Some questions about using old shirts instead of patches

This is a discussion on Some questions about using old shirts instead of patches within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I inadvertently buried my questions in another thread, my apologies to anyone who already read it there. I see many people mention using old t-shirts ...

Thread: Some questions about using old shirts instead of patches

I inadvertently buried my questions in another thread, my apologies to anyone who already read it there.

I see many people mention using old t-shirts as cleaning rags and have a few questions about them as I will be joining the fold in the near future:

Some people mention cutting them up into strips of varying size.
    a. what all do you use the strips for?
    b. are we talking small like cleaning patches or long, wide strips? what are the various uses for each size?
    c. does everyone cut them up and just not mention it, or do some folks leave their shirts whole (I cannot come up with any practical reason for this one)?

I saw someone mention using a black shirt so you cannot tell it's dirty. Joking (if there was any) aside,
    a. do you/how often do you clean said shirt patches?
    b. what do you wash them in? any concerns with cleaning detergent residue on the cloth causing damage/leading to corrosion of gun parts (metal or plastic)?

thanks!

I f you wash old T-shirts and run them though the rinse cycle you should be ok.
    As far as how to cut them, it would depend on the size of the barrel. Little squares and strips are both usefull, and a lot cheaper than buying those pre-cut squares(as long as you're getting rid of the shirt anyway).
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on monk's comments.

I do keep a whole shirt or two around and I use it for wiping down the big parts, including the reassembled gun.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I saw someone mention using a black shirt so you cannot tell it's dirty.

Actually, using black will keep the lint from the cloth from showing up on the black finish of your firearm.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

You can cut a shirt up in about 1/4s and it will be a decent sized rag. Or, if you want cleaning patches, then go quite a bit smaller. Just depends on your application. As for me, once the rag is dirty, toss it and use a new one. It's not like I do through that many anyways.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Thanks for the input!

100% cotton is my recommendation. I've used old cotton t-shirts for firearms maintenance ever since I started shelling out old t-shirts. Can't say I've ever used them for bore patches since they aren't as tightly woven fabric, and stretch more. I say go for it, and find what fits best.

I cut them into rag size pieces and into patch size pieces. It is kinda of a pain cutting patch size rags. For patch size rags I like to use light colored t shirts so I can tell when the patch comes out clean while cleaning the bore.
    I wash the t shirts before cutting into rags. I just throw them away when dirty.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

yes i do use old shirts for patches. they work well. cheap and easy.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The office I worked out of (telephone service tech) over 10 years ago made sheets for hospital birthing beds; tight weave 100% cotton, real quality stuff. Every time I was by the shop I would raid their dumpster; I still have patches I cut and patch material for another 20 years.

I've never used them for patches as I bought a ton of patches in the past and still haven't come close to using them all up. I do use them for wiping the gun parts down.

I use the t-shirts to wipe down the guns when they return from the range. Get most of the powder off with them and then toss them.

I've started using my fingers for oiling, with clean t-shirt rags used to wipe down on the big parts. A couple drops, rub in with fingers and then wipe down with the rags. Works like a charm.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP, you're puttng way too much thought into this.

Cut them to what ever size you need as you need them.
    Wash? Throw then away.

Any cotton is good, flannel is better. Just remember to remove the buttons!Synthetics don't absorb well.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've been using old t-shirts to clean guns for as long as I can remember. They're perfect, and I seem to have an endless supply. I like to keep a whole one in my cleaning box along with some cut into 18" squares.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Oooooh! you need to be careful 'bout old shirts. I was using an old tore up Harley tee after I thought it was soft. Man don't do it!!!! I actually ate the barrel to the point of discombuberation.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

Sponsored Links