What I dislike.....

What I dislike.....

This is a discussion on What I dislike..... within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; WOW! Here I thought forums were for discussions, but yet one of my threads gets locked for trying to discuss issues that relate to defensive ...

Thread: What I dislike.....

What I dislike.....

WOW! Here I thought forums were for discussions, but yet one of my threads gets locked for trying to discuss issues that relate to defensive carry (the name of this site in case people forgot). Apparently if an opinion on this forum may stir up certain people or go against a majority, it gets locked. I certainly have no purpose of posting here any more if this is how closed off people will be. I suppose I will find another forum that can handle civil discussions.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by someguy85 View Post
    WOW! Here I thought forums were for discussions, but yet one of my threads gets locked for trying to discuss issues that relate to defensive carry (the name of this site in case people forgot). Apparently if an opinion on this forum may stir up certain people or go against a majority, it gets locked. I certainly have no purpose of posting here any more if this is how closed off people will be. I suppose I will find another forum that can handle civil discussions.
    I looked over your posts, and 3 out of 4 prior to the OC discussion were certainly well received and not controversial. The Open Carry subject is a hot-button issue which has historically generated more heat than light, and if you had read the lead-in to the "Open Carry Issues and Discussions" topic, you would have seen the following:
    "Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry."

From my viewpoint, you overlooked the stated boundaries of the topic with your comment "I'm not a big fan of open carry.." Administrator Bumper then gave you an alternative before locking the thread.

Rather than throwing out the baby with the bath water by bailing our of DC, I suggest you hang around a bit and read lots of posts. Get a sense of the flavor and demeanor that prevails here... there is a HUGE amount of info posted, it's like drinking from a fire hose. Not every post is valuable, but with some cockpit time you'll figure it out. Slow it down a bit and savor what the good stuff is that's here to be absorbed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Apparently if an opinion on this forum may stir up certain people or go against a majority, it gets locked.
    Be specific. What rule/reg was violated, if it was locked or removed?

Topics need not please the majority. They must pass muster on the forum rules. If you're wondering what those are, refer back to the list that you reviewed when you joined up. Or, check with Bumper, the forum Admin and owner of DC.

"I'm not a big fan of open carry.." Administrator Bumper then gave you an alternative before locking the thread.
    If this is what the issue was, then consider this: Getting into a forum FOR the purpose of discussing a topic only to then rant and rag on that topic goes directly against forum rules and guidelines. Reality is, disliking a product is one thing. But disliking someone's choice of procedure, in an area that is perfectly legal, appropriate and upstanding in a community, is essentially an attack on that person's choices. INVARIABLY, when such things are "discussed" they devolve into personal attacks. This specific topic is identified in the forum rules, for this purpose.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Oddly enough, I thought Bumper was quite civil in suggesting that you move your discussion to the "Concealed Carry" forum, rather than the "Open Carry" forum where your topic of interest is explicitly disallowed by the rules you had to acknowledge reading before you ever made a post.

Telling the rest of us five posts into your DC.com visit that you have no respect for our rules, on the other hand, seems quite lacking in civility to me.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    I suppose I will find another forum that can handle civil discussions.
    A total of 5 posts and you have come to that conclusion eh?

Good luck.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    WOW! is right. You see we have no problems with discussions that a) are civil and b) comply with the rules. In case you are wondering the rules to which I am referring are the ones to which you agreed when you joined. Now I realize that many people just agree and don't bother to read the rules and that is fine, but those people have no right to complain if they get slapped for a rules violation. In fact the first thing that happens to someone who violates a rule is a warning and a trip back through the rules. For most people that is sufficient to help them to understand that the rules are not just words that are posted for the sake of having words posted. Our rules are really the rules by which you are expected to abide. If someone feels that they cannot abide by the rules there is nothing holding them here. They are welcome to go somewhere else.

Of course we occasionally have someone who knows that they cannot abide by the rules, but believe they are the exception and shouldn't have to follow the rules. These individuals soon learn the meaning of an old song by Little Anthony and the Imperials called "I'm On the Outside Looking In." This is a privately owned forum and the owner, Bumper, has set up the rules. We the moderators enforce the rules and we do not put up with people who feel that they are above the rules. If this is your situation move along else where or if you aren't big enough to do that just go ahead and violate the rules. We call this suicide by moderator. We will ban you. We really don't like to do it, we get no pleasure from it, but like doctors we will excise the cancer as soon as we recognize it.

The ball is now in your court.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

DC Founder
    There's not a lot for me to add at this point since several of our members and staff have already addressed it, but I did offer you a way, within our rules to pose your question without ruffling the feathers of our members that choose to open carry. If you carry a handgun for any length of time, talk to people at the range or a shooting club or hang around any gun related forum for awhile you will find that open carry is a hot button issue. I don't totally understand it, I don't necessarily agree with it but it is a fact that people on both sides of the issue will tell you. We try very hard here to get our membership to discuss issues without going at each others' throats which does nothing to keep the discussions civil and will ,left unchecked, destroy a forum. That, too, is a fact. Our rules are not just a bunch of words thrown together to make me some type of dictator. They are meant to preserve the integrity of the forum over the long haul. For that reason, we actually enforce our rules. If you can understand that logic then I would ask you to reconsider what the problem is. Otherwise, I wish you luck in finding a forum with less friction and drama. We are what we are but we're not for everybody.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have had threads moved,closed due to problems,I have received infractions for language and content,I learn from my mistakes and hang around to learn from others about other states,and share my experience on others.To get upset over a post being closed etc. can be normal,but to threaten to take your ball and go home would cheat you out of possibly learning something that may save your life someday
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I certainly have no purpose of posting here any more if this is how closed off people will be. I suppose I will find another forum that can handle civil discussions.
    Ok, so you drove the car off the highway and got on the shoulder a little bit. Shake it off and steer back on the highway and keep going with the rest of us.

There's a LOT to gain on this well-run forum, if you slam the door behind you, you're the one that loses the most.

Note I'm not part of the staff, I'm just a regular guy that's been on here for nearly 3 years and have accumulated about 1700 posts, and started a lot of threads. I've never gotten an infraction, and I can't recall I've had any warnings.

If I have a thread idea that's questionable I run the idea by a moderator before I post it.

The mods actually enforcing the rules here, is what makes and keeps this forum civil. Good luck on what you decide to do.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    FWIW, I would have sent this as a PM rather than post it as a thread. I find the mods to be good people who are willing to help and simply wanted the forum to run in the way in which it was designed.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I suggest ( like some of the other members) that you hang around
    and give yourself a chance to enjoy and learn from the wealth of experiance and knowledge that makes up DC .
    But if you really feel you have been wronged and must leave us ,
    Don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

yep, we have rules, they are posted and enforced and for very good reasons.
    please dont be too upset by this; we would love for you to hang around as we all have a lot to learn from each other.
    if you choose not to thats your own business, but i sure like it here!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Sponsored Links