Hoppes #9 - Page 3

Hoppes #9

This is a discussion on Hoppes #9 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray The maintenance attention shown the firearm is more important than which type of suitable product is used. Lesson of the day. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hoppes #9

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The maintenance attention shown the firearm is more important than which type of suitable product is used.
    Lesson of the day.

Absolutely, a gun's quality will be far better reflected in the attention paid in maintenance rather than merely the products used for that maintenance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The discussion of gun lubricants is very similar to the discussions I have with all of my car nut buddies (who are also my gun nut buddies...talk about common interests) about motor oils. As one mechanic that has built several engines for me said, a guy that defends his oil to the very end is a guy that changes his oil religiously. The attention to car maintenance (similar to gun maintenance) is a greater factor than which product is used. The degree of variability in modern lubricants is not nearly as great as in the years gone by.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The attention to car maintenance (similar to gun maintenance) is a greater factor than which product is used. The degree of variability in modern lubricants is not nearly as great as in the years gone by.
    I agree 100% that all of the CLP's and cleaners out there will do the same job in the end, but some of the newer ones will do it much faster. I was a Hoppes #9 user for years and years and gave Gunzilla a try. What used to take me 7 or 8 clean cloths down a barrel with Hoppes takes me no more than 3 with Gunzilla. The same for the rest of the gun.

I have been a convert from #9 to Gunzilla for quite a while now. Best product I've ever used!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have to try Gunzilla now! Never heard of it till today.

But to add my .02 cents, I've been using Winchester Breakfree CLP on my glock 27 and my RRA AR-15 and it's been working great! But I'll give Gunzilla a try for sure!
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    CLP... if its good enough for full auto firearms its good enough for me.
    If that is your standard than you may want to investigate Gunzilla as soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are experiencing a 75% lower failure rate when useing Gunzilla. Many are buying Gunzilla out of their pocket and requiring their units use it.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I would venture to say that during my lifetime my firearems most likely are as clean as yours and will perform as well, even though I did not use Godzilla.
    I think you call this contempt prior to investigation. If you actually tried Gunzilla before making a judgment you would discover your conclusion is incorrect.

Based upon actual experience you are mistaken. As proven by over 200 forum members. Who without exception found that their guns were not as clean as they thought. After they cleaned their guns with Gunzilla. We all got dirty patches using Gunzilla on clean guns. Instead of making unfounded assumptions. I along with Ram Rod and others bought Gunzilla to disprove Gunzilla's claims. Without exception we all had to admit that the claims on Gunzilla's website are accurate. If anything they are understated.

Gunzilla cleans better than ANY other product, faster and with less effort. Unlike other cleaners Gunzilla lubricates and protects when you clean your gun. So those two maintenance steps are eliminated. Saving you time and money. Each time you use Gunzilla your weapon stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean. Unlike any other gun cleaner I am aware of and I have used most everything on the market including Reds. Gunzilla is 100% bio-degradable, non toxic made form plant material that is nearly odorless.

You of course are free to wax nostalgic in the garage for hours scrubbing your guns. I prefer to spend a couple of minutes cleaning my guns in the comfort of my house. Spray, wipe, done. Cleaned lubricated and protected. Based upon actual experience not assumption cleaner in minutes than yours will be in an hour.

It is Gunzilla not Godzilla. Godzilla is a Japanese Sci-fi character. Gunzilla is the gun cleaner that will make you eat crow, if you ever try it. Ask Ram Rod

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Truth is there is nothing out there that is all that "much" better despite all the claims and testimonials.
    Untrue. See above your assumption is incorrect
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Try using an old product developed in 1944...it's called "Fluid Film"....an all purpose cleaner, an excellent lubricant, and a tremendous "rust" & "corrosion" preventative. I have used this product for 40 years on all of my weaponry, and by golly it works....far superior to the best on the market today, and in my opinion, as good as or better than "Gunzilla". The best part...it's cheap & can be found on the shelves of your closest John Deere Tractor & Farm Machinery dealership....give it a try & see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tkirk View Post
    in my opinion, as good as or better than "Gunzilla".
    Is that based on actual experience? Have you used Gunzilla or are you just making an assumption? If actual experience I'd like to hear specifics of how they compare.
    I like to base my decisions on verifiable real world facts, not on what other may imagine based upon their assumptions
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Recently picked up a can of Royal Purple synthetic gun oil and so far I'm liking it. I uses Hoppes for cleaning but add the gun oil just for the barrel and moving bits.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Smile You Bring Up An Important Point!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Is that based on actual experience? Have you used Gunzilla or are you just making an assumption? If actual experience I'd like to hear specifics of how they compare.
    I like to base my decisions on verifiable real world facts, not on what other may imagine based upon their assumptions
    My usage of "Gunzilla" has been limited to this past year, thus my long term comparisons of the two products are obviously limited. What I do know is the fact that I have used "Fluid Film" since being introduced to the product in Vietnam in '67 by my old First Sergeant, a WW2 & Korean career NCO who first used the product in '44. Our unit "dumped" all the existing, recommended military lubes at that time in favor of "Fluid Film"....and with great results, thus my recommendation. I hope to live long enough to compare the old vs the new....I'll get back to you.....MAYBE!!!

I've begun using Milcomm 25 (MC25). It's a water based cleaner that's not as hard on table finish or your kidneys. I originally purchased a small bottle because I was doubtful of how effective a water based cleaner could be. It works very well indeed and I need to get some more.

For grease, I'm using Milcomm TW25B since that's what came from Sig. I understand it to be a suspension of microscopic Teflon particles, sans trademark name.

For high temperature oil, I picked up MilTec-1. I use so little of that, the bottle should last me forever. A couple drops on a patch and run it through the clean barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links