Problems with new forum software

This is a discussion on Problems with new forum software within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I am asking for input from people regarding things that are a problem with the new software. Please, do not use this thread for thing ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with new forum software

DC Founder

Exclamation Problems with new forum software

I am asking for input from people regarding things that are a problem with the new software. Please, do not use this thread for thing you "do not like". I'll post another one for that type of feedback.

Post your problems here, in this ONE thread as this is THE thread I will work from to resolve problems.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hadn't seen this thread before I posted the following on the other thread.

Too soon to be sure, but I done some searches that failed to find what I was fairly sure were there -- for example Keyword = "heller"; "Search entire post"; "Any date" and "newer" came up with only two threads. Could be I'm doing something wrong.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Too soon to be sure, but I done some searches that failed to find what I was fairly sure were there -- for example Keyword = "heller"; "Search entire post"; "Any date" and "newer" came up with only two threads. Could be I'm doing something wrong.
    I responded to your post over there but have pasted it here as well. There is a problem with the search indexes. I submitted it to run but had to cancel it. It is going to require the forum to be closed down completely for 4-6 hours to rebuild and I just don't want to do that before getting some of the other problems resolved first....
    Bumper

Cut off times

When you look at a list of threads the "Last Post" time is somewhat cut off. I'll see if I can get a pic for you.

Pic 1.jpg

VIP Member
    Just saw your reply and replied a thanks on other thread.

on the great job.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sometimes I get the following message when I attempt to click on some of the links.

Bark'n, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    For the last day and a half, I got that message just trying to click on the link to this forum page Forum News, Feedback, Problems and Comments. so I could let you know I was having problems.

Today is the first time I've been able to enter this section.

However, I still get the same error message when I try to click on Home at the top left corner of the page.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    However, I still get the same error message when I try to click on Home at the top left corner of the page.
    Actually, this was the same problem you were getting all along. It was bringing you in on the "Home" landing page. It was changed to land on the "Forum" page. You will ALWAYS get that error when you click on the "Home" page until I implement the CMS and that won't happen until I get all bugs worked out of the forum part of the software, the design is finalized and the search indexes are rebuilt. Off the top of my head I would say it will take 3-4 weeks before the CMS is implemented....
    Bumper

What da hey does CMS stand for?

Administrator
    Don't post anything in the CMS area as per Bumper.

Site won't come up thru newly created desktop icon or thru google. Got here thru bing. Given the last post...," Roger, we have a problem, over." How can I help ya Bumper?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    What da hey does CMS stand for?
    Content Management System. On the old site it was the page you got when you went to base URL (http://www.defensivecarry.com). It was a separate product that brought together the latest forum posts into an article format similar to a newspaper. Some liked it, some didn't. The built in CMS will allow us to take posts that are "reference" type posts and turn them into articles. Anytime you take the "Home" link before the CMS is configured (in 3-4 weeks) you will get error messages and unpredictable results.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Site won't come up thru newly created desktop icon or thru google. Got here thru bing. Given the last post...," Roger, we have a problem, over." How can I help ya Bumper?
    Not sure why you would need to do that, I have posted the correct URL several times yesterday. Use ONLY http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/ as your link to the forum.
    Bumper

VIP Member
    The you posted icon does not work.
    Excessive agreeing to the rules required.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    The you posted icon does not work.
    Weird, it works for me. What browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Excessive agreeing to the rules required.
    Explain. Unless you have not logged in in quite awhile, you should not have had to agree to the rules again....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Explain. Unless you have not logged in in quite awhile, you should not have had to agree to the rules again....
    No complaint, just feedback -- FYI, I had to agree to the rules when the site came back on line the other day and I'm on multiple times nearly every day.

No problem for me. Small price for all the great work you do for us -- just a click away and for me it only happened once.

I assumed something in the data base got corrupted and my click was an easy fix.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    ....Explain. Unless you have not logged in in quite awhile, you should not have had to agree to the rules again....
    Actually I had to re-agree with the forum rules before I could post under the new format. I suspect the change to the new version of vBulletin prompted this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links