GLOCK Armorer Course - Yes/No

This is a discussion on GLOCK Armorer Course - Yes/No within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have been thinking of taking GLOCK's Armorer Course. I am trying to decide if it is worth the time and money ($150). I should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GLOCK Armorer Course - Yes/No

VIP Member

I have been thinking of taking GLOCK's Armorer Course. I am trying to decide if it is worth the time and money ($150). I should say that I am not interested in the actual Certificate. I just want to learn how to maintain my own guns properly, and avoiding those nickle and dime charges at my gunsmith.

My question is:

Would I be better off taking the course or just investing some time and money in manuals/dvd's?

Any advice is appreciated.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I have thought about it also but, I have not taken the plunge. One advantage as I understand it is that as an armorer Glock will allow you to buy parts directly. I have joined GSSF so, I'll be interested to see comments from people who have dropped the $150.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have taken the course as well as the advanced course. It's worth the money.
    Exacto likes this.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I imagine it would be worth the money. I've thought seriously about it myself. If there was a class within 80 miles of me, I'd probably do it. Thing is...I pretty much already do everything on my own with all my Glocks. I believe a rear sight installation tool is included with the course (pretty sure), and that alone is worth $100, and I could have been installing my own night sights. Discounts on Glock factory parts would also pay for itself in short order since I keep plenty on hand. Far as working on other people's Glock pistols, I would need to obtain a FFL to do that, especially if kept overnight or a few days. I wouldn't mind being a Glock certified armorer for my local gun club as well. You can get the DVD/CD, and it does go in depth and detail and is a good reference every now and then. You'll be able to do everything to your Glock pistol if you follow directions and practice. Glocks are very simple, and you do one, you do them all. I'm perfectly happy working on my own Glocks without being certified, but given the right opportunity, I'd take the course and be an 'official' expert.

There's incorrect information on some of the DVDs. If you want to learn how to do it right, take the course for yourself or get with someone who has and who also works on the guns routinely.

Randy

It's seldom a bad idea to get the BEST information available from the BEST source you can afford. GLOCK Factory Training for $150 seems, to me, a bargain. YES!
    Exacto likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Go ahead and take the course...it never hurts to become a little smarter about the care and repair of one's firearms.
    Exacto likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ram Rod - just noticed your comment about the rear sight tool. If they do this, it is something very new. I've been to 4 of the basic armorer courses, advanced armorer, G18, and firearm instructor courses. The free stuff is pretty much limited to an armorer's tool and the standard promotional items.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Ram Rod - just noticed your comment about the rear sight tool. If they do this, it is something very new. I've been to 4 of the basic armorer courses, advanced armorer, G18, and firearm instructor courses. The free stuff is pretty much limited to an armorer's tool and the standard promotional items.

Randy
    Well, like I said...I thought it was included. I could be wrong.

It would make the $150 cost much more attractive. :)

Randy

Where does one go to take a Glock Armorer course?

Brian

VIP Member
    Thanks for the advice people. It is mostly what I thought it would be, but I've been to too many "training" seminars that were really just "watch this video and read this manual on your own" types. I wanted to make sure before I bothered.

Thanks again.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Where does one go to take a Glock Armorer course?

Brian
    Go to GLOCK Training

That site will give dates and locations.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    Devils Advocate Here.

If you are just wanting to learn to detail strip a GLOCK handgun for the purpose of general maintenance and occasional complete cleaning it is not a difficult firearm to fully take apart and get back together again.

You should be able to do it just by paying attention to what you are doing and watching the youtube vids a couple of times...aka search youtube for Glock Disassembly.

The first YouTube Vid in combo with the second that pops up when you search for Glock Disassembly should be all that you need to accomplish the task.

It's not really rocket science or very difficult but, if by any small chance you are unable to get it back together again then simply "shoebox" the parts and haul it off to your local gunsmith and watch him when he pops it back together again for you.

Once you see somebody do it then (for sure) you'll be able to do it on your own after that.

OK Flame On & Turn Me Over I'm Done On This Side!
    Wunderneun likes this.

Yea, the Youtube vids are great. They have a lot of guns too chose from. Not just Glocks.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links