Lubrication..How Often?

Lubrication..How Often?

This is a discussion on Lubrication..How Often? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Cleaning and lubricating a gun after shooting is common practice. How about " just lubrication" , when the gun has not been fired for a ...

Thread: Lubrication..How Often?

Lubrication..How Often?

Cleaning and lubricating a gun after shooting is common practice. How about "just lubrication", when the gun has not been fired for a long period of time sitting in a drawer, or stored for months, even years? I live in the desert where it's always very dry (average humidity is 9%) so rust and corrosion from the elements, especially in house, are almost nonexistent. My carry gun gets lubricated (patch through the barrel & wipe down) once a month due to principle, my stored guns maybe twice a year, need it or not. I've never had a handgun or rifle that didn't perform flawlessly practicing this routine, nor have any of them ever experienced a speck of rust or any sign of corrosion. What is your maintenance routine? Please share.

I will sometimes grab a gun from the safe that has not gone to the range with me in a while and break it down with the others that have just come back from the range and wipe down and lube it.

It's not like I have a huge pistol collection to worry about though...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For me, a minimum of every six months any unfired guns come out of the safe for a little TLC. They get a wipe down and relubed as needes. Some lubricants tend to attract dust, that could become a problem.
    I like to keep my guns spotless, a tiny fingerprint on the finish bothers me. Hubby tells me if I kept the house as clean as I do the guns, he would come home and think he was in the wrong house
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I will sometimes grab a gun from the safe that has not gone to the range with me in a while and break it down with the others that have just come back from the range and wipe down and lube it.
    I do this, or do a disassy/lubing at the range just before it gets used.

Ones that are in use frequently get lubed at least once a month; the carry unit, generally more frequently or as dust/gunge is apparent.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    After every range trip! I don't own alot of firearms so when we goto the range as a family we shot all of them and then when we are back home we clean and lub the firearms as a family!
    [One Nation Under God]

Living in Florida we have a high humidity. For that reason my gun safe has a dehumidifier in it.

My two carry pistols get taken to the range once a month and cleaned upon returning to the house.

Pistols, rifles, and shotguns I don’t use much that are stored in the safe are number removed and cleaned, unless I am putting them into service.

My three home defense weapons don’t get shot much, but since they are out in the humidity they get cleaned and lubed a couple times a year.

I’ve had hunting rifles stored in the safe for over 7 years, and when I took them out they were like new, and ready to go. However, I still broke them down and gave them a good cleaning, before taking them to the range, to make sure they were still zeroed in.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My G23 gets a wipe down every day with a silicone cloth. I do a detailed cleaning after every trip to the range.

Subject was discussed just last night on the Outdoor Channel (American Guardian?) by Sheriff Jim Wilson. He suggests (for CCWs) after every range trip or 30 days (whichever comes first); exchange a new & unload/rest the old mag, brush the bore, (lightly) lube bore & wear-points, wipe down the exterior. I think he lives in the arid Southwest as well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsored Links