Whats in your cleaning kit?

This is a discussion on Whats in your cleaning kit? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; What cleaning items; both traditional and makeshift do you have and use while cleaning your guns? How do you store them? Do you have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your cleaning kit?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Whats in your cleaning kit?

What cleaning items; both traditional and makeshift do you have and use while cleaning your guns? How do you store them? Do you have a bench, or just use a table some ol' place in your house?

As for me I have a craftsman hand carried tool chest that can be opened up and the tray taken out. In the bottom I have a few old washcloths/rags to wipe parts down and to oil them up. I also keep and old towel to lay out on the table I'm cleaning on. I also keep my oil, gun cleaner and a regular air can down there too. I find the air can handy for dust bunnies

In addition I have most gun cleaning "kits" with copper brushes and rods for multiple calibers, rifles, shotguns and handguns respectively. I keep a few green brilo pads and an old toothbrush for scrubbing gunk and carbon. Lastly I have a dental pick. I find it handy for scraping away the carbon buildup around the extractor.

I keep a Philips head an a flat head screw driver, an ice pick with the end filed down for picky springs, slide stops and other annoying pins that wont budge (especially for the SKS trigger housing ) a hammer, a pair of needle nose pliers and a small pocket knife.

How about you guys?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Cleaning kit? I know not what you mean.

Actually, I just have some Breakfree, oil, toothbrush, snake and a toothpick or two. I also have some towels and latex gloves (I hate getting my hands dirty).
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have about the same stuff as Pro2A except for the hammer.

I also have Q-tips and bore snakes for most calibers.

*TIP* Tear up an old black "T" shirt for your gun cloth. It wont leave visible lint and you cant tell its dirty.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I have a couple of brass rod and brushes for various calibers, jags, etc. I also have some picks, q-tips, patches, and rags. I am planningon trying compressed air mentioned in another thread.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I never thought of the q-tip idea. I'll have to check it out... what exactly do you do with it?

Wife sais NO HOPE in house, I cleen in garage alot of stuff unessisary
    Have a # of cleaners I like CLP B/F I'd like too get some gunzilla
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Well, you can see most all known gun maintenence chemicals toward the bottom on my main case. At the top (and used most) are Gunzilla, JD Bore Cleaner and Brownell's Action Lube. Also in that case are Bore Snakes of most caliber and guage, cleaning pads and Q-Tips. And a economy sized can of compressed air. In another more orginized case are rods, brass, mops and assorted items.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I never thought of the q-tip idea. I'll have to check it out... what exactly do you do with it?
    I use Q-tips to detail and place lube exactly where I want it. If you cut a Q-tip in half and chuck it into a dremel, it will polish like no other without any harm to your firearm.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Other useful items are pipecleaners and a paint brush to get loose dirt out of any place or to put oil in all those places also.
    "It is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are so many sheep around"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Good list going, Q-tips are the best! I also have a set of punches.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    QTips are great for cleaning and lubing slide rails and grooves. Good for picking up grit out of tight places. Next to the boresnake they are the best cleaning tool I have used.

I also have old toothbrushes, several different dental picks, lots of patches , a couple of thin rags I keep using, and a few brass punches. Love the Gunzilla, that goes to.

I keep it all in a cheap Doskocil gun case with a screwdriver case (changeable tip) screwed to the top. This is easy to take to the range in case there are any mishaps. The more specific use tools are kept in a fishing tackle box that is not so portable.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Wife sais NO HOPE in house, I cleen in garage alot of stuff unessisary
    Have a # of cleaners I like CLP B/F I'd like too get some gunzilla
    I'm in the same boat with the HOPPS. Pole barn only. Actually, I like to do my cleaning there anyway. Right now, HOPPS is the only thing I have for cleaning, but I am planning on trying Gunzilla. It sounds like a "Must Have" product.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If you live with a lady who objects to the aroma of some gun cleaning products, try Blue Wonder.
    No odor, at all and it works, really works. I will trust my guns to nothing else, since I tried it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If you live with a lady who objects to the aroma of some gun cleaning products, try Blue Wonder.
    No odor, at all and it works, really works. I will trust my guns to nothing else, since I tried it.
    Thank you! After GoldenSabre's review of Gunzilla, It's the next thing I want to try, but I will consider Blue Wonder.

Maybe they need a different name or something. I kept thinking it was something for the blueing...

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I'm in the same boat with the HOPPS. Pole barn only. Actually, I like to do my cleaning there anyway. Right now, HOPPS is the only thing I have for cleaning, but I am planning on trying Gunzilla. It sounds like a "Must Have" product.
    I had the same problem and like to clean in my home office. Switched from Hoppe's to Break Free and actually find it is better.

Guess I should give Gunzilla a try since so many folks are so high on it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links