Can someone explain what bots are?

This is a discussion on Can someone explain what bots are? within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I understand that they are from a search engine (I think), but what are they? What do they do on here?...

Thread: Can someone explain what bots are?

VIP Member

I understand that they are from a search engine (I think), but what are they? What do they do on here?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

A bot (short for "web robot) is a small piece of programming or software which run simple and repetitive tasks more efficiently and faster than a human could. They can be used for to speed up loading of often-visited sites, malicious purposes, tracking web usage, etc.

Hope that helps a little. If you need more information, I'd suggest using Google to search.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Moderator
    The ones you see on the "Who's Online" lists here are search engine utilities, which follow all the links on the site and index them in the search engine's directory.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The ones you see on the "Who's Online" lists here are search engine utilities, which follow all the links on the site and index them in the search engine's directory.

Matt

And this is why it is important, for those who have their own websites, to make sure your website URL is listed or is on other web pages. It makes your web page get indexed faster and automatically.
    ďI am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.Ē
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Thanks
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links