Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle - Page 3

Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle

This is a discussion on Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; We really need a properly designed study with double blinding and random assignment and a couple of dozen people using each product for a few ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gunzilla ~ Myth or Miracle

We really need a properly designed study with double blinding and random assignment and a couple of dozen people using each product for a few months. Anecdotal evidence and marketing quotes just ain't gonna tell us what we need to know. Is there a 'Consumer Reports' for shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    We really need a properly designed study with double blinding and random assignment and a couple of dozen people using each product for a few months. Anecdotal evidence and marketing quotes just ain't gonna tell us what we need to know. Is there a 'Consumer Reports' for shooters?
    +1 on that!

I switched to Gunzilla from Hoppes over a year ago. Cleans very well, has no unpleasant odor. I know that it is touted as both a cleaner and lubricant, but I have had such good results over the years with Miltec 1 as a lube that I finish off after a Gunzilla cleaning with a couple of drops of Miltec. Perhaps a bit of overkill, but so far no rust related problems and all my guns run well on Miltec

I'll stick with Gunzilla and I use it wisely and as intended. I've read through a few posts here that seem rather silly to me, like the one about Gunzilla freezing in cold weather. Just exactly how much Gunzilla would there have to be on your gun? Gunzilla is a surface treatment more than anything. If you're going out in sub zero temps then your gun shouldn't be soaking wet with anything when you step out the door. Wading through some of the nonsense is sometimes half the battle. Whatever you use, use it wisely, and use with common sense. Gun cleaners and lubricants can be compared to car care products and your applications. How many of you put another coat of wax over a scratch in the paint to protect it from rusting? How many would strip it down to the finish, repair the scratch and then seal and wax it? See where I'm going with this? Gunzilla makes my life a whole lot more simple. At this stage of the game some of us work smarter not harder. I've owned for and cared for all types of firearms, not only my own, but customers and friends for over 25 years. If there is ever a time that you doubt yourself or a product, then quite possibly it's best to stop using it or change what you're doing. What used to take years of trial and error can now be covered in a matter of minutes right here on the internet since we all share our experiences and past knowledge freely. Simply stick to common sense when reading. Consumer reports for the shooting sports? You've found it pretty much.......just ask. They are called reviews. Be smart and be safe.

i have been very happy with gunzilla ever since it first came out although i do keep a bottle of slip 2000 on hand, but rarely use it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member
    I'm a believer in EEZOX and/or Ballistol.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Since I switched to Gunzilla, it's all I use. It cleans well, my firearms function well and I don't worry about getting it on my skin or hurting my lungs.
    "...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 King James Version

VIP Member
    I don't like it. It dries up when used and after a while it hardens and get sticky like cosmoline. I have had two firearms malfunction from it. One is a .22 that GZ clogged up the firing pin channel and caused light strikes and the second was a shotgun that, when cold, stopped working because GZ had solidified and stuck like glue.

No more GZ for me. slip 2000 is what i use now for lube and hoppes or shooters choice for bore solvent.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Hay how about that another 5 year old resurrected thread. I use Breakfree and Hoppe's #9.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I'm a big fan of Ballistol. I've used Hoppes #9 and M-Pro 7 until patches came out clean, followed with a Ballistol cleaning and continued to get gunk out. Not so the other way around. I'm currently experimenting with Ed's Red sans the acetone, but haven't used it enough to form an opinion versus Ballistol or M-Pro 7. I will say in my opinion Ed's Red is every bit as good if not better than #9 based on my thus far limited use of it. I haven't use Gunzilla yet.
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links