What I don't like about the new forum format - Page 3

What I don't like about the new forum format

This is a discussion on What I don't like about the new forum format within the Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; More than anything it's just getting use to the new look. One thing I would like to see different is to get a brief display ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about the new forum format

More than anything it's just getting use to the new look. One thing I would like to see different is to get a brief display of what is in a post so you don't have to open it up and get into the thread if you don't think it is something your inteerested in. I know the old setup didn't do this and it was the one thing I really didn't like.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Last comment I posted with a couple of linked items in it did not display the links any different from the regular text - rendering them invisible. Readers would have been confused.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I guess I'll be the oddball. No complaints here at all, I like the new look and format. Thanks for a cool site to hang out and talk gun stuff.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    Whata great forum when the mods make a place for us to say "what we don't like"... you guys/gals run a great site! I do not have any complaints that I can come up with. I spend my life working in Word and Publisher on white backgrounds and the blue is a traditional windows color so for me it blends nicely, I like the top option at the bottom of pages. I deal with a few web pages and programs just enough to know I don't know enough nor the determination for that stuff, the fact the forum was down for the length of time it was show the problems encountered, the frustrations incurred and the coffee consumed. Thanks again!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    It's harder to read, and the menus aren't as user-friendly, IMO. The thread icons are harder to figure out. Is there a legend for them somewhere? "The Change" won't stop me from visiting, reading and posting, but it's not as enjoyable as it was. My .02.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is along the lines of what I felt. The other format seemed more comfortable to navigate and move to and fro, through. This seems more like some of the other forum group sites that I have visited through references and link connections to read a story or such. More mundane and "like most others".
    I definitely liked the old format much better.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

The biggest thing I dislike is the way things are layed out when you hit new post.

You have the subject, then replies/views, then last posted and then the forum the post resides in.

It would be nice to have the subject, then the forum followed by who posted last and the replies/veiws at the end

The color scheme in my opinion is hideous though. Makes the forum look cheap and reminds me of a bad geo cities web page.

Hey Bumper,

Ya done a righteous job in the redesign. Without trying to sound like the NY Art Director I am, the new site is excellent. I can't understand all the negative comments about it. Coloration is great, a white BG (background, not Bad Guy) works great, I'm viewing it on a 27" imac screen. maybe all those old (I'm 63) guys out there jsut can't cope with change.

As someone once said "Don't let the ******** wear you down".
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I like it; although change can be difficult, I'm sure I'll adapt. The font seems sharper, my account stays logged-in longer. Would like a "preview thread" option: cursor on thread title gives a 20 word highlight of the first post. Forum home page seems less cluttered and the "thread tools" option is easier to access by using the home key. Thanks for the improvements.

Hey, did we go back to almost what we were before? At least now I can find things again, ya musta worked all night getting this to work. LOL
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

As someone who has been designing websites for many years, I will give you my "two-bits" ......

Everything seems a bit too crammed together, especially on the thread menus. They all sort of bleed into each other with little space to let the eye breath....... It actually looks very old-school, circa 1998 or so...... there is no helpful spacing which is hard on the eyes...gotta let those eye breath.....

The top tab navigation the "what's new" tabs and such work well. Its a good jump system. Although at first glance I didn't think "what's new" actually meant "New Posts" I thought it was something else.....

Once inside the threads everything looks nice...similar to the old style with nice softening touches..... .

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Flight View Post
    Hey, did we go back to almost what we were before? At least now I can find things again, ya musta worked all night getting this to work. LOL
    Actually, what's funny, I didn't do anything over night. The forum was down most of the night when I clobbered the database while trying to install the gallery script. The colors haven't been changed since Thursday and they are so similar to what we had before that most could not distinguish the difference sitting side by side. The white that everyone is complaining about is not white at all, but a light gray-beige color. It's a little different from the original but certainly no lighter in shade. I'm still going to tweak them but getting some other features back as well....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    As someone who has been designing websites for many years, I will give you my "two-bits" ......

Everything seems a bit too crammed together, especially on the thread menus. They all sort of bleed into each other with little space to let the eye breath....... It actually looks very old-school, circa 1998 or so...... there is no helpful spacing which is hard on the eyes...gotta let those eye breath.....

The top tab navigation the "what's new" tabs and such work well. Its a good jump system. Although at first glance I didn't think "what's new" actually meant "New Posts" I thought it was something else.....

Once inside the threads everything looks nice...similar to the old style with nice softening touches..... .
    ^^^^In bold^^^^^Yep^^^^^^^^^

When I'm in say, the New post section,is the green arrow an indicator of threads I've already posted in?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have to use "CTRL" and "+" to increase the font size for my tired old eyes, and the background is just a little too bright for me, but overall I am happy with the new look.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do have a question about wading through repeat visits. In the old forum format when one would go back an look at posts 'after' his/hers, you would simply go to your own post and click (view forum posts) to get to your last post in that thread. Now when I go to my own posts and click on view forum posts, it takes me to the beginning of the entire thread. Am I missing something? If my last post was #55 with 10 more posts after it...I'm taken to the beginning of the thread.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    The white color is hard on my eyes.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links