Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle

This is a discussion on Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This may in fact be one of the oldest threads I've seen brought back!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle

This may in fact be one of the oldest threads I've seen brought back!

2. Remove Ads

I just cleaned all the rental guns at a gun range with Gunzilla last week,afew squirts some brush and patch work and they looked great,bore bright and shiney etc.I'm at the point where I used a large spray bottle and a 32 ounce refill bottle and have about 4 oz left,gonna be ordering 2 32 oz bottles one for me and one for a friend
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread but many people like the fact that Gunzilla has very little smell, is gentle on the hands, and contains no hazardous chemicals.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The one positive about Gunzilla that I can verify is that it doesn't smell bad as other products might.

Does it work any better as a lube that old time 3-in-one oil? Not that I can tell.

Does it clean any better than Hoppes (or insert cleaner of choice)? Not that I can tell. Maybe if I went 1000 rounds between cleaning I might could tell a difference, but I clean after every firing session and not all that much gunk builds up.

Does it preserve any better than (insert brand name here)? Can't say. My S/S guns and Glocks don't really care.

If one is prudent in cleaning firearms with any product, all will be well. I have firearms stored for 20 years with no more than a light wipedown with inexpensive Outers gun oil prior to storage that still have no signs of rust.

So of you think Gunzilla merits the high price it costs, go for it. All I can say is it smells better than the rest.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It also seems to repel dust rather than make it stick to the gun. This is especially good on a gun that you pocket carry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

So of you think Gunzilla merits the high price it costs, go for it. All I can say is it smells better than the rest.
    Actually when you consider the small amount of gunzilla that you need to clean it is in line with many other cleaners...only it works better..Just Saying
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I use it and set all my other cleaning supplies aside. Gunzilla is the best IMHO.
    +1 Best IMO

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvilhead View Post
    Gunzilla Rust Prevention

Been using EEZOX for years and have been happy with it. Read a lot about Gunzilla and decided to try it. Ordered some - prior to using, I decided to test it for rust prevention. Took 3 new 16 penny nails. Submerged one in Eezox, one in Gunzilla and did nothing to the third. Took nails out of the Eezox and Gunzilla and layed on work bench to dry till the next day. Next day, I drove the nails into a piece of 2 X 4 about 1" deep. I put the 2X 4 outside on 2 June 2011. On 4 June 2011, I sprayed down with a salt water solution. On 5 June, the untreated nail had a lot of rust on it and the Gunzilla nail was starting to rust. By the 21st of June, the untreated nail and the Gunzilla nail were both very badly rusted - could not tell the difference between them. The Eezox nail had no rust. Today is 4 July 2011 and the Eezox nail still has no sign of rust - not even on the head of the nail which I used the hammer on to drive it into the 2 X 4. It has rained several times per week for nearly the whole time that the nails have been outside.

Gunzilla sounded good, but guess I will stay with the Eezox.
    You know, I think I read this very same post on a different forum recently. That guy only had a few posts there too.

This my friends is the testimony of a shill.

Now I don't think GZ is the do everything cleaner that they say it is. It doesn't remove copper very well so it doesn't "do it all". That said, it does work pretty well and it doesn't stink either. It really works well in my pistols and my AR. For my larger rifles I usually use something else to remove the copper and then clean with GZ. I have had no rust issues at all.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Gunzilla is exceptionally good stuff, but I have to use it with a mask over my face and with rubber gloves on .... seriously, I really do.

I have some sort of allergic reaction to Gunzilla that I've not figured out yet. I don't have the same reaction with Breakfree or ATF, and I couldnt' begin to tell you why the Gunzilla affects me the way it does. It's a shame, because the stuff really, really works very well. But when I've exhausted my supply of it I will unfortunately not buy anymore.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Gunzilla is exceptionally good stuff, but I have to use it with a mask over my face and with rubber gloves on .... seriously, I really do.

I have some sort of allergic reaction to Gunzilla that I've not figured out yet. I don't have the same reaction with Breakfree or ATF, and I couldnt' begin to tell you why the Gunzilla affects me the way it does. It's a shame, because the stuff really, really works very well. But when I've exhausted my supply of it I will unfortunately not buy anymore.
    If you can't get along with Gunzilla you might try Ballistol. I have used both products and found them both good. I don't see Gunzilla as being noticeably superior to Ballistol. As I recall, Ballistol is a bit less expensive than Gunzilla.

Cold Weather and Going Rancid. I have read on other forums that Gunzilla, being water based, will freeze solid when it gets cold enough. Below 28degs, it turns into grease. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have also read that Gunzilla, when on a firearm too long will turn rancid since it is plant based. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Doc
    "...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 King James Version

I prefer Weapon Shield. I've found it to work better overall and it smells better. Weapon Shield also has significantly better rust prevention. Rust prevention is Gunzilla's weak area. If Gunzilla is all you use, you should supplement it with a good rust prevention product.

Retail Product - Weapon Shield lubricant, cleaner and preservative - Advanced Boundary Film Technology - Steel Shield Technologies

VIP Member
    I'd say it's neither myth nor miracle. It is however, a good cleaning solution, but not the best for protection.

It does seem to repel dust, but it also seems to dry out over time. Those properties will lend itself more to some firearms vs. others.

It's perfect for Glocks and any other firearm that likes to run fairly dry. However for say, 1911's, I prefer a heavier oil to keep the skids greased.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Gunzilla does a good job, but I still think Blue Wonder is superior. It does a better job, is easier to apply and work with and the tube seems to last forever.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Gunzilla anyone know how it compares to Ballistol?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links