dark spots on barrel!

dark spots on barrel!

This is a discussion on dark spots on barrel! within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I bought a used Kel-Tec PF-9 and the dealer swears it had only been fired a few times. My trusted local dealer confirmed after investigation ...

Thread: dark spots on barrel!

dark spots on barrel!

I bought a used Kel-Tec PF-9 and the dealer swears it had only been fired a few times. My trusted local dealer confirmed after investigation that it was near new. I have reafirmed after owning it a 2 weeks that it was near new because it hade kinks the first week and none the second and now has worn spots were there were none when i recieved it.

I love it and it operates flawlessly but i am worried about the barrel. The barrel is light gray with dark gray spots. I thought nothing of it at first site but i have seen a few pf-9's recently and their barrels are solid gray.

I tried to take a picture but its pointless because you cant tell anything from the picture. The spots aren't rust colored and they are smooth. They are irregular shaped. Some are the size of half an M&M, some the size of a whole M&M and some the size of 2 M&M's.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about the finish of such an inexpensive pistol, especially if you are going to carry it. It will get scratched and wear marks from the holster.

Now in terms of safety. Spots are not necessarily a concern. It might just be poor quality control when putting the anti rust coatings on it. As you use the gun, the barrel heats up and the finish responds.

If there is any cracking, excessive wear, or things that are bent/out of round that is a cause for concern.

I know you said it does not look like rust, but it is good to know Breakfree CLP is amazingly good at stopping rust.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

The only time I'd worry about spots on the barrel would be if there were notches on the grip...

I'd say you are good to go and I wouldn't think a second about the spots.

Stay armed...keep your gun clean...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Those spots sound like some kind of non-recommended cleaning solvent was used on the barrel finish. Matte gray, or something like this?

Links