General cleaning questions

This is a discussion on General cleaning questions within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; 1. Cleaning solvents. Can I use something other than Hoppes to clean with? Seems like I am getting an allergy to it. I have plenty ...

Thread: General cleaning questions

General cleaning questions

1. Cleaning solvents. Can I use something other than Hoppes to clean with?
    Seems like I am getting an allergy to it.
    I have plenty of paint thinner around, would that hurt?

2. Oiling the barrel. I have not been oiling the barrel because 2 folks mentioned how excess oil can cause a bulge ahead of the bullet and distort it. So I didn't know if that meant no oil, or very light oil, or special oil or?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Dave, check out the couple of threads on Gunzilla. I have come to like the stuff and it really does clean well.

Oiling the barrel is fine, just be sure it is left light and not sloppy wet and it will be OK.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    1. Cleaning solvents. Can I use something other than Hoppes to clean with?
    Seems like I am getting an allergy to it.
    I have plenty of paint thinner around, would that hurt?

2. Oiling the barrel. I have not been oiling the barrel because 2 folks mentioned how excess oil can cause a bulge ahead of the bullet and distort it. So I didn't know if that meant no oil, or very light oil, or special oil or?
    There are many other brands of solvent you may use. I wouldn't recommend paint thinner. Oil the barrel very lightly.

Been in the auto body field since the mid 70's and the first time I smelled Hoppes bore solvent... Smells exactly like Acrylic Enamel reducer

But I wouldn't use Hoppes as a additive for PPG Deltron or for that matter use Acrylic enamel reducer on my guns.

I use Militec-1 on all my guns but use a very lite coat of Remoil (thinner) on a patch for inside the barrels YMMV
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I'll second the Gunzilla....I can't say enough about it. Very light oil in the barrel. I would avoid paint thinner all together.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I clean with Break Free CLP and love it. Spray everywhere, allow to penetrate, scrub any buildup away, wipe it down and you're good to go.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    One of the easiest cleaners to use is automotive brake cleaner. I buy the generic brand from Walmart or Autozone, ($2.50 - $3.00) and use it on all my metal gun parts like the slide and barrel. I use it sparingly on the polymer frames. Compare the contents to "gun blaster" type products, ($10 - $12 a can). It's the same stuff!

It will remove all lubricant so you will have to re-lube after everything is clean. Sometimes it will leave a white residue on the metal which comes off easily with a quick wipe of WD-40 or other light oil.

My final step...I always wipe the exterior of my guns with a clean rag dipped in rubbing alcohol after all the cleaning is done. This removes all traces of solvents and oils that can affect gripping the gun when drawn from my holster. This also makes my Hogue slip-on grips feel tacky again.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I ordered the Blue Wonder cleaning kit and I love it.
    First I spray the gun down with the Fast Blast and let it sit a few minutes.
    I follow with the bore brush and the gel cleaner, about 10 strokes in the barrel and each cylinder. I let that soak for about 10 minutes and follow with the patches. Most of the time 2 or 3 patches is enough to get every last trace of yuck out and the third patch is clean.
    I spray the next patch lightly with the lubricant and run it through the barrel and cylinders.
    The final touch is a clean patch sprayed with the lube and a light wipe and buff, and it gun is spotless.
    I've tried many other brands and never found anything that gets a gun as clean as the Blue Wonder, and No Odor, no smell, nothing.
    I first tested it on my S&W Model 36, after it was already clean(or so I thought) and cleaned it with the gel. I was floored to see what came out of a barrel that had already been cleaned until the last patch came out perfectly clean. The Blue Wonder removed a lot of stuff that CLP didn't even loosen.

Home Page Blue Wonder Gun Care Products - Cleaner, Bluing and Protection
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Have to agree with Rugergirl.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I ordered the Blue Wonder cleaning kit and I love it.
    First I spray the gun down with the Fast Blast and let it sit a few minutes.
    I follow with the bore brush and the gel cleaner, about 10 strokes in the barrel and each cylinder. I let that soak for about 10 minutes and follow with the patches. Most of the time 2 or 3 patches is enough to get every last trace of yuck out and the third patch is clean.
    I spray the next patch lightly with the lubricant and run it through the barrel and cylinders.
    The final touch is a clean patch sprayed with the lube and a light wipe and buff, and it gun is spotless.
    I've tried many other brands and never found anything that gets a gun as clean as the Blue Wonder, and No Odor, no smell, nothing.
    I first tested it on my S&W Model 36, after it was already clean(or so I thought) and cleaned it with the gel. I was floored to see what came out of a barrel that had already been cleaned until the last patch came out perfectly clean. The Blue Wonder removed a lot of stuff that CLP didn't even loosen.

Home Page Blue Wonder Gun Care Products - Cleaner, Bluing and Protection
    Blue Wonder cleans incredibly well and does all the work by chemical action. Really good stuff.
    Oiling the barrel, just leave a very thin film of oil in the barrel. If the gun is stainless, it probably doesn't even need that.
    Be sure and clean in a well ventalated area, or better yet, outside weather permitting.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Prolix is another all-in-one, like Gunzilla. When I run out of Prolix, I'll try whatever's new at that point (probably 2011).

M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaning Products

or
    Hoppe's 9 - Elite Bore Gel

no smell, no harsh chem's bio degradable, work better then any other solvent ive used

Links