proper gun lube ?'s

proper gun lube ?'s

This is a discussion on proper gun lube ?'s within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; If I were to take my 1911 completely down, is gun oil enough for the internal parts like the mag release spring, main spring, etc. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proper gun lube ?'s

proper gun lube ?'s

If I were to take my 1911 completely down, is gun oil enough for the internal parts like the mag release spring, main spring, etc. or should these be greased, and if so what kind of grease is best?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The springs should not be oiled. As for the parts that do need it, I use Slip 2000 extreme weapon lube grease and the same product in 30 wt.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    The springs should not be oiled. As for the parts that do need it, I use Slip 2000 extreme weapon lube grease and the same product in 30 wt.
    Yes gun oil is enough, and it is what just about every maker reccomends in their manual. Some people like to put some light grease, such as TW25b, on the rails.

I respectfully disagree with Knuckledrager on oiling the spring, and the other metal parts for that matter. Some rust inhibitor, oil or some other, should be used on all metal parts or else you risk the chance of corrosion. It doesn't take much to be effective.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I use nothing but Militec-1 on my carry weapons. I lube everything on the outers and innards with it. Great stuff and free samples to military members. Try it, you'll like it.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

One's in the safe are waxed on the outside and a light coat of grease in the barrels.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I use nothing but Militec-1 on my carry weapons, including my SA 1911. I lube everything on the outers and innards with it. Great stuff and free samples to military members. Try it, you'll like it.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

One's in the safe are waxed on the outside and a light coat of grease in the barrels.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I guess I'm anal. I use Rem oil, then Corrosion X on everything on the gun. Then I go at the rails with a light coat of Gunslick grease.
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

Administrator
    Actually I do use a Q-Tip lightly dampened with any type of CLP oil and run that into the mainspring housing to lightly lube it and I add the tinest touch of oil on the magazine release spring and the plunger tube spring.

All of my other internal parts I also oil with a CLP (Cleans Lubricates Protects) type oil and then wipe them all back off again.

Use BreakFree CLP - MILTEC - WeaponShield
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

cool, thanks.

lubriplate aero on rails miltec everywhere else.

Castrol Syntech.... Used it since my IPSC days back in 1990s to present.

This stuff was pioneered by the head pistolsmiths at STI (Benny Hill, Dave Dawson) when the first generation of high-cap 38 super guns were being built on the STI modular frames.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

This stuff was pioneered by the head pistolsmiths at STI (Benny Hill, Dave Dawson) when the first generation of high-cap 38 super guns were being built on the STI modular frames.....
    Very interesting, never thought about synthetic oils before.

I have used almost everything from 3 in 1 machine oil and military lubes, to many of the latest miracle lubes from Alaska to the desert. I have some different ones on the shelf, and will use them until they are gone, but my favorite now is Mobile 1. I have used it for years with complete satisfaction.

I also must say that I have never had a malfunction that I could even remotely say was caused by lube. I don't like grease on the rails as it just gunks up the gun more.

I have a friend who is an acknowledged gun expert, having instructed LE in several foreign nations. He told me that he had a student who had not lubed his gun. At the class it began to malfunction. As it turned he had no lube with him. He told his assistant to raise the hood of his truck, got some oil off the dip stick, lubed the gun, and it ran like a million.

After the class the owner of the gun wanted to know what lube he had used as his gun ran better than it ever had. It was slick as glass. My friend told him he used whatever was in the crankcase of the truck, and he did not know what it was.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

Wow... motor oil, really? What weight lol?
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I think that from the rust prevention point of view it is not a bad idea to wipe the springs down with the lube de jour. I just don't see the specific need for lubrication of the springs mentioned. I have never had a rust issue with springs. That may be a function of the service interval for the springs as well as the environment that the pistol is used in. My springs (Wolf recoil spring, Glock trigger return spring) hit the end of their service life about every 3 months and that may be the reason that I've had no corrosion issues with them.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    Wow... motor oil, really? What weight lol?
    I am using Mobile 1 5W-30. I don't really care as that is what I had. I would use 10 w-30 or whatever I had.
    One quart will last a long time, and for some a lifetime.

In spite of all the hype from the "gun oil" makers if a lube will take care of the heat, friction, and pressure of an auto engine for thousands of miles the handguns will be a "piece of cake."

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links