XD45 locked up

XD45 locked up

This is a discussion on XD45 locked up within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I cleaned my xd45 Springfield and re-asembled it and I think the recoil spring assembley poped out of the guide and it aparently locked the ...

Thread: XD45 locked up

XD45 locked up

I cleaned my xd45 Springfield and re-asembled it and I think the recoil spring assembley poped out of the guide and it aparently locked the slide up . it is in the slide back position ,almost to the full back .lacking half inch or so . barrell is tight ,spring is tight, wont move up or down . any suggestions

Administrator
    I'd use a rubber or rawhide mallet.
    Not sure if I would beat it forward like this guy did.

YouTube - Springfield XD 45 stuck slide (Dont Panic)

Administrator
    If you put the slide back on with the disassembly lever not in the upward position and the slide is stuck to the rear then Springfield suggests rapping the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet to move it forward according to one web site.

Before I go telling you to beat on your gun I would suggest that you call Springfield and talk to one of their smiths on the phone.

I'm really not that up on the XD.

Below Sounds Better.

Administrator

from warriortalk

See BOLD Below

I'm posting this in case anyone experiences a slide jam (during reassembly) issue and comes to AK-47.net for a solution.

ISSUE:
    Improper installation of spring guide rod will cause an XD handgun to jam rock-solid during reassembly.

BACKGROUND:
    I own an XD45 and XD9. Love 'em both. They're great shooters and a breeze to disassemble and reassemble. Never had a problem.

After doing some shooting last night, my friends and I went out for dinner. I got home last and was very tired....but wanted to clean the XD anyway.

I cleaned the parts, lightly oiled whatever needed it and began the reassembly process.

I inserted the barrel.

I inserted the guide/spring assembly.

As I worked the slide back on to the frame....but just before I could get the slide back far enough to engage the slide stop - everything froze!

I couldn't move the slide forward OR backward. I'm talking 0.00mm of movement. It was as if someone had Crazy glued the entire handgun together.

So ,basically, the firearm looks like it's locked back after emptying a mag....but not quite.

Naturally, I freaked :)

I searched the web for info and, finding nothing, gave up. I figured that I'd have to ship to SA or take it to a gunsmith ($$$). I did not sleep well at all.

WHAT HAPPENED:
    The spring guide rod was not perfectly centered on the barrel when it was reassembled.

While I found no exact details on why/what happens internally, the results can lead to premature baldness from excessive hair-pulling.

This morning I poked around the web a bit more and.....

I also found this method at XD Talk and used it as the person said he was told by someone at Springfield Armory of it.
    USE THIS METHOD
    Using a crescent wrench, close the wrench over the exposed spring guide rod. The wrench does not need to be tight. It does, however, need to rest against the disc at the base of the guide rod.

Using a hammer or mallet - firmly strike the crescent wrench as close to where it's attached to the spring guide rod.

(You'll need to keep the firearm off the floor/surface while striking the wrench, of course, which means the first few whacks might not cut it as you work out the mechanics)

After a few good whacks the slide simply pops forward!

Apparently this method temporarily releases spring tension against the barrel just long enough to unjam everything.

Then, remove the slide from the frame and reposition the spring guide rod - Properly Centered This Time - and reassemble.

TAA DAAAAA!!!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Wow...has never happened to me but I must say I would NOT be happy about whacking my EDC with a mallet.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OK I placed the crescent on spring assembley. used a wooden hammer handle slightly tapped it ( with great despair) and the slide fell forward ... Praise God.
    thanks for the advice QK . it is re-assembled working fine
    B

Preach, don't feel too bad. This happens periodically. I haven't done it yet, but hey, the night's still young.

It felt like one of my children was going to the Hospital and i was helpless LOL
    stupid I know but still I was Panic stricken
    that is the first time any thing has happend like that in Years. lol

I've read several posts on different forums where someone does this. Everyone is panic stricken the first time it happens. I probably will be, too.

Sponsored Links