Lube for p238

This is a discussion on Lube for p238 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; When I clean all my other guns I use Rem Oil and Rem Brite Bore. It cleans them well and then depending on the timing ...

Thread: Lube for p238

Lube for p238

When I clean all my other guns I use Rem Oil and Rem Brite Bore. It cleans them well and then depending on the timing of the next use depends on how heavy of a coat of Rem oil to apply.

I cleaned my new p238 the same way I clean my other guns and then oiled it with Rem oil and put it back together and then put another light coat on it. I also made sure to oil the rails that the slide and frame contact on with a qtip. It seemed very nice and much smoother as I was running through my function tests after reassembling it. Then I pulled it out a few days later to do some dry firing practice and it doesn't feel the same.

Am I oiling/lubing it appropriately? Is there a different type of lubrication I should use on the rails? This is my first handgun purchase and I want it to last. I know there are as many ways to clean a gun as there are guns and as many different products. So please try to keep the ideas to readily available products. This will be my CCW gun once I get everything going smooth with it so it'll be either pocket or IWB carried mostly.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

I have had a 226 since '84 and have used gun oil on the slides with lots of rounds and no significant wear some people suggest a grease lube

SIG says "Lubricant/preservative products are available in a number of different consistencies that range from grease, to liquid, to dry, all of which have application. Be sure you read the manufacturer's directions for use and evaluate your own needs pertaining to the actual application of the pistol."

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerServ...MAINTGUIDE.pdf
    Steve

Life member

Links