Ignore Forum

Ignore Forum

This is a discussion on Ignore Forum within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Why can we not mark specific forums 'ignored' if we don't have any interest in their discussions? Many other boards I have seen have this ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Ignore Forum

  1. #1
    New Member Array Doc usn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    Posts
    5

    Ignore Forum

    Why can we not mark specific forums 'ignored' if we don't have any interest in their discussions? Many other boards I have seen have this tool available.
    Doc Mark
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Life Member
    Walther PPS 9mm, Taurus PT-111 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP

    Remember, when seconds count - the police are only minutes away.


  2. #2
    Member Array Benthic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    330
    This is one that's been asked many times in the past. The 'forum ignore' feature is apparently an add on to vBulletin (the software that DC runs on). If it was added, then it would have to be re-added every time there was a software update.

    Brian

  3. #3
    New Member Array Doc usn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    Posts
    5
    It doesn't seem to be a problem to be re-added on other forums, why on this one?
    Doc Mark
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Life Member
    Walther PPS 9mm, Taurus PT-111 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP

    Remember, when seconds count - the police are only minutes away.

  4. #4
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc usn View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a problem to be re-added on other forums, why on this one?
    Because it causes additional work when upgrades are released, which is fairly often. But the bigger problem is that I do not, and never will, add unsupported code modifications to the forum. Some administrators have forums as a business, with tending it being their "job". This one is not. I simply don't have time, nor the inclination, to figure out the problems caused by unsupported modifications.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    Bumper, What could be the harm in turn over the DC site to a guy with 5 posts since April?

    Smart Allack off Hitch

  6. #6
    Member Array bruce272's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Nanuet, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Because it causes additional work when upgrades are released, which is fairly often. But the bigger problem is that I do not, and never will, add unsupported code modifications to the forum. Some administrators have forums as a business, with tending it being their "job". This one is not. I simply don't have time, nor the inclination, to figure out the problems caused by unsupported modifications.....
    Way to go Bumper, futzing with code can definitely become a full time job and then some.

    I think your 1000% correct.

    Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

  7. #7
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Bumper, What could be the harm in turn over the DC site to a guy with 5 posts since April?
    No, I think it's a valid question. Can't fault someone for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    Way to go Bumper, futzing with code can definitely become a full time job and then some.

    I think your 1000% correct.
    I spent 28 years in IT, 15 of those as a programmer/developer. It's fair to say I'm tired of "futzing" with code....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I spent 28 years in IT, 15 of those as a programmer/developer. It's fair to say I'm tired of "futzing" with code....
    I only did 20 years before I burned out. The more things change, the more they stay the same .
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    Can't they just ignore with the little mouse button thingy??? You know, by NOT CLICKING ON THAT FORUM!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array Chevyguy85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Can't they just ignore with the little mouse button thingy??? You know, by NOT CLICKING ON THAT FORUM!!!
    glad i'm not the only one that thinks like this

  11. #11
    Member Array uncballzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    125
    I did something on another vbulletin forum where each forum has a certain number assigned to it--I took that number, and there is a way you can make a link using the "new posts" as a base, and be able to exempt those forums using your created link. I can't exactly remember how to do it, as it's been a few years; but others may know what I mean and help out.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Can't they just ignore with the little mouse button thingy??? You know, by NOT CLICKING ON THAT FORUM!!!
    That all depends on how you navigate the forum. I personally start with the "New Posts" button. Unfortunatly when you do this you only get the first 200 new posts, and if somebody goes through the new members section and says hi to 30 people, that sort of cuts out a big section of the reading for that day.
    I don't want to go through every forum to possibly find something that is of interest, so the new posts button is great.

  13. #13
    Member Array OldLincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    471
    I keep thinking somebody will come up with a Firefox Extension to enhance search for vBulletin. The code is very simple and straightforward but I can't get it into vBulletin from here.

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
    I took that number, and there is a way you can make a link using the "new posts" as a base, and be able to exempt those forums using your created link.
    I think what you mean, is that every forum has an ID. This is visable in the Admin control Panel under Forums & Moderators, and then Forum Manager. Usually the users can tell based on the URL, but DC is running SEO software so it adds the title instead of the typical vBulletin url for the forum.

    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum where the # is the forum ID is typically what you can use.

    The admin would add
    PHP Code:
    <a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew&amp;exclude=#">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a
    in the template(s) where # is the forum ID he wishes to skip.

    I'm sure Bumper knows this, but just in case anyone else has their own forum and are wondering what uncballzer was talking about.

  15. #15
    Member Array uncballzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I think what you mean, is that every forum has an ID. This is visable in the Admin control Panel under Forums & Moderators, and then Forum Manager. Usually the users can tell based on the URL, but DC is running SEO software so it adds the title instead of the typical vBulletin url for the forum.

    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum where the # is the forum ID is typically what you can use.

    The admin would add
    PHP Code:
    <a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew&amp;exclude=#">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a
    in the template(s) where # is the forum ID he wishes to skip.

    I'm sure Bumper knows this, but just in case anyone else has their own forum and are wondering what uncballzer was talking about.
    Yep! that's what I was meaning; thank you!

    Then, with that link and included the forums I did not want to see, I made it a bookmark so that when I click on it, it takes me straight to the new posts without the ones you didn't want to see in the first place.

    Thanks for your help there!!!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ignore as I can't Delete
    By LeChuck in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
  2. Ignore my ignorance Please
    By Dal1Celt in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: October 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
  3. Don't Ignore Health Issues
    By PaulG in forum Bob & Terry's Place
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM