What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; There seems to be some issue with "double printing" a word or two in posts...It may be my work browser or a new problem, but ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

VIP Member
    There seems to be some issue with "double printing" a word or two in posts...It may be my work browser or a new problem, but I didn't seem to notice it before. Basically, in several posts, is see the same word (or couple of words) repeated as the post "wraps" from one line to the next; the word will be the last word on one line and then repeated as the first word on the next line. I saw it happen to one of my posts and thought that I had just typed it twice, so I went back into edit to check - it was only typed once, but showed up in the actual post twice...

Very odd.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    It very well may be. At the very least you probably need to consider upgrading to IE8 for more reasons than just the forum display. There are a lot of security improvements to IE8 over IE6 that may be making your computer vulnerable. That being said, you owe it to yourself to try FireFox, a much superior browser. I was a "resister" for many years but when I finally did I kicked myself in the butt for not doing it much sooner. There is no big learning curve between the two, organizing bookmarks is MUCH easier, you can apply different themes to the browser, there are lots of productivity add-ons, etc. Mozilla, the maker of FireFox also makes Thunderbird (email program) and Lightning (calendering functionality for Thunderbird) that are also, in my opinion, superior to Outlook.....
    I switched over to IE7 and FireFox yesterday and can now see the proper icons throughout the forum. I suppose I will switch to IE8 whenever I get around to it.

Actually, this is my first post since the change. The background color makes it harder to see, and I felt very much at home and comfortable with the old set up. Since the change I seldom visit. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I like it except.............

I like the new layout better, but I do take issue to the ad banner on every page. It's so deep that when you change threads or topics you can't see the new page without scrolling down past the ad banner. I understand the need for ads, but these seem to be overpowering. I like the new colors, icons, fonts and overall look. It's definitely an upgrade. Good job!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Clicking on the double-right-arrow, which is supposed to head to the Last Post of a given thread, doesn't work for me. Have tried the typical blast-and-reattempt methods with the cookies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Everything seems a bit too crammed together, especially on the thread menus. They all sort of bleed into each other with little space to let the eye breath....... It actually looks very old-school, circa 1998 or so...... there is no helpful spacing which is hard on the eyes.
    Ditto, on this. The lean-and-mean style that Google has been using has, for better or worse, become the way of things. Uncertain whether there are other, uncluttered themes or "skins" to choose for the default in the forum, but I would recommend considering one of the leaner alternatives. If nothing else, it'll be easier to read, easier to take it all in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Actually, this is my first post since the change. The background color makes it harder to see, and I felt very much at home and comfortable with the old set up. Since the change I seldom visit. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
    The problem with this sort of statement is that you probably have no idea what was broken that you couldn't see. A while back another forum of mine changed over to a completely new system. Most people thought there was nothing wrong with the original, but what they couldn't see was the massive corruption of the database that was causing problems keeping the site running at the status quo and not completely crapping itself. Our game servers also switched over to a new admin system around that time. It broke a few toys that people liked, one or two of which we still haven't found replacements for. A lot of people hated it. What they didn't realize was that the developers of the previous system were completely dropping support for their system. There would be no further developments, enhancements, patches or updates. If we didn't switch, things were going to start breaking, people were going to find exploits and there would be no one to fix them.

Just because it didn't look broken to you, doesn't mean it wasn't.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

sure looks a lot different.good job bumper.i think i mostly like it ,colors are easy on the eyes.just take some getting used to.i usually don't like a lot of change much, but that's just me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The problem was it was broke and people were complaining about the problems.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    I like the new layout better, but I do take issue to the ad banner on every page. It's so deep that when you change threads or topics you can't see the new page without scrolling down past the ad banner. I understand the need for ads, but these seem to be overpowering. I like the new colors, icons, fonts and overall look. It's definitely an upgrade. Good job!
    Unfortunately, the software either puts the banners on all pages or we don't have them at all. If we don't have them, I would have to pay out of pocket and my pockets are currently empty. So, we have banners on all pages....
    Bumper

I've done a few searches on this in the Forum Feedback section, and can't find it. Unfortunately the term "Font" has been used a lot which makes searching for it a bit overwhelming.

Any way to set the default font size or view any larger? Other than using the "Ctrl - +"

I thought that there was a way to set forum views/skins in the user CP, but that may have been an older version of VB.

Already have my computer tweaked for font size and so on, which causes some issues with the content like pictures and navigation buttons/quicklinks overlapping into the text, or text in confined boxes wrapping around onto itself on some sites.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I've done a few searches on this in the Forum Feedback section, and can't find it. Unfortunately the term "Font" has been used a lot which makes searching for it a bit overwhelming.

Any way to set the default font size or view any larger? Other than using the "Ctrl - +"

I thought that there was a way to set forum views/skins in the user CP, but that may have been an older version of VB.

Already have my computer tweaked for font size and so on, which causes some issues with the content like pictures and navigation buttons/quicklinks overlapping into the text, or text in confined boxes wrapping around onto itself on some sites.
    I have already increased the font size as much as I can without making it so big that the design is thrown out of whack as you described. I am fairly certain that they are the same as the old version. We have never had multiple skins to choose from as each skin requires a significant effort to customize and I just have not had that much time available....
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Any chance of getting the number of threads raised from 20 to say 30 or 40 on the results pages when you do a new posts search? Also, when there are more than 100 new posts, the first page says page 1 of 5 100 even when there are more pages and the thread count is higher. It changes when you go to page 2 and then to page 3 and will finally show the right number of pages and posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I will look into both of these tomorrow....
    Did this ever happen by any chance? No rush just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks again for everything.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Did this ever happen by any chance? No rush just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks again for everything.
    I did and there is no editable setting that I can change it with. It is embedded somewhere in the code. I doubt if I will have a lot of time available to research where that setting would be until after my move across country is done and we are settled in.....
    Bumper

O.K. Bumper, what am I missing?
    When searching my old posts (under find all posts), I used to be able to hit my post and it took me to that particular post (mine). When it is in the middle of 10 posts (checking for replies), not a problem, but when it is a thread of 85 posts, I end up at the start of the thread instead of at my post #75. Not a BIG deal, but time consuming...what am I doing wrong?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When searching my old posts (under find all posts), I used to be able to hit my post and it took me to that particular post (mine) ... when it is a thread of 85 posts, I end up at the start of the thread instead of at my post #75.
    Happens to me as well. I'm assuming (guessing) that it's related to the indexing/search issue, which I believe is awaiting the availability of time to bring down the forums and reindex everything.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links