A couple of things I do during gun cleaning

This is a discussion on A couple of things I do during gun cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Here are a couple of things that might make a good tip for someone. 1. Note in the top part of the picture the bag ...

Thread: A couple of things I do during gun cleaning

VIP Member

A couple of things I do during gun cleaning

Here are a couple of things that might make a good tip for someone.

1. Note in the top part of the picture the bag of Assurance underpads, they are sort of like adult diapers, but they are just a flat piece of blue plastic with an absorbent lining. They unfold pretty big and I use scissors to cut one of them into quarters and that's what you see the two padded gun cases sitting on. I think the cost of one-quarter of the pad is about fifteen cents; while cleaning a handgun I lay the parts on that pad. Of course it catches drips, grime (well hopefully not too much grime), etc. It's easy to see small parts and they don't roll around too easily on that pad.

One pad will last through many gun cleanings. I like using them, and throw them away when they get too dirty. I got the idea from a buddy of mine who is an auto mechanic, he uses something similar.

2. I took some ordinary clothespins and some colored markers and created my own "code" for storing my guns in my safe when I'm finished with them.

Black-Dirty, needs cleaning.
    White-Cleaned gun, and put away without my hands touching it.
    Red-Ammunition is present in the case or in the gun.
    Green-The gun has been handled and maybe fired, though not enough to deserve a black (need of cleaning) just yet.

An example of color code useage- The case on the right easily indicates to me that there is likely ammuntion in/with the gun and it is in need of cleaning asap. I anticipate all of this before I ever actually unzip the case.

An example of the other two colors-The case on the left is just an illustration of the other two colored clothespins, their combination on that case doesn't mean anything as it is, I'm just showing the othe two colors.

All of my handguns are in padded cases in my safe. This color code helps me keep up with which one is clean, dirty or whatever. The red code is only a pre-emptive reminder when I look in my safe to select a gun.

DISCLAIMER- Any gun I remove from my safe, color code or not I check them all with the same diligence. The red color code is not a substitute for not physically checking a gun's chamber.......I CHECK IT RELIGIOUSLY EVERYTIME, despite the color code. I do like the head's-up of the color code though and consider it an extra level of safety before I ever even take it out of the safe.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

You keep your pistols in cases even inside the gun safe? Me too....mine are pretty much impregnated with preservatives!
    Color codes? I'm not so sure. I know which of my firearms get put away before cleaning, and those that do enter into a special place in my head, and it's only because so much can be done in a day's time. I'm always up to date on all of my firearms conditions cleaned or not, and I might even lose some sleep until things are made right. Clothes pins are a good idea, but to me, clothes pins mean hanging targets on chicken wire.
    Red-Ammunition is present in the case or in the gun.
    Those should already be cleaned and ready to go IMO. If they are not, then they should be at the top of the list to clean with no color.
    Think nothing of my reply actually. I know you either have a lot more firearms than I do, or less time to care for them. Neither of which should be considered a bad thing.
    BTW...I haven't seen the pics yet.

Interesting thanks for the post.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Oops, sorry for whatever error may have happened (probably me) but here is the picture (I hope).

Yes I keep all of them in padded cases, actually the cases have numbers and on the inside of the door is a sheet that tells me what numbers match what guns. To me the padded cases prevent the inevitable bumps that the guns could get while shuffling them around.

Often when my son and SIL are here, we'll have a big shoot in the backyard, afterwards I put the guns away and enjoy the family company. If I get too busy and can't clean them rightaway, the color code helps me quickly access the one's I need to clean.

I admit that's a lot of trouble for a couple of guns, but hey I had to sell most of them due to the poor economy.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links