Gun bluing

Gun bluing

This is a discussion on Gun bluing within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Any and/or all tips? I'm using Birchwood Casey Paste type bluing, 4 coats so far and very little color. I did try using a heat ...

Thread: Gun bluing

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Gun bluing

Any and/or all tips?
    I'm using Birchwood Casey Paste type bluing, 4 coats so far and very little color.
    I did try using a heat gun to completely dry the metal after the application of the paste, then the follow-up with water to neutralize the bluing, but I'm still not impressed with the color or the coverage.

Anybody???
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

When I cold blue,I keep rubbing the bluieing with the applicator to work it in evenly,then allow to sit for a little while,then rinse dry and repeat,until I get the desired blue,It should start getting a dark grey right after the first coat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Arrgh, closer inspection with a lighted magnifier and my glasses reveals rust. Back to square one with some naval jelly to make sure it is completely gone.
    I did soak the barrel throughly with Rem-Oil and let sit overnight. Wiped off the excess and sanded and went over it with 0000 steel wool. It looked like every trace of rust was gone, but there must still be some in the pores of the barrel.
    I hate rust!!!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I generally use Birchwood Casey Permablue (liquid) soak a rag with it and rub it in for awhile then I generally leave a some of the liquid on the metal and let it sit.

I was going t o try the paste next time. Guess I'll save myself the trouble. Thanks.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

VIP Member
    For any bluing to work properly the metal must be absolutely free of any type of oil or grease, be sure to wipe metal down with acetone or other degreaser that will leave no residue.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    For any bluing to work properly the metal must be absolutely free of any type of oil or grease, be sure to wipe metal down with acetone or other degreaser that will leave no residue.
    I've heard to use rubbing alcohol and don't touch it with your bare hands after cleaning.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yep no oil. When I strip it with the naval jelly, I'll clean it throughly with acetone, and use latex gloves, like I did last time.
    I think the small areas of rust are causing the problem.
    The heat gun seemed to help somewhat with the color darkening ever so slightly, but until all that rust is gone, I think I'm going to have problems with getting a good even color and coverage.
    Any thoughts on media blasting after the naval jelly treatment? The gun is very old and has several pock marks on the barrel, I'd bet the media blasting would help remove the rust and leave the barrel in better condition for the bluing, as long as the inside of the barrel was protected.

Senior Moderator
    Blasting will be fine as long you give it a thorough cleaning after you blast it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've trie just about every cold blue there is and never got good results. Even if the blue takes, it wears off fast.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Bronell's Oxphoblue.....works GREAT !

I forgot to update with the results.
    I discovered that hot bluing works much better and faster. After each coat of the bluing I rinsed with hot water and used a heat gun to thoroughly dry and heat the barrel, and applied the next coat while the barrel was still very warm to the touch.
    Big difference, three coats covered it well and was a deeper richer color tha 5 coats without the heat.
    If I can remember to take a camera to Dad's house I'll take a couple pics. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially for the first time I've ever blued a gun barrel.
    The gun went from looking like a rusted 100 year old gun to a decent used older gun. Dad was quite pleased.

Links