Help reattaching the Slide on my Glock 22 is needed

This is a discussion on Help reattaching the Slide on my Glock 22 is needed within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hi there. I have disassembled and reassembled my new Glock probably close to 10 times successfully since I picked it up, so I'm kind of ...

Thread: Help reattaching the Slide on my Glock 22 is needed

Help reattaching the Slide on my Glock 22 is needed

Hi there. I have disassembled and reassembled my new Glock probably close to 10 times successfully since I picked it up, so I'm kind of clueless as to what's going wrong now on the 11th that's keeping me from getting it done.

I've cleaned it, reassembled everything (a.k.a. put the barrel back in the slide, attached the guide rod/spring down to the half moon), and I'm able to maneuver the slide all the way onto the receiver until the very last millimeter.

At this point, of course, I need to be holding down both of the little doohickeys that permit the attachment of the slide. I am holding them down, but the slide will not budge the last millimeter to home.

I have checked the slide, nothing appears to be in the way of the track. I have checked the receiver, nothing appears to be in the way. I have verified that indeed the two little button/tab/doohickey things that need depressing/"pulled down" are indeed being pulled down by me while I do this.

I'm completely lost.

I have fiddled around with the trigger, first ensuring that it's fully back. Then moving it to the forward position. This accomplishes nothing. I have (without force) attempted to push-in or move-around anything that protrudes from the receiver/main gun part. Nothing moves.

What am I doing wrong?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

First try it without pulling down on the two take down tabs on the front half of the frame. You have to pull them down to disassemble the slide from the frame, but you do not need to depress them for reassembly.

This is the only thing I can think of which might be causing the hang up. Pulling down on them in the same way you do for disassemble may be what's causing the slide to hang up those last couple of millimeters. Provided everything else is in the proper place, barrel, guide rod, etc.

The slide should be able to simply slide all the way back as in full recoil and then come to rest in full battery as you release rearward tension on the slide.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Make sure that your recoil spring/guide rod assembly is in the proper postion...that is...seats fully into the 'cut'...the rod should be centered and parrellel with the barrel. If this in not correct, you may encounter the resistance you are speaking of...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

put barrel in, put recoil spring/guide rod in. line up slide on frame and slide it on in one motion. no need to hold down the locking tabs. make sure you do not have a mag in.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Here is a 5 minute youtube video on field stripping a G22. At about 3:40 is where they are reassembling.

YouTube - Glock Disassembly / Field Strip
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Thank you all. I gave myself a 5 minute rest after posting to get un-frustrated, then took the "whole thing" down and retried. I was able to get it back together again.

I had tried futzing with the guide rod probably 3 times before I posted. But I guess the combination of being calm/cool/collected and taking the guide rod and barrel out, then assembling again must have done it.

To my eyes, the guide rod had been in proper position (checked that it was parallel with the slide, that the rear of the rod/spring was in the lower half-moon position, not sitting high), but I think probably there was some tiny maladjustment here that was stopping that last millimeter "snick".

Thank for your responses!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Yeah, Glocks are one of the simplest weapons to field strip and reassemble. If it won't go back together, it's usually something very minor preventing success.

At least you saved yourself the embarrassment of taking your gun back to the dealer in pieces and asking if he could put it back together for you!

I'm glad it all worked out for ya!

So, how you liking that new Glock? Nice guns, eh?

I've had my G-23 about 12 or 13 years and it's not one I'll ever get rid of. They just keep on rockin!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links