I <3 a freshly cleaned weapon...

This is a discussion on I <3 a freshly cleaned weapon... within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I am obsessed with a clean gun, especially my daily carry. The best time to clean a gun is while the barrel is still warm. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I <3 a freshly cleaned weapon...

I am obsessed with a clean gun, especially my daily carry. The best time to clean a gun is while the barrel is still warm. Much easier and it is clean and ready to go.

I have let me guns sit before and it is just too hard to get the barrel clean. When I was in the CB's after we shot, we had to make multiple trips to the armory to clean our M16s until nothing elase came out, most of the time we would clean clean clean and come back the next day and do it all over again.

A clean gun is a lifesaver! Is your life not worth a half hour to an hour after you shoot? I credit my Gunny for giving me this mindset. I have been given guns that my father had and I have had to clean ea. one. Sometimes it was a hang fire or a miss feed, but I didn't want either of those when hunting, so I take everything down as best I can and clean, clean, clean!!!

2. Remove Ads

Have to clean it every time it's fired. One round, 100 rounds. Doesn't matter. That being said, I HATE CLEANING GUNS. Yup, I said it. It's a pain in the rear and if I had the means, I'd pay someone else to do it for me.
    HK45c V1

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    My EDC needs a quick wipe-down with the silicone cloth about twice a week and a real cleaning once every week or two. Can't believe how much lint gets in there. Plus in these hot months, I worry more about persperation getting to it.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member

Cleaning

I clean my Sig's almost every time I shoot. I don't use too much solvent. I use gun oil sparingly and use white grease at two points on the slide.

The take down and reassembly of my Walther's is more difficult but these actually require more maintenance. I try to clean these every time I shoot but they can be a chore.

I have a Kimber that I always clean after every shooting and a couple Taurus revolvers that I clean regularly but not every time I shoot.

I normally shoot 3 or 4 guns and total about 200-250 rounds before I am done for the day.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Just finished cleaning mine 10 mintues ago (range trip today). I clean after every trip (including my Glock).

Anything thats as easy to clean as a Glock should be cleaned (even after 50 rounds).

I must admit sometimes I will just wipe my .22 down with oil and give the barrel a quick clean, but second time round it gets the full treatment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Member
    I clean mine after every range trip and/or once a month if it's a carry gun.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I probably clean mine every 200-300 rounds. I try to get to the range every couple of weeks, so that means about once a month. I don't have any safe queens, so when I go almost everything goes with me. :)

My cleaning MO is to get some newspaper out and spread out on the coffee table, turn some TV on (maybe sports or whatever the TiVo has that interests me) and clean everything. Usually my kids (12, 10, 7, 3) are excited to help, so it almost always turns into a lesson in gun safety and operation. We take them apart, learn about parts and function, and then clean clean clean! That is what turns it from a boring chore into a fun family time, plus I get the added benefit of removing the mystique from firearms for my kids. They are about as "taboo" in my home as the mop, so the kids don't get the urge to play with them.

I do take my EDC apart occasionally between cleanings and wipe it down and use compressed air to blow any lint out of it. One thing I love about polymer guns is that they need a lot less cleaning!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    I clean mine after every trip, if not on the same day, ASAP before the next range trip.

I enjoy cleaning my XD almost as much as I enjoy shooting it. And XDs are designed to be neglected. I just can't stand a feed ramp that isn't shiny. I also love a barrel that I can count the rifling in.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I probably clean mine every 200-300 rounds. I try to get to the range every couple of weeks, so that means about once a month. I don't have any safe queens, so when I go almost everything goes with me. :)

My cleaning MO is to get some newspaper out and spread out on the coffee table, turn some TV on (maybe sports or whatever the TiVo has that interests me) and clean everything. Usually my kids (12, 10, 7, 3) are excited to help, so it almost always turns into a lesson in gun safety and operation. We take them apart, learn about parts and function, and then clean clean clean! That is what turns it from a boring chore into a fun family time, plus I get the added benefit of removing the mystique from firearms for my kids. They are about as "taboo" in my home as the mop, so the kids don't get the urge to play with them.

I do take my EDC apart occasionally between cleanings and wipe it down and use compressed air to blow any lint out of it. One thing I love about polymer guns is that they need a lot less cleaning!
    That's great...exactly how I learned handling and safety when I was kid...it was w/rifles though, handguns weren't in my household till I was a bit older...

To those that clean their weapons EVERYTIME they are fired...I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment (Yes, you are correct regarding cleaning)...BUT really any firearm worth its salt should be safe and reliable even IF one doesn't clean it each time it's fired...

Now I'm anal about my rifles because of accuracy and wear considerations...but an EDC weapon needs to be able to fire w/accuracy under less than ideal conditions...and I think the overwhelming majority of modern firearms fall into this category, no?

Just something to discuss, I like to stir the pot
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    My EDC G26 is always clean. If I fire a few rounds from it, I clean it immediately.

I have a second, identically equipped G26 for practice and back-up in case I lose the EDC one, it breaks, etc. The practice G26 is not cleaned after every trip, more like once a month or so depending on how many times I go to the range. If I ever had the need to switch to that one for carry, I would clean it first.

My AR is always clean, but that's more because I can't afford to shoot it. The 870 I am not so good with. It still gets cleaned, but less often. I guess I am just not as worried about pump action as I am a semi-auto.

The misc 'safe guns' I don't clean or shoot very much. Even if I shot them a lot I wouldn't care as much about cleaning as I do with the defensive ones.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post
    I enjoy cleaning my XD almost as much as I enjoy shooting it. And XDs are designed to be neglected. I just can't stand a feed ramp that isn't shiny. I also love a barrel that I can count the rifling in.
    You betcha! Before my XD became a carry weapon it would often be neglected between shooting trips. Powder residue--no problem. Lint from EDC--nasty.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Has anyone used the Outers Gunslick stainless SPIRAL BORE BRUSH? If so, how does it compare with the bristle brushes? To me, it looks like something more suited for a smooth bore, like a shotgun, or revolver cylinders?

My EDC gets cleaned and lubed after firing it,I wouldn't want a dirty gun to jam on me when I really need it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like I was taught in the Marine Corps; always clean your weapon as soon after firing as possible. I make a habit of cleaning it within 24 hours of firing.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links