Rifle Wood Stock-CARE?

Rifle Wood Stock-CARE?

This is a discussion on Rifle Wood Stock-CARE? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've had a rifle with a wood stock for over forty years and have always rubbed gun oil on the stock and wiped dry just ...

Rifle Wood Stock-CARE?

I've had a rifle with a wood stock for over forty years and have always rubbed gun oil on the stock and wiped dry just like the metal parts. The wood is beautiful, nicer than new. I've been told never to use oil on the wood. How can anyone look at my rifle and say that?

Administrator
    The reason for not using non drying petroleum based oils on wood is that there is a possibility that some petroleum based oils can promoted the degradation the actual fibers of the wood over time.

Wiping on Linseed oil and then wiping that back off again is much better for the actual wood.

Oils used on metal are made to lubricate. The oils used on wood are totally different in that they are meant to protect the wood. Using the wrong kind can weaken the wood. It may look nice but it could be weakened badly.

Michael

I've always taken a shot of Lemon Pledge into the palm of my hand and rubbed it into the stock until it fully absorbs. The pledge mixes with the natural oils of my hand and the result is an outstanding example of beauty and durability.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have had some guns, and actually still have some, on which the wood is softened somewhat, and darkened where it meets the metal, from years of coming into contact with gun oil. So, I am always careful to get as little gun oil as possible (preferably none) on my wood for that reason. I use linseed oil, or furniture oil on the stocks.

There is one product that I have that's called Ballistisol, and it can be used for metal and wood. It smells real bad though, so I don't like to use it much. I mostly only use it on my black powder gun, because it also works real good on BP residue. That gun has an oil finish, and I do use the Balistisol on the wood too.

Most of my gun stocks are either varnished or coated in polyeurethane to seal them once and for all, which I prefer, but my 12 ga. sxs shotty has an oil finish. I hunted with it in the rain, sleet, and snow one day this year and when I got home the wood looked awful. It took about 3 days and 5 coats of linseed oil to get her back to looking good again.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have a good paste wax that is for wood and metal. Waxing the metal instead of oiling it should be okay?

Administrator

Thumbs up

That sure will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I have a good paste wax that is for wood and metal. Waxing the metal instead of oiling it should be okay?

I've been using ProtectAll on my rifles lately, both wood stock and metal. Works GREAT!

I used to use gun oil on my wood stocks until I found out that it did indeed soften the wood - looks good but ain't good for 'em.

VIP Member
    Depends on the stock. I've got an 870 Express that has been around for awhile. Nothing special, just birchwood stocks. I rub it down every once in awhile with Tung oil. I do the same with a Browning O/U that came with oil stocks.

On my other stocks, I usually give them a good coat of Butchers Bowling alley wax at the start of the season. Tough as nails and protects the wood from moisture in the field.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Putting lubricating oil on wood will actually rot it from the inside out as the oil penetrates deep into the fibers. One day you will fire your rifle and it will come apart in your hands. If you put your stock over your knee and try to bend it, I bet it will flex some. It might look nice, but it's a disaster waiting to happen.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Links