What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by DaveH Harder to read and the size of the "Reply to Thread" boxes -- especially the Advanced. Specifically, why is it harder ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Harder to read and the size of the "Reply to Thread" boxes -- especially the Advanced.
    Specifically, why is it harder to read? The background colors? The font color (which is the same as before) or the font size? The reply to box can be enlarged by using the small up/down arrows in the upper right area of the quick reply window.....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Too soon to be sure, but I done some searches that failed to find what I was fairly sure were there -- for example Keyword = "heller"; "Search entire post"; "Any date" and "newer" came up with only two threads. Could be I'm doing something wrong. Could be it's not the new "forum format" but something in the data base that got corrupted.
    There is a problem with the search indexes. I submitted it to run but had to cancel it. It is going to require the forum to be closed down completely for 4-6 hours to rebuild and I just don't want to do that before getting some of the other problems resolved first....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And, the advertisements at the top everytime we enter into a thread become a real nuisance.
    In the old version we had to use a modification script to add the sponsor advertising blocks. It would only display on the main page. There is a new advertising system built into this version that requires no modifications. Once you put a sponsor block in a position, it automatically goes to every page with no way of distinguishoing between the "front" page or additional pages. This is not something that I will be able to change at this point.....
    Bumper

Have a hard time finding PM. Pax wrote some great articles and wanted to tell her so.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Have a hard time finding PM. Pax wrote some great articles and wanted to tell her so.
    See post #13, it's in a prominent place....
    Bumper

JD
    Administrator
    If anyone wants larger text, hit "CTRL" and "+" to enlarge/zoom the text on your screen.

new format dislikes

It wont load on my phone!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Specifically, why is it harder to read? The background colors? The font color (which is the same as before) or the font size? The reply to box can be enlarged by using the small up/down arrows in the upper right area of the quick reply window.....
    I suspect it is just the font size. Right now I have my monitor at 150%, which works OK in some screens.

Thanks for the tip on the "up/down arrows in the upper right area"

There is a problem with the search indexes. I submitted it to run but had to cancel it. It is going to require the forum to be closed down completely for 4-6 hours to rebuild and I just don't want to do that before getting some of the other problems resolved first....
    I sort of suspected that.

Good prioritize of issues.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The reply icons Always defaults to "Quick Reply". You have to go to "advanced" to post smileys. Give ya $25 to fix that thing! The "Home" in the upper left corner is useless.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I don't particularly care for the general appearance, but that's a peronal thing and I can learn to live with it. My biggest problem is that the "XXXX Member is a forum supporter" line is big, and flows into the post, blocking dome of ehat's written. Maybe it's just my browser (IE), but I like IE, so I won't be changing.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

It will take a little getting used to, but so far it's okay!

However, it does seem significantly harder to read.

I think the harshness of the white background is a big portion of it.

Also the thickness of the font characters could maybe be half a point or a point thicker and the font size may bumped up one size. I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe.

Also in the advanced reply box, the smiley icons are so tiny I need to use my magnifier feature to see what some of them are.

Overall, I think it will be a good and decent improvement. More fresh anyway.

However again, reading posts is significantly harder at least for me and that I think will effect how much time I spend here in the long run.

Too much eye strain and I definitely will have to leave for a while to relax.

I think someone has already addressed the "hyperlinks" as to at least being underlined and a different color would be even better. Standard hyperlinks are usually blue color.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreud View Post
    It wont load on my phone!
    Unfortunately, trying to make the forum more mobile phone friendly is what put is in the downward spiral that required the complete deletion and reinstall of vBulletin. I will, though once I am completely through install a template that is supposed to be better for mobile phones. Unfortunately, I am one of those people that refuse to be anchored to my mobile phone and do no surfing from it. I prefer my wide, flatscreen monitor....

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    The reply icons Always defaults to "Quick Reply". You have to go to "advanced" to post smileys. Give ya $25 to fix that thing! The "Home" in the upper left corner is useless.
    The "Home" is the link to the CMS. It will eventually be implemented but was the source of our other problems earlier today. Looking into the Quick Reply thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I don't particularly care for the general appearance, but that's a peronal thing and I can learn to live with it. My biggest problem is that the "XXXX Member is a forum supporter" line is big, and flows into the post, blocking dome of ehat's written. Maybe it's just my browser (IE), but I like IE, so I won't be changing.
    While, right now, contributors are text, not graphic, that will be fixed. That said, I don't do IE so have not experienced the other problem.....
    Bumper

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Some of the boxes, example (page 1 of 2, post quick reply), etc are difficult to see because the font color is too close to the background color.
    Proud NRA member

Looking into the Quick Reply thing....
    You've done a GREAT job Bumper! You'll need ALOT of coffee to fix that problem. Thanks for the response and best regards.

los
    Cool design. Has a more modern flare. Not harder to navigate, just different process. Like everything else when change occurs, we'll eventually adapt.

Thanks for a great job..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I like the new forum software but the site looks less like a website and more like a forum. Where are the ads to generate revenue? I used to like seeing the DC sponsor banners. Where have they gone?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links