Mil Spec Lube

Mil Spec Lube

This is a discussion on Mil Spec Lube within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Any ideas exactly what this is, and would you use it? I was given a quart by my father in law, who uses it exclusuvely ...

Thread: Mil Spec Lube

Mil Spec Lube

Any ideas exactly what this is, and would you use it? I was given a quart by my father in law, who uses it exclusuvely on all of his weapons.

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

VIP Member
    IIRC that is the Mil-Spec version of BreakFree CLP, but I could be wrong.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's LSA.

Follow up question...

What is LSA?

This stuff is sort of thick and milky looking... still liquid, but whitish.
    Not like CLP.
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Got it, "Lubricant, Small Arms". Is it any good? Right now I use CLP and Mobil 1 15w-50.
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Mobil 1???
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Mobil 1???
    Yes, Mobil 1. Thru reading this forum as well as many others I decided to give it a shot. I use it on slide rails, barrel lug, etc. I still use CLP as a general cleaner / lube, but the Mobil 1 will make your action smooth like it's on bearings - good stuff!
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Mobil 1???
    All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle.

Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will.

ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle.

Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will.

ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.
    Great info...thanks Bill!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I have used MOBIL-1 since 2002 when I got my new car. I use the left over 1/2 quart. I think I am still on the 1 st 1/2 quart.
    It works extremely well on my M-4s and 1911s. Can't tell any difference on the Glocks but I use it on everything. 0W40. It is recommended for my Corvette and my SRT-8 Jeep. So I use it on all my guns and other vehicles. One stop lube!!!!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Sponsored Links