Hoppes #9

Hoppes #9

This is a discussion on Hoppes #9 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've used Hoppes #9 for a long time on my USP , I was looking at an earlier thread and it reminded me of a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoppes #9

Hoppes #9

I've used Hoppes #9 for a long time on my USP , I was looking at an earlier thread and it reminded me of a conversation
    I had I told my friend what I use to clean my gun and they asked if I used Hoppes oil to protect the barrel after cleaning, I told them I run a patch with #9 thru it and thats all I've ever done to protect the barrel and don't use the oil for that.
    Does anyone think I would be better served by using the oil instead to protect the barrel??

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    I've used Hoppes #9 for a long time on my USP , I was looking at an earlier thread and it reminded me of a conversation I had I told my friend what I use to clean my gun and they asked if I used Hoppes oil to protect the barrel after cleaning, I told them I run a path with #9 thru it and thats all I've ever done to protect the barrel and don't use the oil for that. Does anyone think I would be better served by using the oil instead to protect the barrel??
    You know..............I used Hoppes #9 and CLP religiously for years. I've found something better, and a one does all cleaner/preservative/rust prevent. Gunzilla.

no #9 will work just as good. i have done both ways with my guns and have found out that #9 works just as good as oil inisde the barrel.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Eliminate all your concerns and use this for everything... TopDuck Products, LLC - Creators of Gunzilla, The World's Best Gun Cleaner
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use hoppes to clean the whole gun including the inside of the barrel, than I use break-free lub and coat the inside of the barrel with that using cleaning patches. Before going to the range I than run a few dry patches through the barrel.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    CLP... if its good enough for full auto firearms its good enough for me.

I use #9 on all barrels and most frames and CLP on Tupperware frames.

If I am going to store a gun for a long time, I run a patch coated with light oil down the barrel and put a barrel pug in it, just to remind me to remove the oil before I shoot.

Hoppes #9, CLP, touch of grease (cant remember the name without digging out my cleaning box), and a silicone cloth to coat the slide and parts of the frame except for the grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

For the first few years I used Hoppes strictly #9 for cleaning and lubrication. Lately I've been dabbling in other products like Break Free, mostly because my wife hates the smell of the Hoppes. (Smell? What smell? That's the smell of Victory!) All the ones mentioned earlier will perform roughly the same when put against one another.

Of course, subjectivity will, in the end, determine one's personal favorite. You're not going to make a mistake by using any of the cleaners/lubricants/preservers listed above. Unless shooting competitions is the way you make your living, you're probably not going to see the difference on your paper target, no matter what you use.

Then again, some folks like to have that kind of setup. They almost hate to get their firearms dirty because it looks so pretty. Don't get me wrong: looks definitely has its place in deciding which oil you're going to use. I love a handsome 1911 or 9mm or .40 cal. But to me, the biggest reasons for getting/keeping a gun clean is for safety and for giving your weapon the best chance to last a generation or two without having to replace every part.

I've heard the line that Hoppes #9 will erode the barrel if left on for a long period of time. That's just not right. My own early experience can attest to that. I've never been able to wear out a barrel by cleaning it. Plus, oils have come a long way since I started shooting that probably allows the owner to clean less frequently, but I don't like the sound of that at all. Personally, I'd be very embarrassed if one of my shooting buddies came across one of my pistols, and I hadn't cleaned it. The first lesson we learned in Basic was to keep your weapon clean. They speak from experience too. Even at Sniper School at Pendleton, or should I say especially at Sniper School, a clean weapon meant one could reliably produce 2 inch groupings at 800 yards; a fouled weapon, not so much. To a sniper, that's the difference between pass or fail.

Anyway, I digress. Clean your weapon the best you can with a good quality oil. Anything you don't know how to do, or you're not sure whether or not to clean it, this forum is a great pool of knowledge for those who seek it. More like an ocean.

Happy new year, everybody!
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Gunzilla does it all......
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Over the last 50 years I have used a lot of bottles of Hoppes #9 and I still have some. Breakfree came on the scene and I started using some of both Now that I have tried Gunsilla, well it is the absolute best I've ever used period. I will use the Hoppes as an aftershave before going to gun shows and the like.

I have use Hoppes #9 for nearly half a century and have never been disappointed. Currently I'm using something else I got from somebody, don't remember who or why, that is also good, but #9 is still my favorite cologne.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Gunzilla is the new standard.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Over the last 50 years I have used a lot of bottles of Hoppes #9 and I still have some. Breakfree came on the scene and I started using some of both Now that I have tried Gunsilla, well it is the absolute best I've ever used period. I will use the Hoppes as an aftershave before going to gun shows and the like.
    I likewise have used Hoppes #9 for over 50 years. There is something nostalgic about using it -- something like "I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning." That being said, my guns have not suffered from lack of use of the more modern cleaners.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I use Hoppes #9 on my rifles and revolves. I just scrub the barrels of my Semi-autos with a brass brush in Hot water and dish washing soap - blow them out and relube. I clean the rest of the gun with a spray cleaner and then relube.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links