Has anyone ever damaged their finish with a cleaner that was too strong?

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever damaged their finish with a cleaner that was too strong? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I don't what solvent it was, but the finish on my custom 35 Whelen got a little messed up on the wood stock, I will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone ever damaged their finish with a cleaner that was too strong?

I don't what solvent it was, but the finish on my custom 35 Whelen got a little messed up on the wood stock, I will be able to fix it though. From here on out it is Gunzilla exclusively. Bar none, the best I have used!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Solvents

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    I don't what solvent it was, but the finish on my custom 35 Whelen got a little messed up on the wood stock, I will be able to fix it though. From here on out it is Gunzilla exclusively. Bar none, the best I have used!
    Solvents are very nasty high solid petroleum distillates used to clean by dissolving lead deposits in the bore chamber of your gun. As you know, lead is also hazardous. Most solvents contain high solid VOC's (volatile organic contaminants) including turpentine, amyl acetate, etc. Some types of solvents also contain corrosive acids that can actually eat metal. A similar example you might relate to would be break fluid spilled on your car. If you spill it on the hood without throughly removing it, in 12 hours chances are the acrylic paint finish would dissolve and the hood would be ruined. Most gun cleaning solvents act the same way with polymer plastic gun frames and urethane finished gun grips. They simply melt the plastic.

Light gun oil on the other hand lubricates and preserves metal finishes. Still, I do not recommend that you oil a plastic frame or a wood gun stock or pistol grip.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    WAY WAY Back the earliest grips for the little Seecamp semi-autos melted easily when they came in contact with nearly every every gun solvent.

They were upgraded/changed shortly thereafter and anybody that requested them was sent the new replacements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links