Gunzilla, First Impressions Very Favorable...

This is a discussion on Gunzilla, First Impressions Very Favorable... within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I got some Gunzilla after reading on here that others seem to like it. TopDuck Products, LLC - Creators of Gunzilla Thought I'd give it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunzilla, First Impressions Very Favorable...

Gunzilla, First Impressions Very Favorable...

I got some Gunzilla after reading on here that others seem to like it.

TopDuck Products, LLC - Creators of Gunzilla

Thought I'd give it a try. It is a "all in one" cleaner, protectant, lubricant. Being somewhat lazy, but anal, I was intrigued by the thought of being able to accomplish everything at once since we all know how fun cleaning guns can be. I must say that I am very pleased with the results. It appears to work as advertised. Just a note, I don't sell for these guys, don't have any interest in them what-so-ever so I am not pushing a product but giving my experience with it. A few observations:

1.) I actually broke down 2 recently cleaned and unfired guns. I followed the application directions. What I immediately noticed on the barrel and slide assembly when I started to wipe them down was that black residue (that wasn't showing on patches when I was finished cleaning the guns originally with my other cleaner) was now showing up on the patches. It appears the claims that it breaks down to a deeper level are correct as I am very meticulus in cleaning my guns. I was very impressed.

2.) It wipes down very nicely not leaving an oily residue. I am old school and have used Hopps oil which can be the opposite. When they say you can use it on the whole gun, they mean it. I cleaned the polymer frames and metal and it all wiped away with with any slick (Armor All) feeling on the grips, trigger, slide etc... I put a drop at each recommended contact point (which Gunzilla says you can do, but don't need to do) just out of habit. The dryness after wiping helps prevent lint, dirt, etc... from sticking to the gun.

3.) There is no harsh odor or fumes. Getting it on my hands does leave them feeling slick but it easily washed off. It is supposedly a "true" enviornmentally friendly cleaner that is safe for skin contact.

4.) One downside. I am not aware of it being offered in stores so you have to buy it online. It is a bit pricey. A 16 oz. bottle with a flip top runs about $25 + shipping. They sell 8 oz. spray bottles at about $16 + shipping. You can save about $7 and get twice the product if you do what I did. I bought a couple small empty 3 oz. travel hair spray bottles (you can find them at Target in the small travel item area) and fill them instead.

All in all it appears to be a very good product.
    Last edited by GoldenSaber; August 16th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Good review. Glad you like it. So in your opinion of "pricey", and being that one product could replace a significant amount of other products....would you say the price is worth it? Will it go further when used sparingly as compared to applications of other products?

Using $1's worth of Gonzilla, rather than $.10 of the cheaper stuff to clean a couple of $1,000 guns doesn't seem pricey to me. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Both are correct. A little did go a long way so the savings will be in relation to the amount of other products you use. Not used to having one product being the end all vs. all the stuff I normally buy. Seems a lot cheaper now.

I'm a believer in Gunzilla! I still put a little Brownell's "Action Lube" on the slides. Also still like using JD's Bore Cleaner. I've never minded cleaning my guns or camera gear, just want them to be as clean and effecient as possible.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Thanks, I'm gonna' try it. Being an old time Hoppes #9 solvent and oil user I really wasn't conversant with the newer gun cleaning options. This certainly helped me decide to give it a go.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I just got my order of gunzilla this week. dug up my fathers old 22 that has been neglected and cleaned her up. results: excellent

they have gained a customer, and i think for Christmas ill give some friends a small bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mosouthpaw View Post
    I just got my order of gunzilla this week. dug up my fathers old 22 that has been neglected and cleaned her up. results: excellent

they have gained a customer, and i think for Christmas ill give some friends a small bottle.
    How do I get on the list?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I've seen a couple of ads for it, but didn't know how it worked. Thanks for the review.

I just ordered some. We;ll see how it does.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I got some Gunzilla after reading on here that others seem to like it.

TopDuck Products, LLC - Creators of Gunzilla

All in all it appears to be a very good product.
    Thank you for your review. It sounds like the product I have been looking for. I was going to try ordering a small bottle, and if it worked, order the 16oz., but after this I may do as others have suggested and just order the large bottle, and pickup some cheap, small spray bottles.

The owner Don Kettles is a real nice guy too.

I am not the owner but I am a dealer & a forum sponsor.

Gunzilla

Thanks for the reviews.

Dan
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I use it and love the stuff for my ar especially.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I used to use Prolix, but have switched to Gunzilla. Mind you, I still use Slide Glide on the rails and other heavy contact points, because autoloaders just need some grease in certain places. But Gunzilla is a great cleaning product, to be sure.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I use gunzilla exclusively and had my 8 oz bottle for about 6 months or more,I sometimes still put some grease on the contact points on the slide rails,but this stuff cleans better than anything else and I love seeing a shiny bore
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Used to use Hoppe's, Breakfree. Wanted something better and more "environmentally friendly" (less cancer). Tried Prolix, ok, but doesn't clean all that well, and I'm not too sure about the safety.
    Tried Ballistol. Smells awful, and despite what some say, the smell lingers. On the other hand, safety wise, I think you could drink it.
    While waiting for Gunzilla, mixed up some Ed's Red. I know, plenty of cancer, but cheap, and I like making things myself. Works pretty well. Skipped the acetone, and keep it in a big Home Depot bucket outside. Especially nice to just dump the metal parts in and let them soak.

Gunzilla: great. Barely any smell, nontoxic, cleans wonderfully, lubes (though I do still put a little extra on the rails), and so far, no rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links