Clean barrel with a drill?

This is a discussion on Clean barrel with a drill? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hello all, I recently got a Kel Tec P11, it was used and there was an issue with one of the trigger springs. So long ...

Thread: Clean barrel with a drill?

Hello all, I recently got a Kel Tec P11, it was used and there was an issue with one of the trigger springs. So long story short I take the gun to a local gun shop to get the spring replaced. I drop it off with my Power Ball carry ammo (not thinking). The next day I brought in some cheap Brown Bear FMJ I had so they could "test fire" with this, rather than my expensize ammo (I have already tested it and there are zero issues).

I went to pick it up today and the guy that gives it to me tells me that I need to clean my gun better, well ive always thought I have been more thorough than many with keeping them clean. So I ask him "why do you say that?", so he goes on to tell me that Brown Bear is crappy ammo and he would never ever shoot it in his guns (whatever, its cheap and I know many people that do not have issues with the "cheaper" ammo). Then he proceeds to tell me that the laquer coating will get in the barrel and its impossible for the solvents and manually operation of a wire bore brush to clean.

I then ask him what he thinks the best option is then (not bc I really cared but bc I was curious), he told me to put the wire bore brush on a drill and run it through the barrel! Does that not seem a little too hardcore? I aask him "a drill? really..." and he said "yup, best way to do it".

Thoughts? I have never done this neither has my father or other gun friends...

-Jerry

I have heard it a lot from the same small subset that practices it. The bore polishes up real nice like. The problem is that the boor is literally polishing. The brush will wear faster then your bore, by a lot, but it does wear your bore.

Plus, if you get it that clean then you have to put your fowling shots through it again before it regains it's accuracy. right?

Edit: so the moral of my ramblings is don't do it. Where is the benefit to polishing your bore spotless?

I agree %100. I just feel like he is giving poor advice to his customers. At least I know where NOT to take any of my firearms again.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i use one with my muzzle loader
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I coated a chamber mop with toothpaste, chucked it up in a 3/8" drill and mirror polished the chambers of my double gun. Slick as a gut and empties drop out.
    Never used any other drill powered apparatus in a bore.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    I coated a chamber mop with toothpaste, chucked it up in a 3/8" drill and mirror polished the chambers of my double gun. Slick as a gut and empties drop out.
    +1

Or you can get a block of jeweler's rouge for about 2 bucks and use that. It won't take away any metal but you will have a mirror finish after you're done. I use it with a dremel and it polishes barrels, chambers and feed ramps like nothing else.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    +1

Or you can get a block of jeweler's rouge for about 2 bucks and use that. It won't take away any metal but you will have a mirror finish after you're done. I use it with a dremel and it polishes barrels, chambers and feed ramps like nothing else.

bosco
    Polishing is the use of abrasives to get general surface finish improvement. It gives you that mirror finish through the act of removing material.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Not a good idea........

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post

Highly polished chambers can cause excessive breech face pressure. The cartridge needs to adhere to the wall of the chamber during firing. In firearms with highly polished chambers such signs of excessive pressure are readily obsevable to include, primer flow, flattened primers, breech face damage and brass deposits on the breech face.
    While chambers need to be smooth, they should not have a mirror finish.
    Any tool which operates in a circular fashion should not be used in a rifled bore, especially with abrasives. Accuracy is negatively affected when the sharp edges of the lands and grooves are rounded off.
    Deposits in the bore are most effectively removed by lateral motion which reaches into the depths of the rifling. Again abrasives are highly discouraged.
    For badly foulded chambers and bores there is JB Bore Cleaner. It uses extremely mild abrasives which will not harm the bore. There is also JB Bore polish for getting a bore brightly clean.
    I prefer to use Blue Wonder, it cleans through chemical action and no scrubbing action with a bore brush is required.
    Now there is a polish for shotgun bores called Flex Hone. It is a special oil that will brightly polish a smooth bore barrel using a special applicator, however it's not for use in rifled barrels.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sponsored Links