Please be Civil When Talking About Other Members' Home States

This is a discussion on Please be Civil When Talking About Other Members' Home States within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I am constantly reading posts where users are “bashing” other peoples’ home states, especially those in the northeast, and in particular, New York. Some of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please be Civil When Talking About Other Members' Home States

I am constantly reading posts where users are “bashing” other peoples’ home states, especially those in the northeast, and in particular, New York. Some of the epithets that have been posted are downright nasty and provocative.

Those of us that live in the more firearm restrictive states, do so because we love it where we are, or are forced by necessity. I personally think the Hudson River Valley of New York State is one of the greatest scenic wonders of the lower 48, and I would wish all DC.com members could experience the beauty.

But, it discourages me when I read posts from members hurling insults to those of us that live and work in New York State, telling us we should pack up and move to a “free” state. This, in my opinion, goes against the rules of civility set by the wonderful staff at DC.com.

While I recognize that free speech is the standard, and I also recognize that New York’s gun rules and regulations are difficult, and the politics may not be the best (to say the least), that is no reason to use inflammatory language to refer to our great state. It's perfectly okay to criticize the laws, and the politicians for making those laws, and I encourage the debate, but let's try and do it in a polite fashion.

That’s it. I needed to get that off my chest, I’m sure there will be lots of responses.
    Last edited by JonInNY; March 25th, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

One has to understand also, that for many who live in those states they are in a decided minority, having lived through generational welfare and liberalism which have created many of the problems the bashers like to highlight in their cheap shots......

I am personally hoping that some of these states (and people) can change their ways now that they are running out of money...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member
    Interesting. I must admit that I've found myself banging on the keyboard and taking aim at a state & a member of this forum, and then rethinking and deleting. There is no profit in poking one another in the eye. Good thought, good post. As we are brothers and sisters in arms, we need to go a bit easier from time to time.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Can we insult our own state...? :)

al (IL)
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    There is no profit in poking one another in the eye. Good thought, good post. As we are brothers and sisters in arms, we need to go a bit easier from time to time.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    Can we insult our own state...? :)
    al (IL)
    Sure, as long as you are polite!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I try not to disparage those who live in the more restrictive states, but I do pray for them.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Maybe I'm callous, but I don't really care what anybody thinks of my state or any other aspect of my life. :)
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

What do you expect? You live in New York! Oh, wait a minute, I live in Commiefornia; never mind!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    What do you expect? You live in New York! Oh, wait a minute, I live in Commiefornia; never mind!
    Cute!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I am constantly reading posts where users are “bashing” other peoples’ home states, especially those in the northeast, and in particular, New York. Some of the epithets that have been posted are downright nasty and provocative.

Those of us that live in the more firearm restrictive states, do so because we love it where we are, or are forced by necessity. I personally think the Hudson River Valley of New York State is one of the greatest scenic wonders of the lower 48, and I would wish all DC.com members could experience the beauty.

But, it discourages me when I read posts from members hurling insults to those of us that live and work in New York State, telling us we should move to a “free” state. This, in my opinion, goes against the rules of civility set by the wonderful staff at DC.com.

While I recognize that free speech is the standard, and I also recognize that New York’s gun rules and regulations are difficult, and the politics may not be the best (to say the least), that is no reason to use inflammatory language to refer to our great state.

That’s it. I needed to get that off my chest, I’m sure there will be lots of responses.
    Well said. I've probably been one of those to bash anothers home state, it's not right. Most of them agree and would like to get out but I certainly understand the difficulty in moving out of state. I hope they can get some changes made in their home state.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    You're right. We should be hurling epithets at the people who live in those states, because they're the ones who create the "pro-crime" atmosphere. After all, it's not the Alleghenys' fault that the Marylanders happen to live there.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    You're right. We should be hurling epithets at the people who live in those states, because they're the ones who create the "pro-crime" atmosphere.
    Yes, but even then, probably just to the politicians that make the ridiculous laws we deal with!
    Last edited by JonInNY; March 25th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Yes, but even then, probably just to the politicians that make the rediculous laws we deal with!

Too bad none of them are on this forum, of course if they were maybe we wouldn't even have this thread...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    The Hudson River Valley is indeed beautiful as is much of NY. People (including NY residents) either forget or never knew that NY is not NYC, or put another way, NYC and environs is a very very tiny portion of NY State. Judging NYS from NYC is a bit like assuming all of Florida is like Miami.

Sadly, most visitors to NY see only NYC, and most NYC residents seldom if ever venture to the nicer parts of NY north of Westchester County. There is certainly a marvelous beauty at West Point, and Bear Mountain and points North along the Hudson, and all the way to the Canadian US border-- Niagra Falls.

There is a great deal to commend life in NY, but the gun laws aren't among those things.

As for liberal v conservative, some of the most "conservative" people you can run into anywhere reside in NY. They simply are in the political minority right now. NY also long had Republican Governors, though many of these were quite liberal by the standards of today. E.g., Gov. Rockefeller who later was Vice President of the United States. Pataki not so much, for sure.

The opposite is true in Texas. There are, and always have been, pockets of liberalism even in some rural areas in East Central Texas. And of course Central West Texas is the home of LBJ who had a very "liberal" domestic agenda. Governor Richards was as "western" as could be but certainly no political conservative, and the same for the late columnist Molly Ivins.

It is too easy to label and to call names, and to generalize from specific instances and examples. The OP makes a valid point. We shouldn't demonize each other's home state. It is a matter of civility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is too easy to label and to call names, and to generalize from specific instances and examples. The OP makes a valid point. We shouldn't demonize each other's home state. It is a matter of civility.
    Very well said, and thanks for your response!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links