Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner & mobil 1 - Page 2

Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner & mobil 1

This is a discussion on Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner & mobil 1 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; i would never use that the problem with that and gun scrubber ect ect ect is that is pulls everything out of the steel causing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner & mobil 1

i would never use that the problem with that and gun scrubber ect ect ect is that is pulls everything out of the steel causing it to wear faster i do use gun scrubber on my aluminum frames of my s&w 5903 and sig but use hoppe #9 for the rest and a gp brush

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Suicdkng View Post
    i would never use that the problem with that and gun scrubber ect ect ect is that is pulls everything out of the steel causing it to wear faster i do use gun scrubber on my aluminum frames of my s&w 5903 and sig but use hoppe #9 for the rest and a gp brush
    I agree that both those items are very harsh. Much as I consider Sweets 7.62 to be very harsh. I don't use any of them for everyday maintenence of my firearms.

There are times though when something harsh is needed so I do keep some of these things on hand for those times.

Michael

I use brake parts cleaner on some of the really tough stuff in a rifle and it works wonders. I don't let it get on the wood or plastic though.

I've never used motor oil on a gun, but I do occasional put heavy weight oil (15w40 or 20w50) in the joins on my knifes. I suppose motor oil on a gun would be just as good if not better then gun oil if you're putting it in the moving parts....As far as the light coat on the external parts, its probably best to stick with regular gun oil though. Its not as runny and it can withstand some pretty high temps before breaking down.

On my Mosin, I put Valvoline Multi-Purpose grease on parts of the bolt to help keep it smooth. It tends to do a lot better then gun oil.

haha, I've heard that in the middle east, a lot of people run a cloth soaked with used motor oil through the bore on their AKs to clean them....Good old rugged AKs haha
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links