Return to Glock factory for maintainence?

This is a discussion on Return to Glock factory for maintainence? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Should I return my Glock to the factory for maintenance and cleaning? It's a Glock model 26. It's 10 years old and it's never had ...

Thread: Return to Glock factory for maintainence?

Question Return to Glock factory for maintainence?

Should I return my Glock to the factory for maintenance and cleaning?

It's a Glock model 26. It's 10 years old and it's never had a problem. I target practice with it but have no idea how many rounds I've put through it. If I had to guess I would say between 6,000-7,000 rounds. I only field strip it to clean it but nothing beyond that. If I send it to Glock I'm told they will take it completely apart, check for worn or broken parts, replace these parts and then clean it and test fire it before sending it back. I'm told they do this free of charge and all I have to pay is for the UPS one day air shipping.

What if I take it to a Glock certified armorer? Can they do this same service? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If it's a free service, go for it. Will they return it directly back to you or will they have to send it back through an FFL dealer?

Send a PM to Brownie and ask him about cleaning a Glock and how many rounds does he had thru his.

VIP Member
    Consider attending a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation match in your area. Not only do you get to meet, greet and shoot with a bunch of Glock owners, they have certified armourers in attendance to do exactly what you were posting about. I went to my first one years ago and handed over my G21 to one of the guys. He took it apart, looked it over, then asked me "Has this seen a lot of heavy use?". I answered "yes, it's my IPSC gun". He proceeded to replace a whole bunch of parts. Apart from the match fee, and GSSF membership, it was a freebie!

Go to Glock Sport Shooting Foundation for more info.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

My advice? If it's going to cost you, you could do everything yourself for a fraction of the cost. Typically Glocks are awesome unless extremely abused and overworked. I have Glocks that are going on ten years or older, but I maintain them well on my own and keep plenty of spare parts. My main concerns would be the magazine followers and possibly the springs. The previous posts and recommendations are not off base...but if you have had no issues with your Glock pistol thus far, I might suggest getting the armorer CD, a few spare parts just in case (at little cost + shipping), and run your Glock pistol like you always do and be ready to solve an issue if and when it ever does occur. With most Glock pistols....over-thinking things is always a possibility. For your reference (as usual), I'll direct you to one of the web's best resources other than the fine folks you'll come across here.
    http://www.geocities.com/rhummer/uno...pdf_format.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
    Should I return my Glock to the factory for maintenance and cleaning?

It's a Glock model 26. It's 10 years old and it's never had a problem. I target practice with it but have no idea how many rounds I've put through it. If I had to guess I would say between 6,000-7,000 rounds. I only field strip it to clean it but nothing beyond that. If I send it to Glock I'm told they will take it completely apart, check for worn or broken parts, replace these parts and then clean it and test fire it before sending it back. I'm told they do this free of charge and all I have to pay is for the UPS one day air shipping.

What if I take it to a Glock certified armorer? Can they do this same service? Any advice would be appreciated.

At minimum you need a new recoil spring. A good look thru by a Glock Armorer wouldn't hurt either to check for upgrades and inspect mag springs etc.

We will be having a GSSF match in Columbia at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club this August 29 -30. It can wait till then and you'll get it done for absolutely free.
    Certified Glock Armorer

GSSF

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    We will be having a GSSF match in Columbia at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club this August 29 -30. It can wait till then and you'll get it done for absolutely free.
    How do I attend this as an observer? Can I just show up or do I need to come with a club member?

Thank you everyone for your replies. All good advice.

I would say bring ya gun and some ammo. Might what to join and shoot the match after watching.

Here is a link to GSSF: gssfonline.com/

Check out the match info.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Links