Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

This is a discussion on Lubrication: Grease or Oil? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Okay lift your minds higher and address this issue as it pertains to firearms maintenance. Do you use grease or oil and does it matter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

Wink Lubrication: Grease or Oil?

Okay lift your minds higher and address this issue as it pertains to firearms maintenance.

Do you use grease or oil and does it matter where in the country you are located? Climate wise? Oil for daily carry & grease for long term storage? Or vice versa? Any preferences? Why?

Next, are grease points on a handgun different from oil points? Explain.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Im in the south and I use both.

On my P11 Grease points and oil points are different.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Im in the south and I use both.

On my P11 Grease points and oil points are different.
    Both at the same time? Why?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Both, doesn't everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Both at the same time? Why?
    Because grease stays put where oil doesnt as much. So I grease the rails and the slide at the rails.

Here is the link for the lube guide used by many for the Keltec pistols. This one references a 32 but the P11 is similar.

GoldenLoki.com
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Real Happy with Nano Lube

I use Nano Lube on my weapons and find it works very well. Take a look at NanoTechnology Lubrication Breakthrough I saw this last year on "Guns & Ammo TV" (I think) and went to the web site and bought it and have used it ever since. Have never had a problem with the gun running dry. It takes VERY LITTLE to do your lube.

Do a search and look at the web site. For me I think it is worth the money. Also if used on your trigger sear (Very little) you will find a much better trigger action.. It will wear in and you will think you had a trigger job done on you gun - at least as close as you can get without actually spending the money on a gunsmith!

Darv

I've come around to being a full-fledged greaser, Ex. Pistols and rifles. Rails and railways, locking contact points, and any other high friction areas. I use Marvel Mystery Oil as a cleaner and surface oil.

both for me on all of my guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I use grease on surfaces subject to high pressure and shear forces, and oil for pivoting assemblies.

Well, some brands like the Glock and to a lesser extent, the H&K actually run better when somewhat dry. Glocks in particular. Why do you think cops love 'em?

Wink Mork from Ork?

Quote Originally Posted by happytrails6 View Post
    I use Nano Lube on my weapons and find it works very well. Take a look at NanoTechnology Lubrication Breakthrough I saw this last year on "Guns & Ammo TV" (I think) and went to the web site and bought it and have used it ever since. Have never had a problem with the gun running dry. It takes VERY LITTLE to do your lube.

Do a search and look at the web site. For me I think it is worth the money. Also if used on your trigger sear (Very little) you will find a much better trigger action.. It will wear in and you will think you had a trigger job done on you gun - at least as close as you can get without actually spending the money on a gunsmith!

Darv
    Welcome to the forum. The stuff you list above sounds exactly like this stuff: MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil which I have used with pretty good results. But I'll look at the nano nano stuff (Mork from Ork?).

I did look over the site, but not close enough.

VIP Member
    I use both on the rails. They just stay slick longer.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    In sub-zero temps and when the firearm will be exposed, I remove all traces of grease and oil and lubricate with Rem-Oil. For on-body carry or on the range in the summer, I use Singer sewing machine oil, cheap but high quality and non-gummy. Grease, and to some extent oil, will trap and hold carbon and dirt. So the trick is both to add a drop or two to the slide and rails now and then to flush them out, and to clean and oil the gun frequently. The Kimber 1911 manual's oil points can be seen at Gunthorp Firearm Cleaning Tips and Supplies
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I use both Militec-1 grease and oil.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Hope you don't mind....

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    In sub-zero temps and when the firearm will be exposed, I remove all traces of grease and oil and lubricate with Rem-Oil. For on-body carry or on the range in the summer, I use Singer sewing machine oil, cheap but high quality and non-gummy. Grease, and to some extent oil, will trap and hold carbon and dirt. So the trick is both to add a drop or two to the slide and rails now and then to flush them out, and to clean and oil the gun frequently. The Kimber 1911 manual's oil points can be seen at Gunthorp Firearm Cleaning Tips and Supplies
    I down loaded this and sent it to my novice students. Excellent read. The only part I disagree with is breaking in a new barrel so I excised that part. In fact I'm keeping it bookmarked as a personal reference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links