Whats in your cleaning kit?

This is a discussion on Whats in your cleaning kit? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Have most things others have mentioned but add in pipe cleaners, great for cleaning AR bolt carriers and doubled-up do a good job of cleaning ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your cleaning kit?

VIP Member
    Have most things others have mentioned but add in pipe cleaners, great for cleaning AR bolt carriers and doubled-up do a good job of cleaning and lubing firing pin channels.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    What cleaning items; both traditional and makeshift do you have and use while cleaning your guns? How do you store them? Do you have a bench, or just use a table some ol' place in your house?

As for me I have a craftsman hand carried tool chest that can be opened up and the tray taken out. In the bottom I have a few old washcloths/rags to wipe parts down and to oil them up. I also keep and old towel to lay out on the table I'm cleaning on. I also keep my oil, gun cleaner and a regular air can down there too. I find the air can handy for dust bunnies

In addition I have most gun cleaning "kits" with copper brushes and rods for multiple calibers, rifles, shotguns and handguns respectively. I keep a few green brilo pads and an old toothbrush for scrubbing gunk and carbon. Lastly I have a dental pick. I find it handy for scraping away the carbon buildup around the extractor.

I keep a Philips head an a flat head screw driver, an ice pick with the end filed down for picky springs, slide stops and other annoying pins that wont budge (especially for the SKS trigger housing ) a hammer, a pair of needle nose pliers and a small pocket knife.

How about you guys?
    Just about the same plus some canned 'air' to clean and dry out parts.
    Used to have several clearners, but not it's just Gunzilla.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

THEN

NOW

q-tips, pipe cleaners, m16 toothbrush, patches, hoppies #9, oil, grease, brushes, rods, and all of the normal stuff that you need in an old fishing tackle box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Old toothbrush,q-tips, Hoppes solvent, a "universal" kit from WW. a bore snake for each of my shot gun, pistols and rifles. I also have a small "travel" squeeze bottle I got from WW, I filled with Mobil 1 and use it in my high friction areas on my auto pistols...applied with a q-tip.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I keep most of the usual stuff. One no one else mentioned. An old fashioned shave brush will put preservative grease like RIG universal in places you just can't otherwise reach.

I have everything mentioned here including Gunzilla. My wife made me clean my guns outside until I switched. I included a set of picks I got at Lowes.

I keep all of this stuff in a fishing tackle box.

I also have a couple of different sizes of hemostats which help me clean in the hard to reach places.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I use to have a ton of cleaning gear then I got feed up packing for the range one day and got one of the Otis elite kits. It does rifles .17 to .50 caliber, pistols .17 to .50 caliber, shotguns .410 to 12/10 gauge, and all in-line muzzle loaders.
    So far its does a great job, covers everything I have and want to get, and came with a small pouch to pack for the range.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

GP brush, bore snakes (.22/.223, .40, 9mm, .30-06, 12ga), Q-tips, oil, solvent
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    THEN

NOW

I am there with you on this one. Gunzilla is all I'll use!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

One piece rod, Brass bore brush, Old cotton tee shirt, q tips, plastic tooth brush, 1.9 oz bottle of Gunzilla..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I have most of the usual stuff...I get the long q-tips from Brownells, and I have been using slip2000 on my guns here lately and like how it works for me.

My tackle box was getting too full, so I bought a gun cleaning box from Cabella's last year, and it is just the right size for all my cleaning gear.

Haven't tried blue wonder or gunzilla yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I also have a small "travel" squeeze bottle I got from WW, I filled with Mobil 1 and use it in my high friction areas on my auto pistols...applied with a q-tip.
    Mobil 1 oil huh...that's a good idea, that's what I put in the jeep motor and I use there grease for the zirk fittings, are you talking about there tube grease or motor oil? Where are you putting it? on the slide rails? Anyone see a problem with using synthetic auto grease?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Hoppes Elite, Simple Green, old t-shirts cut up into various sizes, a one piece plastic coated rod, brushes and picks, a couple of Bore Snakes and a bottle of Sweets. All in a small Tupperware type container. I'm single, so I can use the kitchen counter to clean on.

Almost forgot, a spray can of non chlorinated brake cleaner. You can get it for $1.49 anywhere vs. almost $10.00 for Gun Scrubber.

boresnake, old toothbrush, oil, WD40, Simple Green, brake cleaner, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links