Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please be Civil When Talking About Other Members' Home States

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 · (Edited)
I am constantly reading posts where users are “bashing” other peoples’ home states, especially those in the northeast, and in particular, New York. Some of the epithets that have been posted are downright nasty and provocative.

Those of us that live in the more firearm restrictive states, do so because we love it where we are, or are forced by necessity. I personally think the Hudson River Valley of New York State is one of the greatest scenic wonders of the lower 48, and I would wish all DC.com members could experience the beauty.

But, it discourages me when I read posts from members hurling insults to those of us that live and work in New York State, telling us we should pack up and move to a “free” state. This, in my opinion, goes against the rules of civility set by the wonderful staff at DC.com.

While I recognize that free speech is the standard, and I also recognize that New York’s gun rules and regulations are difficult, and the politics may not be the best (to say the least), that is no reason to use inflammatory language to refer to our great state. It's perfectly okay to criticize the laws, and the politicians for making those laws, and I encourage the debate, but let's try and do it in a polite fashion.

That’s it. I needed to get that off my chest, I’m sure there will be lots of responses.

See less See more
#2 ·
One has to understand also, that for many who live in those states they are in a decided minority, having lived through generational welfare and liberalism which have created many of the problems the bashers like to highlight in their cheap shots......

I am personally hoping that some of these states (and people) can change their ways now that they are running out of money...

#3 ·
Interesting. I must admit that I've found myself banging on the keyboard and taking aim at a state & a member of this forum, and then rethinking and deleting. There is no profit in poking one another in the eye. Good thought, good post. As we are brothers and sisters in arms, we need to go a bit easier from time to time.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I try not to disparage those who live in the more restrictive states, but I do pray for them.:smile:

#10 ·
I am constantly reading posts where users are “bashing” other peoples’ home states, especially those in the northeast, and in particular, New York. Some of the epithets that have been posted are downright nasty and provocative.

Those of us that live in the more firearm restrictive states, do so because we love it where we are, or are forced by necessity. I personally think the Hudson River Valley of New York State is one of the greatest scenic wonders of the lower 48, and I would wish all DC.com members could experience the beauty.

But, it discourages me when I read posts from members hurling insults to those of us that live and work in New York State, telling us we should move to a “free” state. This, in my opinion, goes against the rules of civility set by the wonderful staff at DC.com.

While I recognize that free speech is the standard, and I also recognize that New York’s gun rules and regulations are difficult, and the politics may not be the best (to say the least), that is no reason to use inflammatory language to refer to our great state.

That’s it. I needed to get that off my chest, I’m sure there will be lots of responses.
Well said. I've probably been one of those to bash anothers home state, it's not right. Most of them agree and would like to get out but I certainly understand the difficulty in moving out of state. I hope they can get some changes made in their home state.

#11 ·
You're right. We should be hurling epithets at the people who live in those states, because they're the ones who create the "pro-crime" atmosphere. After all, it's not the Alleghenys' fault that the Marylanders happen to live there.

#12 · (Edited)
You're right. We should be hurling epithets at the people who live in those states, because they're the ones who create the "pro-crime" atmosphere.
Yes, but even then, probably just to the politicians that make the ridiculous laws we deal with!

#14 ·
The Hudson River Valley is indeed beautiful as is much of NY. People (including NY residents) either forget or never knew that NY is not NYC, or put another way, NYC and environs is a very very tiny portion of NY State. Judging NYS from NYC is a bit like assuming all of Florida is like Miami.

Sadly, most visitors to NY see only NYC, and most NYC residents seldom if ever venture to the nicer parts of NY north of Westchester County. There is certainly a marvelous beauty at West Point, and Bear Mountain and points North along the Hudson, and all the way to the Canadian US border-- Niagra Falls.

There is a great deal to commend life in NY, but the gun laws aren't among those things.

As for liberal v conservative, some of the most "conservative" people you can run into anywhere reside in NY. They simply are in the political minority right now. NY also long had Republican Governors, though many of these were quite liberal by the standards of today. E.g., Gov. Rockefeller who later was Vice President of the United States. Pataki not so much, for sure.

The opposite is true in Texas. There are, and always have been, pockets of liberalism even in some rural areas in East Central Texas. And of course Central West Texas is the home of LBJ who had a very "liberal" domestic agenda. Governor Richards was as "western" as could be but certainly no political conservative, and the same for the late columnist Molly Ivins.

It is too easy to label and to call names, and to generalize from specific instances and examples. The OP makes a valid point. We shouldn't demonize each other's home state. It is a matter of civility.

#15 ·
It is too easy to label and to call names, and to generalize from specific instances and examples. The OP makes a valid point. We shouldn't demonize each other's home state. It is a matter of civility.
Very well said, and thanks for your response!

#16 ·
Sorry, but I disagree with many of New York's and California's laws on guns. Consider it what you will, but I wouldn't live in either of those states due to the laws they have on guns as well as in several other areas. You love it, good for you.... but it wouldn't be for me. Now, that's just my opinion. I don't think that's bashing, that's just a fact for me. Politically, I don't agree with about any of the politicians that they elect either. So, obviously I"m not in line-step with the mentality of the citizens that elect them. Again, that's just a fact.... and my opinion.

Uh, you really can't expect that just because you love it, everyone else will agree. Different strokes for different folks. I don't see how that has anything to do with you personally.

#19 ·
You are correct, that you can criticize that a particular state's laws are too restrictive for you, and you certainly have a right to express disapproval, and your hesitancy to live in such a state.

All I was asking is that your disapproval be in polite terms. There are so many words in the English language to express disdain without going "over the edge". This is not a personal rebuttal, just an observation!

#18 ·
Count me in as one of the guilty of saying maybe not so nice things about states that have restrictive firearm laws.

My wife happens to be from Illinois and I have made bad remarks about their state, laws and law makers.

I will refrain from throwing jabs at any state or it's laws. Good post, it probably needed saying and it was, in a nice sort of way as well.

#20 ·
I can understand how someone could get tired of hearing people say negative things about their state because of its laws/politicians. I get tired of hearing criticisms about things I agree with or enjoy. If members are hurling these criticisms at the person for living in the state because of the state's laws, then that needs to cease. If I've done that to anyone in this personal fashion on here, I apologize and I don't remember doing it.

I'm not trying to be rude or slam you Jon in saying what I'm about to say either. I enjoy your posts and seeing you on the forum.

Just IMO....I think that people don't need to be offended by someone criticizing their state.
Its not directed at a person, but rather at the laws/politicians.
If you didn't write the laws and the politicians aren't your family, then let it roll off.
If you like to live there....great....have at it. If people say you should move, etc, blow it off, let them babble. If you know you want to stay there and like where you live then...well I can't type what I want to say due to forum rules...lets just say they can't take a long leap off a short pier.

If others want to criticize, let them criticize...its you that have to or choose to live there and you like it, who cares what others say?
Of course, this doesn't mean people can use vulgar language or break other forum rules in doing so. I don't think bashing a state, state's laws, or state's politicians violates forum rules, but you're right about it being aimed at a member here.

Do you like the plane in your avatar? great, you're the one that will use it. If I don't like the color of the stripes or think the plane is ugly...guess what...I don't have to fly in it or look at it.
I get tired of hearing people bash Glocks, oh well, I like the price, the way it shoots and mine are all rock solid dependable....I couldn't care less if some 1911 guru in Washington, California, New York or Kansas doesn't like Glocks or if they don't like Texas laws or politicians.

Again Jon, I agree....people need to be civil on here and not direct their criticism of the state's laws and politicians by hurling insults at the individual that lives in said state.
wow that was way longer than I expected it to be

#21 ·
Its not directed at a person, but rather at the laws/politicians.
Yes, I know it was not a personal attack, and I never took it as such. But some of the adjectives used to describe NY have been downright nasty.

I have refrained from repeating them here, because I really don't want to stir up the pot. If any DC members are interested, I can certainly point them to some of these threads.

It just irks me, that people would choose to use such language instead of finding better ways to describe resentment towards laws and politics.

I guess I'm just a sensitive puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.