carry gun cleaning question

This is a discussion on carry gun cleaning question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hi, I am having an issue I wanted to ask about. My carry gun is a kel-tec pf-9 and pretty much I have wipe out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carry gun cleaning question

Hi, I am having an issue I wanted to ask about. My carry gun is a kel-tec pf-9 and pretty much I have wipe out the barrel every day as it collects a good amount of dust on the inside just from a days worth of carrying. Is this normal? Should I worry about this and keep cleaning it every day or is it no big deal. Also I do put a very very light coat of oil on the inside of the barrel to prevent rust, so Im sure this is why it sticks so bad. Any advice?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Oil can attract dust and lint. What kind of holster are you using? I find that my 1911 gets a little bit of dust/lint from the holster itself, so I give it a quick wipe-down each day when I out it to bed. Once every 3-4 weeks I disassemble and clean it. I don't add oil daily just when I do a cleaning.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    It's ok to run an oiled patch through the barrel but I always follow it with a dry patch to get the puddles out. A dry patch in/out a couple of times will still leave a residue that will help prevent rust. Some barrels are chrome lined and this will deter rust for a long time until thousands of rounds are shot through it. I wipe my gun daily on the outside with a black "T" shirt with CLP on it. I clean my carry guns once per month and re-lube the slides with grease. I also use leather holsters with open muzzles. Dirt and dust seems to fall through. A small amount of lint on the inside of the barrel wont affect its ability to fire.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I agree. Less oil = less lint. Lint on a CCW usually gathers within a fraction of an inch into the muzzle, but looks bad from the outside. IMO...not need to break it down every day to clean. A q-tip should suffice for this, once or twice a week.

It's normal part of dust/lint collection. Clean the gun periodically, if you carry it, whether you shoot it or not.

this is normal, no matter what you do. it is only at the front, so you can just wipe it out with a q-tip once a week. don't over think this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Using a holster with a closed bottom would help, but it's still not a big problem...just clean as recommended in the above thread.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hate todo this cuz its gonna sound like a shameless plug..But its true so it should help with your problem.

Oil attracts dust and lint, More oil attracts more. Gunzilla is non-ionic and does not attract dust. Try gunzilla & I'll bet your problem goes away.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    If you use a holster that does not protect the pistol from the elements (sweat), it is normal to wipe off the external parts w/ silicone cloth everytime you put it away. And, if you carry everyday, I would suggest a minimum once a week to field strip the handgun and oiling the internal parts, preferably with oiled wipes. Unless you fired it, cleaning the parts with solvent prior to oiling is not necessary.

I'll 2nd the plug for Gunzilla. After switching to Gunzilla, my gun maintenance has dropped considerably.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If I shoot it I clean it with Gunzilla. Gunzilla leaves a dry lubricant that carbon, dust lint, sand or dirt does not adhere to and will protect a properly stored unused gun for at least two years. Spray wipe done. Cleaned lubricated protected
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

+1 on the Gunzilla. I noticed a difference after switching from Break Free.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Another plug for Gunzilla, great stuff!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not fanatical about gun cleaning. I clean as needed. Less is more when using oils. Any that runs off is wasted, which is the majority of what's applied.

Or you can get a Glock and just run it through the dishwasher once a week!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm not fanatical about gun cleaning. I clean as needed. Less is more when using oils. Any that runs off is wasted, which is the majority of what's applied.
    Oil and grease are obsolete on guns. An unnecessary waste of money & time that attracts lint, dust, dirt and grime. Resulting in needless weapon failures.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links