ATTN: Webmaster/Everyone - Suspicious/Malicious content from this site

This is a discussion on ATTN: Webmaster/Everyone - Suspicious/Malicious content from this site within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by kahman Hey guys, I run usacarry.com and also had this hack. I've fixed it for now. Whoever is a moderator just needs ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Webmaster/Everyone - Suspicious/Malicious content from this site

Quote Originally Posted by kahman View Post
    Hey guys, I run usacarry.com and also had this hack. I've fixed it for now. Whoever is a moderator just needs to remove that iframe from the header template in vbulletin. Feel free to contact me if you need any help with this site admins.
    Looks like they exploited vbulletin sites using Tapatalk. Here is a post about it on another site.
    Prius Chat Virus Warning - Page 7 - PriusChat Forums

I have removed Tapatalk from usacarry.com.

I still see the iframe in the code here. All someone needs to do is remove it.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kahman View Post
    Looks like they exploited vbulletin sites using Tapatalk. Here is a post about it on another site.
    Prius Chat Virus Warning - Page 7 - PriusChat Forums

I have removed Tapatalk from usacarry.com.

I still see the iframe in the code here. All someone needs to do is remove it.
    There needs to be more checking going on other than just removing it from the header template. They need to go through and set all file/folder permissions to 644 if they are not and check their .htaccess file for information that has been changed and then admins and mods need to change their passwords.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    There needs to be more checking going on other than just removing it from the header template. They need to go through and set all file/folder permissions to 644 if they are not and check their .htaccess file for information that has been changed and then admins and mods need to change their passwords.
    This is correct. I checked .htaccess last night but failed to check forum permissions. They were, though, set to vbulletin's suggested settings. I believe the problem that enabled the code to return is that I had not replaced the vbulletin_global.js, the java script that was loading the code. I have removed all of the suspect code, completed the current vBulletin upgrade (which replaced all of the scripts) and double checked everything. I also completely removed TapaTalk and about a half dozen of our modification scripts that were not being used anymore.

I appreciate everyone's emails and PMs regarding this problem, which are too numerous to respond to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but should this problem return I would strongly suggest that you PM or email me (not all of you, please) and then log off of the forum. It appears this code is not really accomplishing everything it is trying to do but it's not worth taking the chance with. I am going to be in and out of my office so I cannot be here to monitor the situation 24/7.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    Thanks. I'm having my server admin check my file permissions now as well. I had checked htaccess and changes admin passes. Hopefully this keeps them out.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Three cheers for Bumper! I'm also a webmaster and I can appreciate how sticky these issues can be.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Smile

an I thought yall didnt want me hangin out with yall !

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

all this computer stuff makes me scratch my noggin

Removing tapatalk from phone

I wondered what the heck was happening. I went to use Tapatalk for this forum and USACarry. Says that the administrators disabled Tapatalk. I had no idea it was causing so many problems. I just installed Tapatalk two weeks ago on my Droid phone. Good thing I only paid 2.99 for it. UNINSTALL before I have problems too.

Anyone else on chrome have the thing "auto download" something yesterday without your permission? I found that part disturbing. The popup in some other browsers doesn't bother me nearly as much.

VIP Member

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I appreciate everyone's emails and PMs regarding this problem, which are too numerous to respond to....
    Never expected an individual response! Just sent the message, hoping that the behavior on IE using Webroot Internet Security Esencials might provide a clue, to someone far more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks for all your work.

Not just with this problem, but all your work in providing this site.

I was having real withdrawal symptoms.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Virus

My computer got the virus yesterday and I could not log into DC until my computer was repaired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Is tapatalk the vector?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    All's good here now!!

Thanks Bumper!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Never expected an individual response! Just sent the message, hoping that the behavior on IE using Webroot Internet Security Esencials might provide a clue, to someone far more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks for all your work.

Not just with this problem, but all your work in providing this site.

I was having real withdrawal symptoms.
    +1. Absolutely concur. Kudos to ALCON that had to deal with this mess!!!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links