Ignore Forum

Ignore Forum

This is a discussion on Ignore Forum within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Why can we not mark specific forums 'ignored' if we don't have any interest in their discussions? Many other boards I have seen have this ...

Thread: Ignore Forum

Ignore Forum

Why can we not mark specific forums 'ignored' if we don't have any interest in their discussions? Many other boards I have seen have this tool available.
    Doc Mark
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Life Member
    Walther PPS 9mm, Taurus PT-111 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP

Remember, when seconds count - the police are only minutes away.

This is one that's been asked many times in the past. The 'forum ignore' feature is apparently an add on to vBulletin (the software that DC runs on). If it was added, then it would have to be re-added every time there was a software update.

Brian

It doesn't seem to be a problem to be re-added on other forums, why on this one?
    Doc Mark
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Life Member
    Walther PPS 9mm, Taurus PT-111 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP

Remember, when seconds count - the police are only minutes away.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc usn View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a problem to be re-added on other forums, why on this one?
    Because it causes additional work when upgrades are released, which is fairly often. But the bigger problem is that I do not, and never will, add unsupported code modifications to the forum. Some administrators have forums as a business, with tending it being their "job". This one is not. I simply don't have time, nor the inclination, to figure out the problems caused by unsupported modifications.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper, What could be the harm in turn over the DC site to a guy with 5 posts since April?

Smart Allack off Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Because it causes additional work when upgrades are released, which is fairly often. But the bigger problem is that I do not, and never will, add unsupported code modifications to the forum. Some administrators have forums as a business, with tending it being their "job". This one is not. I simply don't have time, nor the inclination, to figure out the problems caused by unsupported modifications.....
    Way to go Bumper, futzing with code can definitely become a full time job and then some.

I think your 1000% correct.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Bumper, What could be the harm in turn over the DC site to a guy with 5 posts since April?
    No, I think it's a valid question. Can't fault someone for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    Way to go Bumper, futzing with code can definitely become a full time job and then some.

I think your 1000% correct.
    I spent 28 years in IT, 15 of those as a programmer/developer. It's fair to say I'm tired of "futzing" with code....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I spent 28 years in IT, 15 of those as a programmer/developer. It's fair to say I'm tired of "futzing" with code....
    I only did 20 years before I burned out. The more things change, the more they stay the same .

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Can't they just ignore with the little mouse button thingy??? You know, by NOT CLICKING ON THAT FORUM!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Can't they just ignore with the little mouse button thingy??? You know, by NOT CLICKING ON THAT FORUM!!!
    glad i'm not the only one that thinks like this

I did something on another vbulletin forum where each forum has a certain number assigned to it--I took that number, and there is a way you can make a link using the "new posts" as a base, and be able to exempt those forums using your created link. I can't exactly remember how to do it, as it's been a few years; but others may know what I mean and help out.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    That all depends on how you navigate the forum. I personally start with the "New Posts" button. Unfortunatly when you do this you only get the first 200 new posts, and if somebody goes through the new members section and says hi to 30 people, that sort of cuts out a big section of the reading for that day.
    I don't want to go through every forum to possibly find something that is of interest, so the new posts button is great.

I keep thinking somebody will come up with a Firefox Extension to enhance search for vBulletin. The code is very simple and straightforward but I can't get it into vBulletin from here.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
    I took that number, and there is a way you can make a link using the "new posts" as a base, and be able to exempt those forums using your created link.
    I think what you mean, is that every forum has an ID. This is visable in the Admin control Panel under Forums & Moderators, and then Forum Manager. Usually the users can tell based on the URL, but DC is running SEO software so it adds the title instead of the typical vBulletin url for the forum.

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum where the # is the forum ID is typically what you can use.

The admin would add
    PHP Code:
    <a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew&amp;exclude=#">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a
    in the template(s) where # is the forum ID he wishes to skip.

I'm sure Bumper knows this, but just in case anyone else has their own forum and are wondering what uncballzer was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I think what you mean, is that every forum has an ID. This is visable in the Admin control Panel under Forums & Moderators, and then Forum Manager. Usually the users can tell based on the URL, but DC is running SEO software so it adds the title instead of the typical vBulletin url for the forum.

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum where the # is the forum ID is typically what you can use.

The admin would add
    PHP Code:
    <a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew&amp;exclude=#">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a
    in the template(s) where # is the forum ID he wishes to skip.

I'm sure Bumper knows this, but just in case anyone else has their own forum and are wondering what uncballzer was talking about.
    Yep! that's what I was meaning; thank you!

Then, with that link and included the forums I did not want to see, I made it a bookmark so that when I click on it, it takes me straight to the new posts without the ones you didn't want to see in the first place.

Thanks for your help there!!!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Sponsored Links