, I think grease might be the way to go. I am gonna try grease on my pistols, next time I shoot. Grease seems good because it stays put, doesn't leak, etc.

Anyone used high temp wheel bearing grease or axle grease? Heard this stuff is the ****.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

2. Remove Ads

When choosing a grease its important to find out at what temperature its works at its best. Some greases you're find do not at all work well once the weapon is hot, and others don't work well until the weapon is hot. Allot of greases function better then oils once the weapon starts to get a heavy carbon build up on it, after your first 500 or 1000 rounds or so. Oils on the other hand generally work the best starting from when you first pull the trigger and get progressively worst after that from carbon build up. If your going to use a oil id recommend one that has carbon breaking down property's like CLP or one of the many variations of that, versus using one thats just a straight oil with no cleaning properties. If you want your weapon to function after you've fired many rounds through it. The other problem with oil is it can "dry up" sort to speak and require you to reapply it now and then.

Although almost all oil and grease's tell you not to use them in conjunction with other oils and greases it can be done. Although it might be hotly debated by some if this is a good course of action to take or not i've gotten awesome reliability out of some fire arms in adverse conditions from such mixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    I currently use Miltec for my weapons at home and in my M4 - seems to work fine. I have heard a great deal of good things about grease. My only concern is that with an M4 in a place like Iraq/Afghanistan, grease will probably attract more dust/dirt/etc. Stateside, I think grease might be the way to go. I am gonna try grease on my pistols, next time I shoot. Grease seems good because it stays put, doesn't leak, etc.

Anyone used high temp wheel bearing grease or axle grease? Heard this stuff is the ****.
    You can use TW 25B on your m4 its what i use. I still use CLP on the buffer spring assembly, but i use TW 25B on all other parts. Its a thick white grease like whale sperm with no Teflon in it so you can use it on your M4 or 50 cal. Ive gotten great results from this in such areas as you listed.

I know of several cases in Afghanistan where motor oil was used as lubricant on 50 cals because the unit ran out of proper lube and they function fine except the operator was left with dark oil spots all over his flak from the weapon spitting it out.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    When I do my firearms, which are mine and not yours, I use grease where I have metal riding on metal and oil where metal pivots on pins.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    When I do my firearms, which are mine and not yours, I use grease where I have metal riding on metal and oil where metal pivots on pins.
    +1 For the grease, I use Tetra Grease. A little bit goes a long way. It is used in a nearly dry application after buffing into the metal surface.
    My oil preference is Weapon Shield. Again, a little goes a long way, and it makes cleanup a snap. (Smells nice, too.)

A mix of MC2500 oil and TW25B grease from www.Mil-Comm.com. This process was taught to me by Paul Howe. It works for him so it works for me. He believes in a wet weapon (rifle and pistol). Easy to put on and never a problem.

For lubrication on my pistols (Glocks and HKs) I prefer to use Mobil 1 Jet Oil II (synthetic). Its good from -74.20F to +518.00F.

grease on my "fighting guns," oil on my "pretty guns"
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Okay lift your minds higher and address this issue as it pertains to firearms maintenance.

Do you use grease or oil and does it matter where in the country you are located? Climate wise? Oil for daily carry & grease for long term storage? Or vice versa? Any preferences? Why?

Next, are grease points on a handgun different from oil points? Explain.
    All weapons are different . Use what the manufacture recommends.

Most gun outfitters do not carry anything other than solvent and light gun oil.

Some pistols only require only a good quality gun oil.

For my Sig, I lightly oil at 4 points on the slide and lightly spray white lithium grease on two points each time I clean the pistol.

Usually you will need to go to an auto parts store to buy white lithium grease in a spray can.

Grease where specified by the manufacturer of the pistol is superior to oil in that it will not wear off.

Grease generally will withstand temperature extremes better than light oil but should not be considered much of a concern.

Just bought grease, can't wait to give it a try. I spent a grand total of $4.65. At Walmart, the grease was $2.97 and the Syringe was $1.68. The grease is Hi-Temp Lithium Wheel Bearing Grease - stuff is supposed to be the ****.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links