What I don't like about the new forum format - Page 11

What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Okay, I am going to try the index rebuild again tonight although I don't hold out much hope that it will work. The forum will ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

DC Founder
    Okay, I am going to try the index rebuild again tonight although I don't hold out much hope that it will work. The forum will be down during that rebuild....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper.... can we get back that little thing that says what time you last logged on?
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    Bumper, thanks for the hard work. You got me to donate to the site. Hope it helps. And the indexed search is a big improvement. But this thread is about what I don't like about the new DC.com.

Or, maybe it's a problem? As a reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    O.K. Bumper, what am I missing?
    When searching my old posts (under find all posts), I used to be able to hit my post and it took me to that particular post (mine). When it is in the middle of 10 posts (checking for replies), not a problem, but when it is a thread of 85 posts, I end up at the start of the thread instead of at my post #75. Not a BIG deal, but time consuming...what am I doing wrong?
    Search returns don't allow linking to the specific post only to the beginning of the thread.

The search returns don't allow linking to the point of the target post (one has to start at the beginning of the thread and scroll to the post that the search returned).

That includes searching either by keyword or by all-posts-by a member.

I would like another link in the returned results that allows linking to the returned posts in which the keyword or member search term appears wherever in the thread the post with the term appears.

Thanks, again.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Once I figured out how to change the type size and discovered I didn't need to sign in every time, I'm happy.

I can't believe how much I miss this forum when it's down.

Distinguished Member
    Hi Bumper,
    Is the dancing banana gone or am I not looking hard enough. That little guy just puts me in a good mood.

cg

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Search returns don't allow linking to the specific post only to the beginning of the thread.

The search returns don't allow linking to the point of the target post (one has to start at the beginning of the thread and scroll to the post that the search returned).

That includes searching either by keyword or by all-posts-by a member.

I would like another link in the returned results that allows linking to the returned posts in which the keyword or member search term appears wherever in the thread the post with the term appears.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like something that I would be able to resolve. I have, over the years, learned about programming in PHP but I generally tiptoe through their code. Anytime I make a change in the code I risk completely messing up the forum and having to start from square one. That being said, this could be a bug that will be fixed in the next patch, which I am going to apply this next week or in a later patch. Since vBulletin was acquired by another company I have found their support next to non-existent. When you post to the support forum, the only people that usually wind up helping are other forum owners.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Hi Bumper,
    Is the dancing banana gone or am I not looking hard enough. That little guy just puts me in a good mood.

cg
    This one?

It used to be called "danceban", now it is called "banana". I have no clue why. I will though add the smilie again under "danceban" so he won't be broken in older posts....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    We used to have a definite "Control Panel" choice with our "profile", though I'm not sure of the function options in either. But I got curious about "reputation" (I had one reputation "point") because it was available briefly between the last two updates. FAQ says that admins have to enable. FAQ also equates "Site Supporter" to reputation. Is "reputation" something that DC.com is going to use and, if so, how?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I also do not like the new colors. This is the second gun forum that has done this recently. Something in the water? I have no problem with the old white, black, blue color scheme and actually prefer it. This scheme seems very hard to see for me and has too many shades/colors it seems. There was such an uproar on the other site, they finally allowed you to switch back to default colors in your profile. Not sure if that is available here. Before they did that I had to run Greasemonkey which allows you to apply your own color scheme or download another preset one.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks!

testing

He is invisible, I just clicked on the empty space. The stealth banana.

Oh boy now he is stealth again. One minute he is there another he is gone.

Yes, we have no banana.

Hmmm

test 2:

Hooray!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    We used to have a definite "Control Panel" choice with our "profile", though I'm not sure of the function options in either. But I got curious about "reputation" (I had one reputation "point") because it was available briefly between the last two updates. FAQ says that admins have to enable. FAQ also equates "Site Supporter" to reputation. Is "reputation" something that DC.com is going to use and, if so, how?
    We never have used the reputation system as it was meant to be used. Those that donate have a reputation point of "1" which is the trigger for the contributor graphic. I use that because it was a convenient flag that required virtually no script changes. That means it won't change every time we have an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I also do not like the new colors. This is the second gun forum that has done this recently. Something in the water? I have no problem with the old white, black, blue color scheme and actually prefer it. This scheme seems very hard to see for me and has too many shades/colors it seems. There was such an uproar on the other site, they finally allowed you to switch back to default colors in your profile. Not sure if that is available here. Before they did that I had to run Greasemonkey which allows you to apply your own color scheme or download another preset one.
    Nothing in the water, everyone is just being forced to go to the new version which "looks" different. I have to tell everyone I am through tweaking the colors. We are very close to what we were before. And, the last couple of times I tweaked them people were used to the differences and complained about that. If you don't like the design of the new forum, that is regrettable and hopefully everyone will get used to it. You are free to use "Greasemonkey", whatever that is, but we also will not be adding additional color schemes. Trying to support one is enough work....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    Bumper, great job with the new links in the search returns.

Good job Bumper.

One thing I would like to see right beside "New Posts" is "New Threads".
    I always have to go to advanced search, select the "Search Single Type" tab, and then hit search in the options (make sure display results as threads is selected along with sort by date, etc).
    This way, I can peruse just the new threads if I don't care to see any new posts.

Just a suggestion. I can get by without it.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Good job Bumper.

One thing I would like to see right beside "New Posts" is "New Threads".
    I always have to go to advanced search, select the "Search Single Type" tab, and then hit search in the options (make sure display results as threads is selected along with sort by date, etc).
    This way, I can peruse just the new threads if I don't care to see any new posts.

Just a suggestion. I can get by without it.
    Unfortunately, custom searches and other complex things like this are not something I have control over and would be a major change in vBulletin's script. To my knowledge it has never operated in that way....
    Bumper

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links