Hoppes Elite gun cleaner--my review!

This is a discussion on Hoppes Elite gun cleaner--my review! within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; ok first of all, you guys or wives that DO NOT like the solvent odors of hoppes #9 and many other solvents will like this ...

Thread: Hoppes Elite gun cleaner--my review!

Hoppes Elite gun cleaner--my review!

ok first of all, you guys or wives that DO NOT like the solvent odors of hoppes #9 and many other solvents will like this stuff.it's almost odor free,non-toxic and has a very light plesent plant extract kinda smell that WILL NOT STINK THE HOUSE UP!

The first thing that surprised me was after i sprayed the entire barrel and feed ramp down with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber,it did not dissolve the burnt caked on powder very well.even after brushing and scrubbing,did not seem to break it up.i then sprayed the entire barrel with Hoppes Elite and noticed a remarkable differance.it immediately began breaking up the burnt powder.the feed ramp and barrel had a mirror like finish again.NO UNPLESENT ODOR.i was very happy with its cleaning abilities.

so,was their anything i didn't like about Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner besides the price? yes it's a bit expensive,but i did read one negative review where someone said after it dries it leaves a sticky gummy residue on the gun..this i found not to be true.i was alittle dissapointed it didn't leave more of a slippery,slick substance on the gun,but it didn't feel sticky or gummy either.i really don't know how else to describe it.nothing that worries me though.i'd rate it a 4star and would recommend giving it a try.
    Last edited by crue2009; July 22nd, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    thanks for the information

I tried the allmost oderless solvent and found it to work just fine. Its not that i mind the smell of good ol number 9 but the new stuff seemed to work just as good with barely any scent.

VIP Member
    I just love to sniff the #9. And it hasn't killed my liver in 66 years. Why switch?

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    ok first of all, you guys or wives that DO NOT like the solvent odors of hoppes #9 and many other solvents will like this stuff.it's almost odor free,non-toxic and has a very light plesent plant extract kinda smell that WILL NOT STINK THE HOUSE UP!

The first thing that surprised me was after i sprayed the entire barrel and feed ramp down with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber,it did not dissolve the burnt caked on powder very well.even after brushing and scrubbing,did not seem to break it up.i then sprayed the entire barrel with Hoppes Elite and noticed a remarkable differance.it immediately began breaking up the burnt powder.the feed ramp and barrel had a mirror like finish again.NO UNPLESENT ODOR.i was very happy with its cleaning abilities.

so,was their anything i didn't like about Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner besides the price? yes it's a bit expensive,but i did read one negative review where someone said after it dries it leaves a sticky gummy residue on the gun..this i found not to be true.i was alittle dissapointed it didn't leave more of a slippery,slick substance on the gun,but it didn't feel sticky or gummy either.i really don't know how else to describe it.nothing that worries me though.i'd rate it a 4star and would recommend giving it a try.
    Read my recent review on Gunzilla and give it a try. I think you'll like it.

Links